F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Headrest question
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Headrest question

I noticed on my new 328 that the driver side head rest was not down all the way when I bought it. I tried pushing it down (pressing the button of course) and it would not go all the way down. The passenger side seat rest was in fact all the way down. So I lifted the driver's side one all the way up and then it went all the way down no problem.
So of course being the the curious one I was I lifted the passenger side one up to see if it would go all the way back down. If course it didn't. No matter what I did it would not go back down.
Since I was taking my car in for a wheel balance issue I had them look at it. They had several 328's in stock that had the head rest was all the way down but when they lifted it up like I did, it would not return all the way back down.
And by that I mean the bottom of the head rest resting on the top of the seat. Every one except my driver's side one stops at the lowest detent a little over a inch or so above the seat.
My dealer is kinda stumped as to why my driver side goes all the way down but none of the rest do and yet when the car's were delivered almost all of them were all the way down.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Does yours go all the way down?
Thanks,
Paul
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
645
Rep
6,940
Posts

Drives: 340i M-sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I noticed on my new 328 that the driver side head rest was not down all the way when I bought it. I tried pushing it down (pressing the button of course) and it would not go all the way down. The passenger side seat rest was in fact all the way down. So I lifted the driver's side one all the way up and then it went all the way down no problem.
So of course being the the curious one I was I lifted the passenger side one up to see if it would go all the way back down. If course it didn't. No matter what I did it would not go back down.
Since I was taking my car in for a wheel balance issue I had them look at it. They had several 328's in stock that had the head rest was all the way down but when they lifted it up like I did, it would not return all the way back down.
And by that I mean the bottom of the head rest resting on the top of the seat. Every one except my driver's side one stops at the lowest detent a little over a inch or so above the seat.
My dealer is kinda stumped as to why my driver side goes all the way down but none of the rest do and yet when the car's were delivered almost all of them were all the way down.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Does yours go all the way down?
Thanks,
Paul
That's interesting indeed. Wonder why?

BTW, do you keep the headrest down that low because your head rests in the middle of the rest when it's all the way down?

I'm 6-1" and find I have to put the headrest up a good bit so that my head sits comfortably towards the middle of the headrest.
To work properly the headrest needs to be adjusted so that your is fully supported by the headrest when you lay back into it.
Your head should not be on top of the headrest where your neck is hitting/contacting the top of the rest. In an accident you want your head to fully contact the headrest and be fully supported by the headrest so that your head doesn't snap back and hyper-extend.

I tend to sit very upright when driving, it gives me the best feeling of control. On longer drives I sit back and my head rests comfortably on the rest. My current 135i doesn't have much adjustment to the headrest position, as it only goes up or down, but it works.
I don't recall on the new 3, does the headrest allow for any fore and aft adjustment, along with up and down adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's interesting indeed. Wonder why?

BTW, do you keep the headrest down that low because your head rests in the middle of the rest when it's all the way down?

I'm 6-1" and find I have to put the headrest up a good bit so that my head sits comfortably towards the middle of the headrest.
To work properly the headrest needs to be adjusted so that your is fully supported by the headrest when you lay back into it.
Your head should not be on top of the headrest where your neck is hitting/contacting the top of the rest. In an accident you want your head to fully contact the headrest and be fully supported by the headrest so that your head doesn't snap back and hyper-extend.

I tend to sit very upright when driving, it gives me the best feeling of control. On longer drives I sit back and my head rests comfortably on the rest. My current 135i doesn't have much adjustment to the headrest position, as it only goes up or down, but it works.
I don't recall on the new 3, does the headrest allow for any fore and aft adjustment, along with up and down adjustment?
I'm only 5'9" so I tend to keep the head rest low. It does have both fore and aft along with the up and down.
Really just wondering if anyone else's went all the way down.
All the BMW web pictures show the headrests all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Ashbmw
Private
Canada
7
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2014 435 xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Milton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
my drivers side would not go all the way down even if I lift all the way up. no probs with passengers side though. Wonder if it is defective or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
npgatech
Private First Class
npgatech's Avatar
7
Rep
169
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Oh my god - I had the exact same problem, but I didn't post it here since I thought I must be missing something very obvious.

My driver's side headrest was all the way down initially. Then I pulled it up, but it won't go back down! There is now always 1" space which is quite annoying. It was much more comfortable with the headrest all the way down. Ofcourse, I can't test anything since my car is being shipped at the moment, but thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic Artist View Post
Oh my god - I had the exact same problem, but I didn't post it here since I thought I must be missing something very obvious.

My driver's side headrest was all the way down initially. Then I pulled it up, but it won't go back down! There is now always 1" space which is quite annoying. It was much more comfortable with the headrest all the way down. Ofcourse, I can't test anything since my car is being shipped at the moment, but thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
That is exactly what my passenger side did. It just doesn't make sense that they would ship it all they way down but not let it go down once you moved it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Ashbmw
Private
Canada
7
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 2014 435 xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Milton

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I will take mine to the dealer tomorrow let's see what they say...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
SCBimmerKid's Avatar
21
Rep
580
Posts

Drives: Mineral Grey F30
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head, SC

iTrader: (0)

This may not be it, but I know my sister was having this same problem in her 08 Cayenne and we struggled and the dealer struggled to get it all the way down, but there were TWO buttons. The obvious one on the side of the headrest itself, and then another on on the base of one of the metal posts that needed to me pressed to put it ALL the way down (It blended in with the lip of the entry into the seat). I know these are two different brands, but maybe it's a German thing?

