09-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
When it comes to running the transmission in full automatic the 8-speed in the F30 is way superior to the DSG. The DSG might have a small advantage in paddle-mode but not that much. The new 8-speed is really the best auto I've tried.

This is of course my opinion. I owned a Golf R DSG just before my F30. And the box had LOTS of problems even after all these years. It selects the wrong gear a lot of times. Normal is way to sluggish and sport is way to aggressive for daily driving etc. The 8-speed is just perfect.
I know the DSG has had lots of software update, but imo you still feel more conencted with car....The DCT M3 i drove was a light year ahead of a slush box - no lag at all...in fact it was like driving a manual.

The other thing i am not too happy about is 8 gears. When you are in manual mode that's 2 more changes you have to make/think about compared to a 6 speed. the DCT has 7, but that last one is really not used unless you wont to go to jail

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Thank you for all your views.

Anyone gone from Manual to Auto due to the F30?

I must say, the choice to go BMW this time around had a lot to do with the feel of the 8sp auto box. I got on a test drive a 320D sport.
The alternative was the Mercedes 7G+ box, which feels more auto, and has an absolutely useless manual mode (it changes both up and down on it's own anyway, often before you would, and it also 'thinks' about the change gear input you have just given.
The BMW box also reacts very quickly, for example, should you need to downshift 2 gears to accelerate into that motorway space, the BM box reacts as you pull the lever. The MB would go away and have a think, then carry out what you asked.

This is all good.......but don't forget I am used to using my left arm, and being in exactly the gear I want to be in.
I also like manuals for being able to control the initial acceleration from a stand still.....a lot of bigger engined auto's have a noticeable pause and gentle application of power. As I have not driven the 330D I am unsure what to expect, it didn't seem too bad in 320D format.
I think you need to go and drive a 330d AT mate....as it sounds like prefer a manual - and there is nothing wrong with that