Rep
Drives: X3M

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW F30 3 Series Q&A and FAQ. We Answer Your F30 Questions
COMMENTS
Name:  P90081951.jpg
Views: 29308
Size:  108.0 KB

We recently asked our members to submit any questions relating to the F30 you may still have. We had the chance to get some answers for you from BMW during our F30 test drive in Barcelona last week, and here they are below.

If your question hasn't made it to the list it's probably because we don't have an answer (yet).
UPDATED on January 20th, 2012

Will the U.S. receive any diesel models?
There's no official yet word on this. BMW feels that the Active Hybrid 3 attracts different buyers than a diesel F30 would, so they're considering it. However, the E90 335d hasn't exactly been a sales success in the US, so they may be considering a different diesel engine offering this time.

Oliver Ganser: "We will not have a diesel for the model year 2012, but our last outgoing model (e90) was very successful with the diesel so we’re thinking about it."

When will xDrive be available?
Both 335i xDrive and 328i xDrive will be available as of July 2012 production.

Will xDrive be available with manual transmission?
For some models.

Will the xDrive model have an available sport suspension?
Yes, you can have sports suspension for the xDrive models now. The car will not be be lowered, however.

Is the wagon coming to the US?
There's no official date yet but the F31 wagon is coming to the US. Paul Ferraiolo confirmed this with us: "It's coming, we're not gettting rid of it, we love it", Ferraiolo said when we asked about the next generation 3 series touring. More from Ferraiolo: "The touring buyers - in terms of their passion for their touring model - they love it and feel very strongly about it."

Any Alcantara coming to the US?
No alcantara (and no cloth) in the US. This goes for the M-Sport package as well.

Electric or Hydraulic steering?
It's EPS, which is BMW's term for their electric power steering.

What generation runflat tires does the F30 use?
We use the latest generation RFT on the F30 now. It's a huge step forward in ride comfort, tread life, and noise reduction.

Is the PDC and Rearview camera the same set-up as in the 5 and 7?
Yes, same technologies flow down from the 5 series. There is front and rear PDC, rearview camera with parking guide lines, top down view, and front fender side view cameras.

Will a double clutch transmission be available?
No, BMW says a double clutch transmission adds no advantage over their newest 8-speed automatic. This obviously does not include the upcoming M3.

Will there be DCT option for M package 328i (N20)?
No, see above.

Why no staggered wheels standard for 328i?
Staggered wheels are available as optional wheels.
[Note: As far as we can tell, this applies to M Sport models only.]

Any plans to bring the uprated 315hp N55 in the 335i (as recently launched in the 6 Series Gran Coupe)?
No. The F30 N55 engine is the same engine as in the outgoing E90 model. We just decided that the 6 and 7 series will have the uprated N55 engine to 315hp. This won’t flow down to the F30. The uprated power in the 6 and 7 series comes from software only.
[Note: However, we were told during our F30 test drive in Barcelona that BMW is considering bringing the 315hp N55 to the F30 at some point (perhaps as a Performance option)].

Will there be BMW Performance parts for the F30, and if so, when?
Yes, BMW is currently working on their Performance parts program for the F30. This includes cosmetic parts (wheels, carbon fiber parts, etc.) and also performance options like a power upgrade for the 335i's N55 inline 6 (no power upgrade kit for the N20 inline 4 in the 328i). If everything goes well, the BMW Performance Program for the F30 will be available in late 2012.

Oliver Ganser: "You will see Performance parts soon."
[Note: Some BMW Performance and M Performance parts for the F30 have already been spotted [pictured right], via some photos taken at a recent dealer presentation - see the images here]

Will the M-Sport package include suspension updates?
Yes, the M Sport suspension is part of the M Sport package. There's also stand alone options for adaptive or non-adaptive M Sport suspension for cars not equipped with M Sport package.

Will xDrive come with electric or hydraulic steering?
Previously (as in the E9x and F10 models), BMW couldn't fit both xDrive and an electric steering rack due to packaging issues. They've now solved this, so xDrive models will have EPS (electric steering) as well.

Will the M Sport suspension will be available for on xDrive models?
Yes, adaptive and non-adaptive M Sport suspension options will be available for xDrive models, but it will not lower the car.

What about fixed-piston calipers?
The 335i comes standard with 4-pot fixed piston calipers front and floating calipers rear. The 328i has floating calipers on all four wheels.

What's the M Sport brake option?
The M Sport brake is a brake upgrade with 4-pot fixed piston calipers front and 2-pot fixed piston calipers rear. Rear brakes are 17 in. on both models while the front brakes are increased by one inch. Calipers will be painted blue (like the ones of the F10 M5) and will reduce unsprung weight.

What's the drag coefficient?
0.29 Cd for 328i and 0.30 Cd for 335i.

Each F30 model has been optimized for minimum drag and turbulence and to create directional airflow. A neat example - there are plastic aerodynamic sculpted sleeves on each rear control arm / wishbone to increase downforce and reduce turbulence on rear axle/suspension.

Are the aerodynamics of the F30 improved by the M-sport package, or is it only a cosmetic difference?
M Sport Package has same drag coefficient (Cd) value as the base models – 0.29 Cd for 328i and 0.30 Cd for 335i.

Is the F30's torsional stiffness higher than the E90's?
The F30 steel unibody's torsional stiffness is 30% higher than the E90.

When will the M-Sport package be available?
Production will begin July 2012 for September delivery. It can be ordered prior to July.

Will there be a power bump for the M Sport 335i?
No. We have increased cooling capabilities for the M Sport and Sport Line model, but no power bump. Many customers like the M Sport Package as just an aerodynamics package; that’s why we separated things like the Adaptive Sport Suspension and Sport Steering as options apart from the M Sport package, so customer can make choices between aesthetics and functional enhancements.

Why does the US M Sport model on display have no fog lights, unlike the European model?
For improved race capability. We need the air intakes for air. That’s why the fog lights are out. Because you have more driving on the racetracks than in Europe and you have different climate zones (some places are hotter). European models will keep their fog lights.

Will Adaptive Sport Suspension be standard on M Sport models?
Not standard, it will be an option.

Will M Sport brakes be included as part of M Sport Package for the US?
BMW have not decided this yet, but they will have the decision soon. The M Sport Package soon – July Production for September delivery. It can be ordered prior to July.

What is the default mode? Eco/Comfort/or Sport?
The F30 always defaults to Comfort mode.

When will Active Hybrid 3 be available, 9/2012?
Will also be offered in the same time frame.

When will Individual colors (exterior and interior) be available for the F30?
The suggested BMW Individual colors and combinations have not yet been released.
[Note: Remember, from our interview with Matt Russell last year at the NYIAS, any dealer can submit individual orders for you].

Latest status on F30 Front license plate mounting base:
The latest from BMWNA (as of 1/19) is that the first batch of 3 Series Sedans will be delivered to BMW Centers across the US with (but not necessarily attached) the large front license plate bracket shown in some recent photos. That is the reason we see it installed on some recent production cars. [Preproduction cars will still continue to be seen with it of course.]

As of last Thursday however, BMW production facilities have begun manufacturing a new license plate bracket that is smaller than the ones previously seen.

So, this means that some of the very early F30 cars will have the large front license plate base come with the cars, and the others that come after it will have a smaller plate base.

A front license plate holder will not be installed on US bound F30 models. A front license plate holder will be supplied for all cars in case it is bound for a State that requires front license plates. Sorry for any confusion that may have come from our previous posts on the matter. We were relaying what we found out and were told by BMW.

Appreciate 0