View Single Post
      03-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #18
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
At first I thought the E60 went too far beyond BMW and stole ideas from Honda and Alfa. But then it aged and it looks better to me today than it did 10 years ago. I think the zeitgeist of the moment corporate design languages age much less gracefully than the individual designs Bangle brought to each line. But he was also the last one to have only the cores of the product line to deal with. With the pie being both expanded and sliced thinner i get why BMW has adopted a more Audi-like "one look in many sizes" idea. But I don't think it's better design

The new 2er coupe is an exception for me. I think it is one of the few f-cars that is instantly recognizable from a distance
To me the e60 has aged terribly, and so has the e63 and e65.
If you take the e60's front, it's got these "dragon eyelashes", and the backside is chopped (especially looking at it from the side view).
If you take a look at the e63's front, it has a look of a droopy eyed anteater. And the back side...that backside, the trunk looks misplaced, with a ton of empty space. And if you look at the e65 vs the timeless design of the e38...the e65 has the face of a bloated clown, and again...that backside.
All in all, it seems that the designs were forced---like a uncool kid trying to be cool. Abstract design to just be abstract.
Oddly, the e60 M5 and the e63 M6 are leaps and bounds more aggressive looking than the F10 M5 and the F12 M6, but not as cohesive and pretty as them or as slick, elegant and as timeless as the e39 M5.
Appreciate 0