F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration

I understand there was a previous post about this issue, but I'm trying to get a feeling of how many owners have/reported this issue.

Simply put, the steering wheel vibrates when the speed gets up to 40 - 60 mph. The car does not vibrate, but the steering wheel does!

My dealer did a wheel balance and road forced wheel balance but the problem exists. So far they have no resolution for this matter.

Please share your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
mfear
South Florida Elite
mfear's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mfear
Yeah.. i started this issue here.

I went in yesterday to test drive another 328 sportline.. this one was a 6MT.. did the same thing. It's worse in comfort/eco; less noticeable in Sport mode.

My car has the Pirelli P7s.. the one I drove yesterday had the Goodyears
__________________
[2007 E93 335i 6AT | Crimson Red/Black Dakota | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | iPod/USB | JB+ | 15% Tint | AngeliBright LED Halos]

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

i just want to know how bad the vibrating is. i can feel mine barely, i think, or it just may be the feedback from the road. before this i had a car with warped rotors so when i braked the wheel shook a lot. it's definitely not that bad though.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
mfear
South Florida Elite
mfear's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mfear
yeah.. it's minimal. but the question is whether it should be there at all.. it doesn't SEEM to be road feedback, which is the problem -- it seems to be self-generated.
__________________
[2007 E93 335i 6AT | Crimson Red/Black Dakota | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | iPod/USB | JB+ | 15% Tint | AngeliBright LED Halos]

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
BMWark
Private
BMWark's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
68
Posts

 
Drives: 2005, X5,Black/Black
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
I understand there was a previous post about this issue, but I'm trying to get a feeling of how many owners have/reported this issue.

Simply put, the steering wheel vibrates when the speed gets up to 40 - 60 mph. The car does not vibrate, but the steering wheel does!

My dealer did a wheel balance and road forced wheel balance but the problem exists. So far they have no resolution for this matter.

Please share your experience.
I got the Variable Sport Steering on my order, I sure hope I don't have that problem.
__________________
Order: 13 Mar 2012, F30 328i Luxury, Silver, Black.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i just want to know how bad the vibrating is. i can feel mine barely, i think, or it just may be the feedback from the road. before this i had a car with warped rotors so when i braked the wheel shook a lot. it's definitely not that bad though.
Unfortunately, mine is bad and I could feel the wheel vibrating in my hands !!
45 mph seems to be the trigger speed. It is annoying and I'm not sure if this could affect stability at higher speeds!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

I wonder if there is some mechanical resonance in some part of the steering column at that speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
I wonder if there is some mechanical resonance in some part of the steering column at that speed.
This seems to be a logic explanation. But they need to fix it quick !

80% of my commute to work is at a speed limit 45, so it's constantly vibrating :/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
mfear
South Florida Elite
mfear's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mfear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Unfortunately, mine is bad and I could feel the wheel vibrating in my hands !!
45 mph seems to be the trigger speed. It is annoying and I'm not sure if this could affect stability at higher speeds!
ours is closer to 50 now.. and it's non existent below that or above 60
__________________
[2007 E93 335i 6AT | Crimson Red/Black Dakota | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | iPod/USB | JB+ | 15% Tint | AngeliBright LED Halos]

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #10
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Latest update:

The dealer called me and they contacted BMW. They are aware of the issue but have no resolution. They have no idea when this could be resolved. I am extremely disappointed !!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
England
90
Rep
2,572
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

iTrader: (0)

Wonder if the right hand drive market i.e. my market is affected...
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
jgrasty's Avatar
10
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My 328i doesn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
onehungevo
Captain
18
Rep
840
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008

iTrader: (0)

I read somewhere on here a member was experiencing the vibration and it disappeared w new rims and tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
glitched79
Private
3
Rep
57
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

I had this issue until I took my car back to the dealership yesterday. They had it for most of the day, then returned it to me after rebalancing all 4 tires. Now the problem is all but gone.

I do have a couple theories about this. It's so much drastically better now that the tires were rebalanced, I don't think anyone else would even notice it.

While I was watching a video about the new i8, I noticed that our new 328is actually seem to have at least one of the innovative design features that they highlighted about the i8. There's tiny little wind scoops next to the fog lights towards the outside of each side of the front bumper. They seem to direct air through the bumper and into the wheel well for each front tire. I think it's supposed to act like those blower things they have on some store's automatic doors - they blast air downwards when the doors open in order to keep the air conditioned air inside the store.

I think it's supposed to help deflect some of the air that would otherwise enter the front wheel wells from the side. This is supposed to help decrease drag on the tires.

I noticed that the steering vibration got worse when there was a lot of wind. Maybe those wheel vent things have something to do with it?

Now that my issue is pretty much gone, I think most of what I feel is feedback from the road. My last car, a 2008 MINI Cooper, had absolutely no road feedback, which I liked and had grown accustomed to. Not sure whether I'll end up liking road feedback now or not...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitched79 View Post
I had this issue until I took my car back to the dealership yesterday. They had it for most of the day, then returned it to me after rebalancing all 4 tires. Now the problem is all but gone.

I do have a couple theories about this. It's so much drastically better now that the tires were rebalanced, I don't think anyone else would even notice it.

While I was watching a video about the new i8, I noticed that our new 328is actually seem to have at least one of the innovative design features that they highlighted about the i8. There's tiny little wind scoops next to the fog lights towards the outside of each side of the front bumper. They seem to direct air through the bumper and into the wheel well for each front tire. I think it's supposed to act like those blower things they have on some store's automatic doors - they blast air downwards when the doors open in order to keep the air conditioned air inside the store.

I think it's supposed to help deflect some of the air that would otherwise enter the front wheel wells from the side. This is supposed to help decrease drag on the tires.

I noticed that the steering vibration got worse when there was a lot of wind. Maybe those wheel vent things have something to do with it?

Now that my issue is pretty much gone, I think most of what I feel is feedback from the road. My last car, a 2008 MINI Cooper, had absolutely no road feedback, which I liked and had grown accustomed to. Not sure whether I'll end up liking road feedback now or not...
i thought those were to cool the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
I understand there was a previous post about this issue, but I'm trying to get a feeling of how many owners have/reported this issue.

Simply put, the steering wheel vibrates when the speed gets up to 40 - 60 mph. The car does not vibrate, but the steering wheel does!

My dealer did a wheel balance and road forced wheel balance but the problem exists. So far they have no resolution for this matter.

Please share your experience.
I have the exact same issue as you describe. Sometimes it's very noticable, sometimes not so much. But when you have a 10 degree shake in your steering wheel, something ain't right!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
mfear
South Florida Elite
mfear's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mfear
mine was in the shop for 16 days for this :-\

BMWNA is trading it out, thankfully.
__________________
[2007 E93 335i 6AT | Crimson Red/Black Dakota | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | iPod/USB | JB+ | 15% Tint | AngeliBright LED Halos]

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
Alpine F31
Lieutenant Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I test drove two 328i's today at the BMW "Olympic" event. I felt the vibration in both cars. I told one of the staff about it after driving the first car. He blamed it on the lane departure warning system and showed me how to turn that off.

When I drove the second car I felt the vibration and turned off the system. I didn't feel the vibration again but I'm not convinced at all that turning off the LDS had anything to do with it.

Some people have mentioned unbalanced tires as a possible explanation but I seriously doubt it. The vibration I felt was almost like an electric buzz, and it came and went very quickly as if being turned on and off.

It may be a harmonic buzz coming from the engine or turbo and vibrating the steering rack or box. Obviously I'm not sure what is causing the vibration but out of balance tires have a different feeling ( I used to work in the wheel business).

Besides the weird buzzing in the wheel, I loved the car! I hope BMW gets this sorted out before I get my 2013 wagon!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #19
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
mine was in the shop for 16 days for this :-\

BMWNA is trading it out, thankfully.
Is this confirmed or you are still going back and forth with them?
What are you getting? did they put any conditions on the new replacement? (i.e. price range, options, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I test drove two 328i's today at the BMW "Olympic" event. I felt the vibration in both cars. I told one of the staff about it after driving the first car. He blamed it on the lane departure warning system and showed me how to turn that off.

When I drove the second car I felt the vibration and turned off the system. I didn't feel the vibration again but I'm not convinced at all that turning off the LDS had anything to do with it.

Some people have mentioned unbalanced tires as a possible explanation but I seriously doubt it. The vibration I felt was almost like an electric buzz, and it came and went very quickly as if being turned on and off.

It may be a harmonic buzz coming from the engine or turbo and vibrating the steering rack or box. Obviously I'm not sure what is causing the vibration but out of balance tires have a different feeling ( I used to work in the wheel business).

Besides the weird buzzing in the wheel, I loved the car! I hope BMW gets this sorted out before I get my 2013 wagon!
As far as I know. BMWNA are aware of the issue after being reported multiple times and they are trying to resolve it. However, they don't know when or how... yet !!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
Alpine F31
Lieutenant Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,833
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
It seems funny to me that we catch all these prototype vehicles in camouflage testing all over the World, yet the production cars are released with very noticeable problems like vibrations in the steering! WTF????
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
malc410326
Private First Class
10
Rep
155
Posts

 
Drives: '12 MB SLK 350 & '12 BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
mine was in the shop for 16 days for this :-\

BMWNA is trading it out, thankfully.
Are you going to get another F30 (328i or 335i) or the X5?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST