F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why don't all manufacturers just use a Max Perf tire for their sport packages???
GetBMWParts

03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
Drivaar
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Question Why don't all manufacturers just use a Max Perf tire for their sport packages???

Upgrading tires costs just a tiny amount (for example, RE050A -> PS2 or PSS is only a few tens of $ per tire)... but in return, they would win every comparison test and get numbers that make the car look like a Ferrari (0.93+ Gs, for example).

I get that they are trying to shave $ everywhere they can, but since they are buying in bulk, the difference would be so tiny... and it would only be for their sport packages. So why not do it???

And then there are the stupid car mags doing comparisons on cars with totally different tires... the tires are a bigger factor than anything else for perf #s! (Sigh...)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Raspartan
Captain

Drives: F30 335i

I'm guessing because winning those comparisons is not the only consideration. Those tires wear out faster and probably ride harder. Not all buyers would be ok with that.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
stampchez
Captain

Drives: 2013 135is

I'm happy that I ended up with the S001s. It sounds like those blow some of the other 3 Series tires out of the water. The worst part is that it is probably just luck of the draw.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
rohms3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 328i

In 2010 BMW sold 400,000 3 series.

Multipy 400,000 x 4 = 1,600,000 tires

Say a PS2 costs $5 more than RE050A. This is just a random number, BMW obviosly puts tires out for bid and we have no way of knowing their cost. In reality the difference could be higher or lower.

$5 x 1.6 mil = $8 million

The core demographic for this car certainly isn't shopping/making decisions based on G's. An extra $8 million in GP will more than make up for the lost sales if there are acutally people who buy cars based on such a useless statisic for a street car.

Get where this is going....
rohms3 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
justinnum1
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 335i Msport

the contis 5's are nice too

the good years and pireli suck
      03-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Drivaar
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

I get the $ difference -- but wouldn't BMW make up a TON more money by having cars that "handle like Porsches" (or Ferraris) -- with high-end tires, you get phenomenal numbers... phenomenal numbers get phenomenal press... which gets you a great brand.

(All that said, it's clear that BMW is totally going mainstream and ditching the performance side of the brand anywhere it can in favor of a wider audience.)

But some other manufacturer (Mazda, for example) should do this and take the crown that has been voluntarily abdicated!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
NGuyadeen
First Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i Sport

I got ContiSports on mine they have a tread rating of AA which is the best BMW pics the best tires remember since their run flat there's not many options and each tire is tested my potenza in my E90 had a A rating these conti have more groves and grips. I hate Pirreille tires i despise them lol i would have returned my Car if they put them on Mine. 5 dollars makes a difrfrence but BMW will always put the best of the best in thier cars
NGuyadeen is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
stampchez
Captain

Drives: 2013 135is

I understand why you wouldn't put super aggressive/expensive tires on every car out of the factory.

I don't understand why you would have sport models in your test fleet that don't have the sportiest rubber that's offered on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
rfx45
Lieutenant

Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [5.00]
Realistically, what percentage of 3-series buyers would care? I think most buyers of the 3-series, even of the sport models, would not mind as much. The bad press and/or word of mouth on the expensive tires wearing out faster would cause more negative feedback than positive.

And about a third (maybe even more) of the enthusiast who buys the 3-series that will notice the difference, will switch wheels and tires anyways.

And so far, I've seen less than a handful of complaint about the tires as a huge problem and the F30 seems to still dominate it's class so in the end it doesn't seem like a big problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
mapezzul
Special Agent

Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
I get the $ difference -- but wouldn't BMW make up a TON more money by having cars that "handle like Porsches" (or Ferraris) -- with high-end tires, you get phenomenal numbers... phenomenal numbers get phenomenal press... which gets you a great brand.

(All that said, it's clear that BMW is totally going mainstream and ditching the performance side of the brand anywhere it can in favor of a wider audience.)

But some other manufacturer (Mazda, for example) should do this and take the crown that has been voluntarily abdicated!
BMW is already out performing every luxury/sport brand there is with base cars and BMW does offer cars with high performance tires from the factory- they are called M cars and they are the performance models not the mainstream cars that need sports packs. They are selling more cars and making more money (profit) than ever before so they are doing things right in that sense.

I am missing the point of this argument- you want the best performing BMW- buy an M. If you don't want that then you probably don't need the stickiest tires either.

The other issue is the ability to get that kind of supply from and OEM, high performance tires are not the ones they mass produce all the time but run in waves and are constantly changing runs- BMW has BMW spec Michelins PSS for the M5 and Porsche has their own as well for the 911 so they are run in batches.

The F30 now has the newest RFTs and they are really good for a base tire on all accounts- I was very impressed at Catalunya with them in all honesty.
mapezzul is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Raspartan
Captain

Drives: F30 335i

When you're on an enthusiast site such as this one, and you're surrounded by members who are (often) of like mind, it's easy to forget that enthusiasts probably make up less than 5% of the market.

The majority of the 1.6 million BMW buyers last year probably didn't care what tire was on the car that they test drove. I'll bet they would have cared a great deal if their tires had to be replaced after only a year of driving on them.

As mentioned by rfx45 above, the enthusiasts that did care about the kind of tire would probably just have changed them anyway.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #12
ATX78703
Major

Drives: 2014 335i

i understand both sides of the argument - the cost factor is certainly a real issue, but you're paying extra for the sport pkg / msport pkg so you should get better quality tires. Sport pack buyers are concerned about the road feel, grip and handling and tires are the most impt thing. it's not about pulling 0.95 g's, but there is a subjective feel to it.

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
but you're paying extra for the sport pkg / msport pkg so you should get better quality tires. Sport pack buyers are concerned about the road feel, grip and handling and tires are the most impt thing. it's not about pulling 0.95 g's, but there is a subjective feel to it.
U do get good tyres if u buy M-sport pack, but for Sport pack the runt of the litter is the Goodyear EfficientGrip. Otherwise the others such as Pirelli P7, Continental CSC, Bridgestone etc are good tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Feanor
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

I think there's an argument for being able to specify your own tyres but I think the majority of BMW customers want to enjoy a "sporty" drive while saving on fuel. Also, few people buy their cars based on how many G's it pulls but plenty buy based on fuel economy, and I doubt BMW can post the amazing economy figures they do post based on fuel-saving tyres and then sell many of their cars without the fuelsavers.

I think the main issue here is that car mags should fit all their test cars with the same tyres prior to testing. They can test the OEM tyres as well, by all means, but I think anyone interested in the slalom figures is likely to want better than OEM tyres anyway so such a test is meaningless.
Appreciate 0