F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hong Kong F30 Launch Party
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Diver
Colonel
 
Diver's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 2,409
iTrader: (0)

Cars and babes..
__________________
Diver is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #24
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
I agree HK is a mature market and was used as a "beachhead" for many auto brands looking to expand into China.....The Hong Kong market is more traditional in their tastes, more "Western" if you will.

More "Western" cos the main brand building exercises by various brands were mostly done during the 60's/70's/80's, when China wasn't even a blip on the radar. The main objective was to establish the brand locally & both Mercedes & BMW did successfully during that time.
Nowadays a lot of local HK car buyers are either Western educated or have lived overseas, therefore local consumer tastes are very mature.
HK is still the beach head for marketing new products as local HKers are seen to be very receptive of new techs/styles. As a matter of fact, the HK is one of the initial launch markets for the F30 in Asia.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
kcleung
Private First Class
 
kcleung's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 323
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

audi had v aggressive marketing campaign in hk in the last few years. this f30 launch at best only matches audi's effort. still good to see such massive event from bmw hk as lux car makers can and have launched new cars in shanghai.
__________________
BMW Performance Brakes
kcleung is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
More "Western" cos the main brand building exercises by various brands were mostly done during the 60's/70's/80's, when China wasn't even a blip on the radar. The main objective was to establish the brand locally & both Mercedes & BMW did successfully during that time.
Nowadays a lot of local HK car buyers are either Western educated or have lived overseas, therefore local consumer tastes are very mature.
HK is still the beach head for marketing new products as local HKers are seen to be very receptive of new techs/styles. As a matter of fact, the HK is one of the initial launch markets for the F30 in Asia.
But why would China be on the radar back in the 60's and 70's in the first place? They were closed off and in the throes of the Cultural Revolution then. In any case, I think China and Hong Kong markets have very much gone their own way now. The tastes and preferences of mainland buyers are not quite the same as those of Hong Kong. In that respect, HK is not really a "beachhead" for the mainland market like it was in the 90's and early 00's.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #27
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Thanks for sharing! If there was one event like this in the states... it would have been packed ... but then again... why would there be one in the State, either you like the BMW 3 or you just hate it... there is no need to convince nor win anyone over.. its just another car among so many others... transportation in Asia is still something reserved only to the most priviledged, and a young market full of competition to win for the image... each car maker has still the chance to anchor their image and reputation among the elite, and by extension the desire of the common people....
This is not true for mass market at all. (to the point of “the most priviledged”) China PV sales volume was 18mm units in 2011, having surpassed US a couple of years ago. While, luxury segment (like BMW, MB and Audi) is somehow layback contributing a small portion so far (but need to bearing mind that from the the absolutely prospective, BMW sold 240k units in China in 2011, very quite closer to 305k in USA during the same year. BMW expects the China will surpass USA in 2012 in terms of total units sold)
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #28
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
But why would China be on the radar back in the 60's and 70's in the first place? They were closed off and in the throes of the Cultural Revolution then. In any case, I think China and Hong Kong markets have very much gone their own way now. The tastes and preferences of mainland buyers are not quite the same as those of Hong Kong. In that respect, HK is not really a "beachhead" for the mainland market like it was in the 90's and early 00's.
I totally agree. I don't think HK is the beachhead any more... for a while I would say. Like many major cities in China, Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong, ppl are more international and taste and preference tends to be more "common" from a western prospective. However, for the mass majority population in China, the taste and preference is unique.
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #29
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
More "Western" cos the main brand building exercises by various brands were mostly done during the 60's/70's/80's, when China wasn't even a blip on the radar. The main objective was to establish the brand locally & both Mercedes & BMW did successfully during that time.
Nowadays a lot of local HK car buyers are either Western educated or have lived overseas, therefore local consumer tastes are very mature.
HK is still the beach head for marketing new products as local HKers are seen to be very receptive of new techs/styles. As a matter of fact, the HK is one of the initial launch markets for the F30 in Asia.
Bearing in mind there will be no F30 in China as Brilliance will do the China-only F35 (long wheelbase) 3 series domestically (for models up to 325)
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #30
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution View Post
I don't know about the cars but sexy asian chicks...i'm in.
LOL, Asian chicks usually don't like big white dudes... but can't speak of Hongkies girls tending to have strong taste. LOL
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #31
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmouth Studio View Post
Yes, I agree with clarence that Hong Kong is a very mature market & not a "young market" at all. The competition is hot not because the market is young but because the higher sector is packed with other famous premier brands such as Benz, Porsche, Audi, Lexus,...and Hong Kong is the entry point for BMW into mainland China. After the success in Hong Kong, after BMW entered mainland China, now mainland China is the 3rd largest market of BMW & there are 2 BMW factories in mainland China, then you know Hong Kong is not "young".
BMW & other famous brands already developed their clear image in Hong Kong for many years. Next time if you have a chance to come to Hong Kong, you will feel it.
HK is not a young market but at the end of the day, it is a small market. Nowadays, it tends to be more like a hub for S&M
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #32
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Who are you kidding? There are plenty of 3 series/C class and A4s in Hong Kong. It's just that there are also alot more big limos like the S class and 7 series in Hong Kong than many other places.
wow, you are gonna see way more 5 and 7 in Shanghai than HK...LOL
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #33
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
But why would China be on the radar back in the 60's and 70's in the first place? They were closed off and in the throes of the Cultural Revolution then. In any case, I think China and Hong Kong markets have very much gone their own way now. The tastes and preferences of mainland buyers are not quite the same as those of Hong Kong. In that respect, HK is not really a "beachhead" for the mainland market like it was in the 90's and early 00's.
I never said China was on the radar back in 60's & 70's. It wasn't a blip on the radar meaning nobody cared nor even thought about that market.
HK & PRC tastes have never converged, so they have been on their separate ways since day 1.
HK is still a beach head for mainland market in terms of potential new product introduction, not in terms of manufacturing but in terms of marketing. Showrooms & car shows attract a lot of mainland traffic & data are being collected at those venues.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #34
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcleung View Post
audi had v aggressive marketing campaign in hk in the last few years. this f30 launch at best only matches audi's effort. still good to see such massive event from bmw hk as lux car makers can and have launched new cars in shanghai.
The aggressive campaign started back in 2006, & it coincided with Audi AG's worldwide strategy.
Audi's worldwide sales started growing aggressively at the same time.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #35
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclariel View Post
Bearing in mind there will be no F30 in China as Brilliance will do the China-only F35 (long wheelbase) 3 series domestically (for models up to 325)
Yes, but F35 is fundamentally still a F30 & is still a 3er.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #36
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclariel View Post
HK is not a young market but at the end of the day, it is a small market.

HK is in the top 5 or 6 in the whole APAC region in terms of sales for BMW.
PRC may dwarf HK in terms of mkt volume but HK is a larger mkt for premium brands than many SE Asian countries.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #37
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
HK is in the top 5 or 6 in the whole APAC region in terms of sales for BMW.
PRC may dwarf HK in terms of mkt volume but HK is a larger mkt for premium brands than many SE Asian countries.
Indeed.
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #38
jclariel
Private
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I never said China was on the radar back in 60's & 70's. It wasn't a blip on the radar meaning nobody cared nor even thought about that market.
HK & PRC tastes have never converged, so they have been on their separate ways since day 1.
HK is still a beach head for mainland market in terms of potential new product introduction, not in terms of manufacturing but in terms of marketing. Showrooms & car shows attract a lot of mainland traffic & data are being collected at those venues.
Frankly, don't think many mainland ppl traveling down South for the launch party because they have much bigger grand launch party in Shanghai or Guangzhou etc..
jclariel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #39
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I never said China was on the radar back in 60's & 70's. It wasn't a blip on the radar meaning nobody cared nor even thought about that market.
HK & PRC tastes have never converged, so they have been on their separate ways since day 1.
HK is still a beach head for mainland market in terms of potential new product introduction, not in terms of manufacturing but in terms of marketing. Showrooms & car shows attract a lot of mainland traffic & data are being collected at those venues.
Perhaps for those mainlanders that come to HK, useful information can be taken to gauge their preferences. I would agree that since the mainland used to be behind HK in terms of market development, HK did serve a very useful role for those seeking to enter the mainland market. But for the vast mainland market, many automakers nowadays (including BMW) don't really need to establish a HK "beach-head" first I still think. The American automakers don't sell in the HK local market yet they are doing quite well in the mainland. They can conduct market research directly on the mainland without having to go through HK.

I will say HK is still important in the Asia market, not for it's size, but for the relative ease of HK buyers to embrace Western auto trends.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #40
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclariel View Post
wow, you are gonna see way more 5 and 7 in Shanghai than HK...LOL
I should clarify my statement, more big limos in HK like the S class or 7 series compared to many places outside China .
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclariel View Post
Frankly, don't think many mainland ppl traveling down South for the launch party because they have much bigger grand launch party in Shanghai or Guangzhou etc..
The launch party was for local press & loyal BMW customers.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #42
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
But for the vast mainland market, many automakers nowadays (including BMW) don't really need to establish a HK "beach-head" first I still think. The American automakers don't sell in the HK local market yet they are doing quite well in the mainland. They can conduct market research directly on the mainland without having to go through HK.
BMW is already well established in PRC & the hard work was done abt 10yrs ago.
American automakers didn't sell in HK cos apart from Cadillac, the rest (Chevrolet & Buick) are not exactly premium brands. Cadillac did try to sell their STS in HK but it was not a success. In actual fact the Americans have it much easier cos brands such as Buick are already well established since the 1930's. Also GM China's products are all tailor made for local consumption hence no need to go thru HK.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
Wcc
New Member
 
Wcc's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: YVR, Canada

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

why am i not in HK at that time T^T.....must have been awesome.
__________________
Wcc is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #44
JohnMan
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
BMW is already well established in PRC & the hard work was done abt 10yrs ago.
American automakers didn't sell in HK cos apart from Cadillac, the rest (Chevrolet & Buick) are not exactly premium brands. Cadillac did try to sell their STS in HK but it was not a success. In actual fact the Americans have it much easier cos brands such as Buick are already well established since the 1930's. Also GM China's products are all tailor made for local consumption hence no need to go thru HK.
Toyota, Honda or Mazada aren't consider premium brands either but they are doing alright in Hong Kong. Given the different size and market structure, I don't think there is that great a connection or relevance between the HK and Mainland market, beyond some general shared taste in luxury brands.
JohnMan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series f30 launch, 3 series forum, 3-series forum, bmw 3 series f30, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 3-series forum, bmw f30, bmw f30 3 series, bmw f30 3-series, f30 3 series, f30 3 series forum, f30 3 series launch, f30 3-series, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 launch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST