View Single Post
      02-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #61
dkexige
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 8J TTRS

I may be the exception to the rule but I had a 65 year old salesman that was very knowledgeable about the 3 series. I am not talking about the kind of stuff enthusiasts are interested in, but rather in-depth knowledge that would be useful to anyone driving the car daily.

It definitely helped that he had an e90 himself as he was completely fluent with operating the car, even down to the voice controls. On my second visit, the dealer driver went home for the day and he offered to drive me home in his e90. I was thoroughly impressed that he used the voice controls to both put my address into the GPS and to call his wife letting her know he'd be home late because he was driving me home. He knew a lot about what packages did what for the cars because he bought one himself.

I think this strategy can work. I didn't feel like I was being sold a car, I felt like I was talking to someone that loved the product and genuinely recommended it. As to breaking the traditional dealership strategy, I think Tesla has been trying to doing it. The stores they have in malls definitely break the traditional model already, but they haven't hired people that know anything about owning one. Its hard to for them because they don't have cars that are affordable. BMW can do it.
Appreciate 0