F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > xenon retrofit costly!
TAG Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #23
kjoseph270
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Maria, CA

Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
oh well. aftermarket it is.
+1!
kjoseph270 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
bcl0328
Major
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

Posts: 1,152
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran@ltbmw View Post
There isn't a thread. I will be doing a halogen to xenon conversion soon.
just wait for this guy to do it.
bcl0328 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #25
Ectopic
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Learnt the hard way after buying my wife an Audi Q5 without Xenons. After pricing up the new headlights, wire-harness, and recoding it just wasn't worth it. That didn't even include the washer system and self-leveling system required to make it legal in Aust!
Ectopic is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
cstavaru
Brigadier General
 
cstavaru's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bucharest, Romania

Posts: 3,235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
do you think they will have one for f30? one thing i regret not getting was xenons and it bothers me every day.
I am sure they will. There are countless people regretting not getting xenons, that's why BMW probably came up with the retrofit kit.
cstavaru is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I am sure they will.
Don't hold ur breath. BMW have been moving away from retrofits for the past few yrs, hence no official kits for E60/90 LCI & also no kits at all for any F-series cars.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #28
jeremy480
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran@ltbmw View Post
There isn't a thread. I will be doing a halogen to xenon conversion soon.
So are we still in the same boat with no xenon retrofit kit yet (from BMW or after market)?
jeremy480 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince300 View Post
I went to the dealer today and asked how can I get a xenon replacement through them, each headlight needs to be replaced for $1200 in addition to the adaptive headlight system fixation, when I asked for the light bulbs only to be changed to xenon they said that some of the parts needed to do that such as the ignitor is not even available and if so it would cost $1500 to be replaced, so guys just in case think twice before ordering the car that u absolutely don't need the xenon coz it's only $900 extra
+1
CanadianDriver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
bcl0328
Major
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

Posts: 1,152
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy480 View Post
So are we still in the same boat with no xenon retrofit kit yet (from BMW or after market)?
+1
bcl0328 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #31
SJ00
Major
 
SJ00's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gold Coast

Posts: 1,278
iTrader: (0)

just got my car, (imo) got a killer deal for a demo.. so couldnt be picky.
I asked the sales guy to give me a quote on xenons retrofit, and he quoted me $6000au...

the retrofit couldnt come faster
SJ00 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #32
undermine
New Member
 
undermine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Can it actually be retrofitted at all? I mean the whole oem adaptive system rather than just some aftermkt bulbs.
Just thought I would quote your text, for the many people reading and researching how to retrofit Adaptive Xenon for you E90 or just Xenon with a shutter lens I have the answers you are looking for, I have in the recent weeks completed my upgrade from Halogen to Adaptive Xenon.

If you have sourced all your parts, congratulations you have some work ahead of you, after completing this project I have to say it was fun making it work and sitting in the drives seat knowing that for about 1K, bidding for what I need online, and even the dealer helping me out because they couldn't believe one of their customers is trying to do this them self, armed with the power of Google it was hard to accomplish.

Anyways, I have left over parts for sale stuff to get you started.

FRM3 LED basis, I have yet to confirm if I can make the shutter work with out having to tap wires, like some others have, I actually want to keep this and see if I can help people out. I went and bought a Max Brose FRM3 HW Ver 12.

The above listed FRM3 supports (LED), Xenon, and I have not confirmed addaptive or shutter. It is for sale and I will most likely use it to test unless it is sold, make an offer.

I have a pair of Adaptive Xenon (Left and Right) Head Lamps, prior cracks on tabs, repaired, no leaks, lens have some scratches, you can totally buff them out as I have, I own 2 sets and still have my original Halogen lights also for sale, make an offer.

As for the electronics, sorry but I don't have them however, I do have the information.

Ignitor, attached to blub, plug and play.

Ballast, plug and play.

LED Blinker, plug and play.

SMC (required for controlling adaptive and or automatic leveling) Some interesting info, I bought one new online and one used, not a problem coding my vin to the used one.

Again I practically got my whole setup for less than 1k and my time which I took to get it done right.

One last thing, the Conversion Harness, if you're like me and you can do anything you want to do or worth doing you can make this harness and save yourself dealer cost, or, I can give back to the community by doing some slave labor and making you this conversion harness, you can source all your parts on ETK.cc, and price check on BMWPartsupply.com which is what I did, I bought all my pins for it to be plug and play, there is some moving around of pins, before you start installing anything set it up to test, gather your parts and pull your wire first.

My back seat doesn't go down, you need to remove it to get the rear level sensor installed, there is a front one and rear one. Old E46 Level sensors work, but I bought new ones because I wanted new on my E90, I will upgrade my entire car at some point as in 5 series, I need more room.

Feel free to PM me or reply here, I will help with what I can.
undermine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #33
f30nynj
~~Bimmer Thriller~~
 
f30nynj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 245
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermine View Post
Just thought I would quote your text, for the many people reading and researching how to retrofit Adaptive Xenon for you E90 or just Xenon with a shutter lens I have the answers you are looking for, I have in the recent weeks completed my upgrade from Halogen to Adaptive Xenon.

If you have sourced all your parts, congratulations you have some work ahead of you, after completing this project I have to say it was fun making it work and sitting in the drives seat knowing that for about 1K, bidding for what I need online, and even the dealer helping me out because they couldn't believe one of their customers is trying to do this them self, armed with the power of Google it was hard to accomplish.

Anyways, I have left over parts for sale stuff to get you started.

