F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > New to the F30 chassis
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
scoobysmak
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 D

New to the F30 chassis

Recently picked up my 2017 328D sedan, Msport. (does not have adaptive suspension or Mbrakes). For this question price is not a concern but I will say value is a consideration.

I plan to put some coilovers and front strut bar, as a note I have never installed coilovers on anything as of yet. Most of the driving will be interstate but on a rare occasion it will see the track (friends that run and I might take a lap just because I am there). I plan to run forged 18" wheels currently but that might change.

Has anyone put a front strut tower bar on a 328D, just figured I might ask what might or might not fit. I also see rear strut tower bars as an option but anyone running one to give input on how hard it was to install and was it worth it. Also how much trunk space is lost.

I am 100% set on coilovers just not sure the brand or type. I see KW and BC listed a lot in the coilover thread although there was a picture on page 10 of a flatout coilover install and good reviews (like the stance as well). I need to understand/verify the common terms listed in that thread, things like:

1. Adjustable dampening: This basically is how stiff or soft you set up the car
2. Adjustable rebound (more $$$): This allows you to adjust how fast or slow the car returns to the set hight after a dip/bump

Some of the others things I didn't see mentioned for the brands how these are adjusted. I would like something I do not have to take apart the car to do. I would prefer that I could do anything on while it was on the ground but that's probably overkill and not realistic.

Other concerns might be parts I want to add later will not fit with what I select now. I can't really think of anything off hand but maybe there is a "gotcha" that I am missing.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congrats and welcome!

What's your budget for coilovers project including installation and 4 wheel alignment?

For reference, KW V3 Coilovers are perhaps one of the best options because they offer independent
adjustable compression and rebound dampening. One caveat: the lowering range may not be acceptable for some drivers that prefer OEM / near OEM suspension height.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-3522000d.html

The above link contains links to installation and adjustments instructions so you could get comfortable with the process before buying.

If budget is flexible, Ohlins R&T coilovers are worth exploring. Ohlins can be set at near OEM height.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #3
scoobysmak
Rep

Budget is really flexible, say 12k for suspension and rims and tires. I can always go back and put on different wheels but a bit harder to swap suspension parts. I am not sure how low I can really go before I start to really screw with breaking something. I do plan to put on a carbon fiber splitter and side skirts, i assume I will loose around an inch of clearance doing this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysmak View Post
Budget is really flexible, say 12k for suspension and rims and tires. I can always go back and put on different wheels but a bit harder to swap suspension parts. I am not sure how low I can really go before I start to really screw with breaking something. I do plan to put on a carbon fiber splitter and side skirts, i assume I will loose around an inch of clearance doing this.
Thanks for replying. $12K USD for all suspension, wheels, and tires?

If that's the case, coilovers can fit nicely in this budget.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #5
scoobysmak
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Congrats and welcome!

What's your budget for coilovers project including installation and 4 wheel alignment?

For reference, KW V3 Coilovers are perhaps one of the best options because they offer independent
adjustable compression and rebound dampening. One caveat: the lowering range may not be acceptable for some drivers that prefer OEM / near OEM suspension height.

The above link contains links to installation and adjustments instructions so you could get comfortable with the process before buying.

If budget is flexible, Ohlins R&T coilovers are worth exploring. Ohlins can be set at near OEM height.
From your last comment it looks like these would be your suggestion:

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/2012...l=f30-3-series

?

It looks like this set does the compression stroke and the rebound to make it flexible enough to do both the street and still excel at the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Congrats and welcome!

?

It looks like this set does the compression stroke and the rebound to make it flexible enough to do both the street and still excel at the track.
These are incredible coilovers, you cannot go wrong with Ohlins R&T. Far better than the competing options so long as you do not want a large drop in ride height, which I would definitely not suggest if adding a splitter.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

?

Ohlins R&T coilovers do not have individual controls for compression and rebound. Instead, there is one control knob (aka adjuster) set at 7 clicks at the factory.

When the adjuster is rotated, the bias is towards changing the rebound and compression to a lesser degree. Specific ratios are not disclosed.

If you can afford Ohlins coilovers, there are very few alternatives - if any.
Appreciate 0