View Single Post
      08-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #84
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr View Post
Well my thought process is that if it's true the sensors are able to pick up the FOB accurately even if the battery is dead, they wouldn't have required you to touch your key FOB to the side of the steering wheel when the battery on the FOB is dead in order to start you car.

On your comments about the ASS restart.... that would be true if the car was turned to Off to begin with. Since it wasn't turned off but merely in the "Ready" position, it would still restart. The reason being, if I am correct on my theory (about FOB not detected because battery being dead and car not immediately shutting down), it would be silly for the driver to have to touch the FOB to the side of the steering wheel every time ASS kicks in.

Therefore, it's not really a fault (car not shutting off when FOB not in range), but its designed that way. However, the issue of ASS not turning the engine Off when seatbelt and car door opens is clearly a fault.
There are 2 different things, if the FOB battery is deadish, the car will sense it in the car near the steering wheel as you said then stop sensing.
IF the battery is fine, it will sense it go out of the car, furthermore the car would be locked via CA or remote.

In that second case it is very clear that the driver is gone.

But i could also see a case where you would park for a few minutes at a store and have passenger stay inside the car with the AC. In that case ASS could stop and restart later when the temp gets up.
You could want that without passenger as well.

Implementing smart features is not easy. In this case it should shutdown, and yes the manual says so .. will have to wait and see if BMW can fix the bug.
Appreciate 0