FRM3 LED basis, I have yet to confirm if I can make the shutter work with out having to tap wires, like some others have, I actually want to keep this and see if I can help people out. I went and bought a Max Brose FRM3 HW Ver 12.

The above listed FRM3 supports (LED), Xenon, and I have not confirmed addaptive or shutter. It is for sale and I will most likely use it to test unless it is sold, make an offer.

I have a pair of Adaptive Xenon (Left and Right) Head Lamps, prior cracks on tabs, repaired, no leaks, lens have some scratches, you can totally buff them out as I have, I own 2 sets and still have my original Halogen lights also for sale, make an offer.

As for the electronics, sorry but I don't have them however, I do have the information.

Ignitor, attached to blub, plug and play.

Ballast, plug and play.

LED Blinker, plug and play.

SMC (required for controlling adaptive and or automatic leveling) Some interesting info, I bought one new online and one used, not a problem coding my vin to the used one.

Again I practically got my whole setup for less than 1k and my time which I took to get it done right.

One last thing, the Conversion Harness, if you're like me and you can do anything you want to do or worth doing you can make this harness and save yourself dealer cost, or, I can give back to the community by doing some slave labor and making you this conversion harness, you can source all your parts on ETK.cc, and price check on BMWPartsupply.com which is what I did, I bought all my pins for it to be plug and play, there is some moving around of pins, before you start installing anything set it up to test, gather your parts and pull your wire first.

My back seat doesn't go down, you need to remove it to get the rear level sensor installed, there is a front one and rear one. Old E46 Level sensors work, but I bought new ones because I wanted new on my E90, I will upgrade my entire car at some point as in 5 series, I need more room.

Feel free to PM me or reply here, I will help with what I can.
Awesome dude! Now can you write up a DIY instructions for people who take similar route with pics etc?

Or I can work with you and get mine replaced and do the write-up as well. I am from North jersey.
__________________
F30 - 328i Imperial Blue/Beige Leather | Cosmetic mods
E90 - SOLD
f30nynj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
undermine
New Member
 
undermine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

Yeah,

I think the write up is pretty straight forward, in fact BMW made a Retrofit PDF which I pretty much followed and it worked (I believe they stopped doing this with the new (F-Body) because of the DIY info being a loss of revenue, the grey area was the coding which I had zero experience with but I am a tech and now I feel like a master with this now.

On a side note I bought used modules except for my FRM and coded everything accordingly, certain modules you can write the VIN x number of times before you cannot write anymore from what I understand, I have even learned a little German from all this experience and enjoy it all.

Just coded mirrors, and windows to close with FOB, love it, next I want to figure out how to enable the rain sensor to close everything if it starts to rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nynj View Post
Awesome dude! Now can you write up a DIY instructions for people who take similar route with pics etc?

Or I can work with you and get mine replaced and do the write-up as well. I am from North jersey.
undermine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #35
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermine View Post
next I want to figure out how to enable the rain sensor to close everything if it starts to rain.
Can this actually be done?
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #36
undermine
New Member
 
undermine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

I cannot imagine this to not be an option. If it's possible on my end I will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Can this actually be done?
undermine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #37
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermine View Post
I cannot imagine this to not be an option. If it's possible on my end I will let you know.
I cannot imagine that everytime the headlights come on automatically once could not code to make auto high beam also automatically come on without pressing the button manually, but I am told this is not possible either.
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #38
undermine
New Member
 
undermine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

The headlights could be brighter, and I remember hearing something about a sensor that detects on coming light and shuts the high beams off and turns them back on after the source of light passes.

Two good references.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847496



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
I cannot imagine that everytime the headlights come on automatically once could not code to make auto high beam also automatically come on without pressing the button manually, but I am told this is not possible either.
undermine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #39
Kabrich
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 518
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermine View Post
I remember hearing something about a sensor that detects on coming light and shuts the high beams off and turns them back on after the source of light passes.
Yes, but you have to manually turn the system on the system every time the headlights come on.

I was stating that I would think there is a code to be able to bring that on as default and not to have to manually activate it every time, which apparently there is not.
__________________
Kabrich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #40
undermine
New Member
 
undermine's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NJ

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

There is a way, there is always a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Yes, but you have to manually turn the system on the system every time the headlights come on.

I was stating that I would think there is a code to be able to bring that on as default and not to have to manually activate it every time, which apparently there is not.
undermine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #41
Kafkaesque320
Lieutenant
 
Kafkaesque320's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 320i 8spd ZSP, Stage 1
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: El A

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

Pulling up an old thread. I would be really interested in doing this to my 320 as the halogens suck balls.
__________________
2014 Black 320i | BMS Stage 1| Sport Package | Sport AT | Misc. Coding | Moonroof
Kafkaesque320 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2014, 10:50 AM   #42
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 325
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Pulling up an old thread. I would be really interested in doing this to my 320 as the halogens suck balls.
Search. ...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808444&page=6
kapkanimd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #43
Kafkaesque320
Lieutenant
 
Kafkaesque320's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 320i 8spd ZSP, Stage 1
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: El A

Posts: 515
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
There is no way I am going to do that myself, do the coding etc. Nice that you figured it out though.
__________________
2014 Black 320i | BMS Stage 1| Sport Package | Sport AT | Misc. Coding | Moonroof
Kafkaesque320 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #44
kapkanimd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 325
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
There is no way I am going to do that myself, do the coding etc. Nice that you figured it out though.
the coding is by far the easiest part, other than that you are moving around a few wires..
kapkanimd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST