F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Surround View Questions
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Surround View Questions

Can Surround View be used when driving? I mean, obviously, yes it can, but can you use it say, on a motorway? Or highway if you\'re American . Like PDC, is there a speed restriction on using it or could it be on permanently if you so wished?
Likewise, can the Reverse Assist Camera only be used whilst, like the name suggests, reversing? Or can that be switched on at any time/speed?

Tah!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
paul386
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Both the rear view camera and top view turn off and will not turn back on somewhere around 15-20MPH in my 2011 X3.
paul386 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
ibimmer346
Major
 
Drives: 2013 650i GC, 2002 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Posts: 1,240
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 650i GC  [0.00]
There's a specific button to turn on the rear camera in my 535i. I haven't tried pressing it while driving down the road. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it activates.
ibimmer346 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386
Both the rear view camera and top view turn off and will not turn back on somewhere around 15-20MPH in my 2011 X3.
Ah, thats what I feared. I'll give that option a miss on the F30 then! I thought it may be good use as a blind spot monitor.
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibimmer346
There's a specific button to turn on the rear camera in my 535i. I haven't tried pressing it while driving down the road. I'll try it tomorrow and see if it activates.
Mmm.... 535i Yeah give it a go! What's the worst that could happen?
KABOOM! HPFP!
I've only seen it very briefly in an F30 I sat in, but do you reckon the view is large enough to take on the roll of blind spot monitor or am I just being an idiot?
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Rdx
Private
 
Drives: F30 320i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NL

Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)

I already tested this in the F10, it did not work until you drop around 5km/h overhere. Very annoying because I was showing people how it worked that good; obviously there faces were like; "yeah, works like a charm".


Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Mmm.... 535i Yeah give it a go! What's the worst that could happen?
KABOOM! HPFP!
I've only seen it very briefly in an F30 I sat in, but do you reckon the view is large enough to take on the roll of blind spot monitor or am I just being an idiot?
Personally, I would say no. I was not able to see the real world in it all the time (but it was a little bit dark! to be honest), it looks like the screen has just a little bit to little sharpness in it. If I would put the iPhone 4S screen next to it, the iPhone 4S looks more like the real thing to me.

Others found it very nice & cool to see, so it is really up to yourself. Test-drive a F10 and test it yourself.

Last edited by Rdx; 01-29-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Rdx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdx
I already tested this in the F10, it did not work until you drop around 5km/h overhere. Very annoying because I was showing people how it worked that good; obviously there faces were like; "yeah, works like a charm".


Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Mmm.... 535i Yeah give it a go! What's the worst that could happen?
KABOOM! HPFP!
I've only seen it very briefly in an F30 I sat in, but do you reckon the view is large enough to take on the roll of blind spot monitor or am I just being an idiot?
Personally, I would say no. I was not able to see the real world in it all the time (but it was a little bit dark! to be honest), it looks like the screen has just a little bit to little sharpness in it. If I would put the iPhone 4S screen next to it, the iPhone 4S looks more like the real thing to me.

Others found it very nice & cool to see, so it is really up to yourself. Test-drive a F10 and test it yourself.
Ahh, I must say I wasn't blown away by the quality of the picture on the iDrive screen in the F30 but it was a pre-production model. Our 330d is going in for its final service (and a few repairs) on Feb 6th and the dealer said they are more than happy to lend us an F10 for the day. It'l be a 520d but you never know, it may have surround view!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST