View Single Post
      07-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

Although I take everybody's point with regards to not "worrying" etc, I think you're all slightly missing the point that this is an issue that is clearly affecting UK owners at least, if not our american friends.

Although the UK press reports have stated that this type of theft can affect many manufacturers; what we are seeing here in the UK is a clear concerted effort to target BMW owners. I daresay that official press reports have been careful to mention it afflicts other manufacturers for fear of damaging their relations with BMW HO. Certainly if you look at the Pistonheads forum, many people have come forward to say their BMW has been stolen in this manner, though I can't recall any other marque owners making similar noises.

A family friend of ours living in London recently had their E90 320i taken in this manner and was specifically told by the policeman that gangs operating in London and Birmingham were targeting BMWs. Comparatively, theft rates for Audis, Mercs etc. were very low in comparison.

The gangs/scum in question have evidently found a flaw/loophole in BMW's security system; not just through the OBD port; but also the alarm sensors given that most vehicles have been taken without the alarm ever triggering.

Whilst I'm sure US owners may well think its scaremongering (and perhaps it is for you guys), there is a clear problem here in the UK which F30 owners at least ought to know about so that they can take precautions.

And as for insurance will cover it and everyone will be happy as larry.... I mean really???! None of you will be gutted to see your pride and joy taken away knowing that a simple precaution could have prevented it? I don't know about your insurance situation in the US, but here in the UK, a total loss claim on your insurance could potentially make it prohibitively expensive to re-insure your new BMW the following year.

Hopefully none of the "F" models are affected, and its only the "E" models that can't be caught by this method, but it'd be nice to know either way.
Appreciate 0