02-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #86
Dino355
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 SB BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
As dull as the E36 when it first came out ?

because right now, 20 years later, the E36 looks great, even better than some of the 2012 cars!

Actually, i have a much better appreciation for the E36 now than when it first came out ...
I agree that BMW do have a very forward thinking design - I hated the e87 1er and the e90 3er when they were first released but after a couple of years I loved both and more so now than ever.

The e36 IMO ALWAYS looked good (always has, always will) especially in M-tech form.

I loved the e90 LCI when first released but headlights aside I can take or leave the bonnet/hood, rear tail lights and the other minor differences they made (this is coming from someone who has both LCI and pre LCI in his household!)

For me any BMW is at it's most purest BEFORE they have given it a mid life cycle facelift as that was how the designers ORIGINALLY intended it. Facelifts are just a refresh to make up for design updates, to keep up with the Jones' (rivals) and an excuse to market the same car with some new features.

Again I say it is right to compare the original e90 (not LCI) with the new car in the same way I think it's prudent to line up original 3 series when showing their ancenstry and heritage. Am I making sense? I hope so

Back to the F30 - for me they have made a pigs ear of the design (as we say in England). I hope it grows on us I really do but somehow I don't think it will. I'm sure that one day I will own one purely because I will want something newer but I will always say the e90 looked better (the same way I say the e36 looks better than the e90!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
The hood line wont go away with a LCI of the F30. It is there for a reason, as is the shape of the whole front. I'll give you 3 tries to guess why.....
I'm not even going to begin to guess why it's there - I'm intrigued as to what you are getting at though, so please, do ellaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
e90<f30< e90 lci
f30 doesn't have the stance of the e90!
from profile it just doesn't look good at all.
it;s kind of mixed feelings-from some angles looks fine , from other it just doesn't
Hit the nail on the head with this really.

The profile is the WORST part of it.

I'm sure an M variant with some nice wheels will probably address some of the looks issues.

However, as they say, 'you can't polish a turd......'