F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Nebraska 328i
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
TEAShea
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nebraska

Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)

Nebraska 328i

I picked it up yesterday - sportline / alpine white / black interior with aluminum and red accents. This is my fourth BMW - also have a 2012 SLK350 and 2012 C63.

I have been a bit off BMW's for a few years but I found that the new F30 struck a cord with me. Now that I have it, I like it. Here are a few random comments:

The hood is aluminum - not mentioned in any BMW literature I have seen.

Start stop is a slight nuisance - I always automatically turn it off - easy to do.

Nice transmission.

I like the steering - why the whining?

It sure sounds like a diesel - BTW this is because of the direct injection - not because it is an I4. Interesting my SLK350 also has direct injection but does not sound that way - unless you open the hood and listen carefully

Too quiet - I like exhaust sound and this has almost none. Will post a separate thread on this.

Good quality interior.

Soft paint - much softer than Mercedes (which has nano particles in the clearcoat)

Very good car

I drive is easy - much improved over earlier versions.

Seats are very good - except -- I am 5'8" and would like to sit a bit higher.

Underbody is very aerodynamic - better than any car I have owned - even the areas under the rear fenders and bumpers are covered.

Tom
TEAShea is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
 
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
 
Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC

Posts: 580
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
I picked it up yesterday - sportline / alpine white / black interior with aluminum and red accents. This is my fourth BMW - also have a 2012 SLK350 and 2012 C63.

I have been a bit off BMW's for a few years but I found that the new F30 struck a cord with me. Now that I have it, I like it. Here are a few random comments:

The hood is aluminum - not mentioned in any BMW literature I have seen.

Start stop is a slight nuisance - I always automatically turn it off - easy to do.

Nice transmission.

I like the steering - why the whining?

It sure sounds like a diesel - BTW this is because of the direct injection - not because it is an I4. Interesting my SLK350 also has direct injection but does not sound that way - unless you open the hood and listen carefully

Too quiet - I like exhaust sound and this has almost none. Will post a separate thread on this.

Good quality interior.

Soft paint - much softer than Mercedes (which has nano particles in the clearcoat)

Very good car

I drive is easy - much improved over earlier versions.

Seats are very good - except -- I am 5'8" and would like to sit a bit higher.

Underbody is very aerodynamic - better than any car I have owned - even the areas under the rear fenders and bumpers are covered.

Tom
+1
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
SCBimmerKid is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (0)

Pics plz...
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
 
Drives: 2012 335i MW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Omaha, NE

Posts: 358
iTrader: (0)

Hey Tom - if you're in the Omaha area we should go for a drive and grab a beer when my 335i sport line gets here!
huskercubfan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,998
iTrader: (0)

very nice, i like the steering too
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
malc410326
Private First Class
 
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
very nice, i like the steering too
+1 Agreed!
malc410326 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
JoeyO
Lieutenant
 
Drives: silver car
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Wow, is the hood really aluminum? Anyone stick a magnet to it?
JoeyO is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel
 
bimmerjph's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,974
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
It sure sounds like a diesel - BTW this is because of the direct injection - not because it is an I4. Interesting my SLK350 also has direct injection but does
I never thought about that. Interesting.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 04-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Raspartan
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 693
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
I never thought about that. Interesting.
I think I read somewhere that it's the sound of the solenoids clicking away.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
PrinceBarin
Major
 
Drives: 430D
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK

Posts: 1,279
iTrader: (0)

Congrats on your new car and for the comments.

Going to have to ask for pics though!
PrinceBarin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Elk
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
I think I read somewhere that it's the sound of the solenoids clicking away.
The clicking of DI is the injectors operating at the requisite high fuel rail pressure, similar to diesel injectors.
Elk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Raspartan
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 693
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The clicking of DI is the injectors operating at the requisite high fuel rail pressure, similar to diesel injectors.
Good to know, maybe they will improve this in the future.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Elk
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

It is not a pleasing engine sound. I suspect the quick, high pressure pulses will always be noisy and improving the sound will involve sound-proofing, etc.

Given that diesels continue to clatter, we are likely stuck with the noise.

Interestingly, however, the 328 to my ears sounds more clangorous than the 335.
Elk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST