View Single Post
      09-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #4619
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws360 View Post
As one with an F30 335xi on order I am both fascinated and upset that so many functions in the car are dependent on computer coding. Seems like too much "why tech" as opposed to "high tech" and that much more to go wrong.

Either way, I see there are a number of mods here that look appealing, i.e rear fog lights, video in motion, etc.

My questions are simple: Can a dealer tell if any portion of the vehicle's code has been modified? If yes, how easily can they void the warranty?

Still, I am interested in this. How does one find somebody able to SAFELY do this. I have little computer knowledge and don't own any Windows machines.

Thanks!
Well, if you want it done "safely," then you should do it yourself.

I code my car using a Mac running Windows in a Parallels virtual machine. Just turn off WiFi when you connect the cable to the wired Ethernet adapter.

Dealers can't tell you've coded something -- unless you do something like code an option the car didn't have built into it at the factory. Even then, they might not notice. The only way they'd notice you've coded the car is if they are really observant and notice features that other cars don't have. That's just not something most techs are going to notice.

What will happen is every time the car does something funky unrelated to what you've coded, they will update the entire car. This will reset your car to factory settings -- and you will want to recode the features you had and have come to rely on having.

IOW, there's no substitute for doing this yourself.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0