View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Honestly that's what I saw too. And of course you still see these drivers in ditches. On the bright side, with AWD they can probably get their scraped up car out of a ditch pretty easily ;-)
I see cars with snow tires in the ditch as well, the worst part is that if you are in a RWD with snow tires and both rear wheels are in the ditch or stuck, you are shit out of luck unlike a X-drive which still have the front wheels to pull you out. Another problem with RWD cars with snow tires is that they cannot get up a steep hill without sliding where as a X-drive have the front wheels to help pull the car straight up. Both AWD and winter tires have their advantage and disadvantage, looking at the sales numbers in the snow belt states, it’s pretty safe to say almost all BMW owners prefer the X-drive advantage and find the disadvantage very minimal. Another advantage of the X-drive is that if you find the X-drive with all season tires setup still not good enough for your winter driving conditions, you can still step it up with a set of snow tires when as a RWD with snow tires will never be as good as a AWD with snow.

Last edited by The X Men; 12-18-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0