EDIT: Here's the picture from the Owner's Manual. It was as I suspected!!
Attached Images
 
__________________

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
18
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: bmw F30 320iA
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The netherlands

iTrader: (0)

I had the same problem, with both seats. Its because there is some sort of pin in the hole witch you cant push in. One hole has a button witch you can push in so the pin slides away, the other hole doesnt have the button. I,ve pushed the other pin away with a screwdriver untill it got stuck, and so got the headrest to slide completly down
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

I got my passenger headrest all the way using a thin pick to push the retaining pin back. I hope to keep it that way.
The funny thing is I was able to get it down normally but when I tried to repeat it did not work.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
327Cayman
Enlisted Member
Canada
27
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi M Perf
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

I have the dealer checked out my headrest and they can't figure out why it did not move all the way down. They checked other new F30 and they all have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #12
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
461
Rep
3,779
Posts

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic Artist View Post
Oh my god - I had the exact same problem, but I didn't post it here since I thought I must be missing something very obvious.

My driver's side headrest was all the way down initially. Then I pulled it up, but it won't go back down! There is now always 1" space which is quite annoying. It was much more comfortable with the headrest all the way down. Ofcourse, I can't test anything since my car is being shipped at the moment, but thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.
I was toying with the sitting position and of course i played with both front head rests....

Initially both were down touching/resting atop of the backrest...
but once i lifted them, no way i could put them all the way down to the initial position...

so now both are in the 1 inch gap position like Entropy...

???

If anyone can have a clear answer please!!

E90Fleet to the rescue ???
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
malc410326
Private First Class
12
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
If anyone can have a clear answer please!!
Is there any update regarding this particular headrest issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc410326 View Post
Is there any update regarding this particular headrest issue?
My dealer told me that they talked to BMW and were told that the head rest's were not "Supposed to" go all the way down. Apparently the European cars are allowed to go all the way down but not American ones.

Not sure I buy it but the dealer is not going to go any further.
I just use a thin pick to push the retaining pin back and allow the head rest to go all the way down. Kinda like you see on all the pictures on BMW's website.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
brad0
Private
6
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

same problem here, the headrests dont go all the way down which is where I'd want them.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Elk
Major
-30
Rep
1,285
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

Just be certain that you are short enough for them to do their job in the fully depressed position. Most of us are tall enough that they need to be higher to be effective.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #17
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
DrivenByE30's Avatar
France
461
Rep
3,779
Posts

Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

iTrader: (0)

My guess is that:

because the Headrest has the tilt feature...

the enginers at bmw have to force the gap to exist; in order to allow the tilt to happen...

because if the headrest rests all the way down, it cannot be tilted...

that would be my only explaination..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
11
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2014 F15
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
I noticed on my new 328 that the driver side head rest was not down all the way when I bought it. I tried pushing it down (pressing the button of course) and it would not go all the way down. The passenger side seat rest was in fact all the way down. So I lifted the driver's side one all the way up and then it went all the way down no problem.
So of course being the the curious one I was I lifted the passenger side one up to see if it would go all the way back down. If course it didn't. No matter what I did it would not go back down.
Since I was taking my car in for a wheel balance issue I had them look at it. They had several 328's in stock that had the head rest was all the way down but when they lifted it up like I did, it would not return all the way back down.
And by that I mean the bottom of the head rest resting on the top of the seat. Every one except my driver's side one stops at the lowest detent a little over a inch or so above the seat.
My dealer is kinda stumped as to why my driver side goes all the way down but none of the rest do and yet when the car's were delivered almost all of them were all the way down.

Has anyone else noticed this?? Does yours go all the way down?
Thanks,
Paul
Paul, let me ask you. You think you have a wheel balance issue? let me also guess, the steering wheel vibrates when you get between 40 - 60 mph? If this is your case, then welcome to the club. It's not wheel balance. I had the same thing. BMW can't fix it until now and it's been 10 days for me. A lot of other people reported the same problem and there is an entire post about it.

Make sure you test drive the car after you get it back from the dealer. They will tell you it's fixed but mine wasn't. Until the time of posting this, I'm waiting on BMWNA to find a solution for the vibrating steering wheel but they got nothing !!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #19
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Paul, let me ask you. You think you have a wheel balance issue? let me also guess, the steering wheel vibrates when you get between 40 - 60 mph? If this is your case, then welcome to the club. It's not wheel balance. I had the same thing. BMW can't fix it until now and it's been 10 days for me. A lot of other people reported the same problem and there is an entire post about it.

Make sure you test drive the car after you get it back from the dealer. They will tell you it's fixed but mine wasn't. Until the time of posting this, I'm waiting on BMWNA to find a solution for the vibrating steering wheel but they got nothing !!
Yes I have the same issue. I have had it at the dealer for this issue a couple of times already (they balanced wheels, replaced a tire). It goes back next Weds for another attempt. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
11
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: 2014 F15
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
Yes I have the same issue. I have had it at the dealer for this issue a couple of times already (they balanced wheels, replaced a tire). It goes back next Weds for another attempt. We will see.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I've been going through this for over 10 days now and I just got back a response from the dealer after contacting BMW: They have no fix for it until now !! and they have no idea when it could be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
8
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But I've been going through this for over 10 days now and I just got back a response from the dealer after contacting BMW: They have no fix for it until now !! and they have no idea when it could be resolved.
That's what I was afraid of. Just waiting for them to tell me. I expected to hear them say it's "characteristic of the car"
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #22
blindmule
Registered
Canada
6
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonE90-NL View Post
I had the same problem, with both seats. Its because there is some sort of pin in the hole witch you cant push in. One hole has a button witch you can push in so the pin slides away, the other hole doesnt have the button. I,ve pushed the other pin away with a screwdriver untill it got stuck, and so got the headrest to slide completly down
Is the second pin on the same post as the button? On the inner part of the post? or on the post without the button?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:59 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST