10-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #46
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Not tryin' to argue but I disagree a little. I don't think having issues with windshield wipers, ASS, having the car go limp, steering vibration, brake squeal are only things that only enthusiasts notice. Come to think of it, I actually think enthusiasts are more forgiving of little problems. In my experience, it's the nonenthusiasts that point out all the creaks and noises of my BMW.. as they're more inclined to use Lexus as the bar of smoothness and reliability. (Although I rather take creaks over a stuck accelerator pedal any day).

Personally, I think the CR reliability thing is funny because a car's reliability score shouldn't be measured in less than a year of it's new generation. However, my wife thinks it's funny because our brakes squeal like a banshee, our exhaust flap screeches louder than Gilbert Gotftried, and ASS just decided to put the car in Park at a stoplight yesterday. Most nonethusiasts say the same thing... "If you pay $50k+ for a LUXURY Sedan, it should be damn perfect." Whereas I tend to think, "It's a $50k+ SPORTS Sedan. For little problems I can just take it in to the dealer for a fix. Not that big of a deal."
Like you, I'm somewhat forgiving of minor things. If a fault doesn't compromise my car's utility as a transportation device, it won't bother me too much and I'll just have it addressed when I take the car in for its next regular servicing. That said, when asked by CR if I had a problem with this or that, I'd still say, "yes." That something that failed didn't bother me doesn't mean it didn't fail.

Also, regardless of whether you think of your 3er as a sport or luxury car, it's hardly unreasonable to expect that the for the 6K to 25K premium one pays for a 3er vs. an Accord or Camry, that it should have certainly no more faults, major or minor, than do those less expensive cars. (FWIW, I've never thought the price of a car made it anything other than more or less expensive than other cars, and the price definitely doesn't make it luxurious)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0