F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Another confusing NBT EVO HU purchase
Studio RSR

09-03-2023, 12:09 AM   #1
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 xDrive28i

Another confusing NBT EVO HU purchase

Good day to you all! Since my last thread on an NBT EVO HU, I decided to skip the budget section of eBay and go straight to the premium section. I bought an NBT EVO from a reputable seller and checked every connection to verify it looked like an accurate NBT EVO HU. Sticker said HW 4.1, year is mid-2018. All connections are in place without GPS (like I expect). I bought it.

Retrofitting went surprisingly well. I changed the VIN, was able to code the VO to it after injecting CAFD and I was about to get some certificates until I realized that I'm looking at the ID5 interface. No biggies, I thought, I will just code the interface to ID6_Lite and be done.

Now, when looking at my latest saved NCD, I see that under HMI_VERSION it says "id4_plus_plus". What the hell, I bought an original ID5/ID6 unit no?

Can anyone give me some tips so that I can verify what I actually own now? Why would it show id4_plus_plus? Is there a way to verify this is actually proper HW4.1 hardware? E.g. can I see how much RAM is installed?
Here is the decoded VIN of the car out of which this unit came: https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/wbaks820900z24576

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 02:36 AM   #2
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update that might help: I see that A4A_PROD_YEAR is set to 2015, which is my car's build date. Could it be that the VO coding resulted in many values adapting to my car (e.g. the prod year) and that also resulted in the change of HMI_VERSION?

Any help on diagnosing the true version of my NBT EVO HU would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 07:37 AM   #3
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep

Final update: so although the coding was confusing, I looked at the hardware and it indeed does have the correct hardware including the 4GB installed. It has the older NBTEVO_N software installed and that, combined with my VO probably, must be why it reset to ID4++. I was able to set the ID to ID6_lite now, and enjoy the ID6 interface.
Appreciate 1
fe7565557.50