F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Car Detailing Thoughts.

03-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Raspartan
Captain

Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I guess not, I've never heard of them! I'm not entirely convinced though - I have a pressure washer and it doesn't seem to be very effective at removing sticky road grime, even when soap is sprayed on first. I'm careful not to risk going too close to the paint with it though as I understand pressure washers can damage paintwork when used less than 30cm away.
Well the one near my house uses a soapy foam and pressure spraying, so it's not just water. I've been through these types of wash at least a hundred times with no ill effects. Oh, except the one time when my door lock froze but that wouldn't be an issue with Comfort Access.

They're not perfect though, will still leave grime in spots but you don't get the swirl marks. I suppose they're a good way to keep clean in between hand washes, or perhaps automated cloth washes.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
      03-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
ScheerSpeed
Major General

Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Send a message via AIM to ScheerSpeed Send a message via MSN to ScheerSpeed
When I do ED for my F30, I will be taking it to one of the Swissvax Centers in Europe the day after delivery!

http://www.swizol.ch/PicturesOH092011/index.html
ScheerSpeed is offline   United_States
      03-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #25
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F13 640 MSport+JB4

I have heard that dealers do some level of detailing prior to delivery but the "best" work definitely not. Of the 4 cars I have owned I do a full detail about 2 months after receiving it as fresh paint from the factory will require about 2-3 months to cure.
      03-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #26
rackley
Enlisted Member

Drives: Deployed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post
Yes, the paint will never be better than when it is new. Clay with new paint is a complete waste of time; there's nothing on the paint to remove.
There are all kinds of particles in the paint. I don't know if it's from transport or what. My last new (as in factory new) car was an 09 370z and when claying I could CLEARLY feel with my hand where I had clayed and not clayed. The clayed paint felt butter smooth and the non-clayed paint had very distinct stuff embedded in the brand new paint that I could feel. You can't see it, but you can feel it.

Of course, I drove it probably 200 miles home before making this evaluation...
rackley is offline   Kuwait
      03-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #27
jzcrna
Captain

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackley View Post
There are all kinds of particles in the paint. I don't know if it's from transport or what. My last new (as in factory new) car was an 09 370z and when claying I could CLEARLY feel with my hand where I had clayed and not clayed. The clayed paint felt butter smooth and the non-clayed paint had very distinct stuff embedded in the brand new paint that I could feel. You can't see it, but you can feel it.

Of course, I drove it probably 200 miles home before making this evaluation...
I immediately clayed my car and got tons of debris. If you never clay your car again, it should be done right when you get it, before your first detail.

Formerly I was a fan of Zaino products, but love the look of carnauba on dark colors and the Zaino process takes wayyyy too long.

I did my first detail yesterday. One day after driving it home from Atlanta.

wash with Zaino Z-7
Clay with Zaino Clay
Application of BMW Carnauba Nanowax.
Application of Eagle one spray nanowax (I cannot say enough about this product. It leaves your car soooo silky smooth. I highly recommend it.)

After an hour I applied Zaino Clear Seal or Z-CS to seal the waxes in and provide protection. My car's finish is smooth and glistening. Its cheap, simple and didn't take all day. Well, about three hours
      03-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
fg3

Drives: 2012 335i

I usually try to keep my posts positive, but there is just so much bad advice and misinformation on car care in this thread.

If you are serious about taking care of your paint, head over to the Autopia forums: http://www.autopia.org/forum/forum.php

If you do take anything away from this thread, TEAShea has the right idea.

Also, this is incorrect: - the factory wax is perhaps the best wax your car will ever see, so don't be too anxious to wash, polish or wax your car during its first or even second year -

When your paint is new is the best time to properly clean it and protect it.
      03-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
TEAShea
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 328i

The factory does not apply any wax. Neither does the VPC.

During transport on the rail from the factory to Bremerhaven, the cars can get some rail dust, particularly on the rear bumper area. However this is less than it used to be since BMW now uses enclosed rail cars. In addition the cars pick up debris from their travel on the ship. The VPC does wash the car but they don't clay it - so the embedded debris is still there. The amount of debris varies a lot from car to car - but it you use a light colored clay you can see what it picks up.
      03-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
JoeyO
Lieutenant

Drives: silver car

Regarding that dry detailing spray, I rarely use it. It never does as good as job as washing your car. Sometimes it even embeds hard dirt in the wax, if you don't use plenty of it.

I only keep a bottle on hand to remove bird poop off the finish. The longer that poop sits on your finish, the more harm it does. Caution with bird poop: It often has fine grit in it (sand?) and can act like an abrasive while rubbing over your finish. I know this from firsthand experience. Constantly rotate your rag.

By the way, I've found an alternative use for One Grand Blitz wax. Not only does it provide a great shine (best shine IMO, but it doesn't last very long) it also is a great contaminants remover. I've used it to remove oil spots, stains, and tar spray from my finish. It has to be in its wet state (before it dries) and it must sit on the contaminant of a little while to be most effective. Then just wipe it off with a rag.
JoeyO is offline   United_States