View Single Post
      12-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelbert View Post
When locating a recent E90, I was searching for only German assembled 335xi's and were harder to come by. Around here, South African assembled vehicles were plentiful.

I am considering doing an ED vs PCD for my F30 just to make sure the assembly is German.

**I think** that I will get a better quality product from Germany.

Am I off my rocker?

Is there ability to specify where the F30 will be built when placing an order?
It's a question I've wondered about as well.
I really don't think it makes much of a difference for a few reasons.

Regardless of where the final assembly is, the design and parts are identical, so I don't see any difference there.
Also consider that much of the assembly work is handled by robots, and that indicates equal performance in the quality of assembly.

As far as the parts that are assembled and installed by human hands, these workers are BMW trained and do the work in a BMW designed and equipped facility. I'm sure BMW trains the workers equally in any BMW plant.
For those reasons I wouldn't think that there would be much variability in the final product.

Perhaps you are like me and you expect your German automobile to be built by Germans. That then leads to the question you asked.

In the Chicago area I haven't run across many BMW's built in S. Africa.
The vast majority were from Germany.
I would think that there are a lot more German built BMW's for the
N. American market, and the S. African built BMW's are mostly for the mid. East and Asian markets and Aussie land.
Seems that would be likely due to transport needs.
But, that's just my guess.
Appreciate 0