F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M-Sport Brakes, Yay or Nay?
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: M-Sport Brakes, Yes or No
Yes 36 46.15%
No 42 53.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #45
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk


A street driver is not going to be held back by the stock brakes. Yes, at the track, they are going to fade - but you are not going to be making a multiple back to back threshold stops from 80mph on the street. If you are, there are much more important considerations to take into account - such as venue.

I appreciate that many of you think you bought a sports car and your skills are such Sebastian Vettel would fear you if only you had access to better equipment. My years of instructing at the track tells me otherwise. Rare is the street driver that is even beginning to use the performance of his car, especially braking and cornering.
As arrogant as he is...he is correct.

If you bought an f30 as a performance car, you've bought the wrong car. Now if you've bought it as a family sedan which is fun as hell to drive...well done.

The brake upgrade won't do nearly as much good as trashing the oem tire for a better alternative. However it looks killer...and let's all be honest...we all know why some of us are getting the brake upgrade. They look badass. Will I ever use them to their potential? I hope not. But will I enjoy looking at them daily. Damn right I will.
__________________
The best 2013 M sport is owned by me.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #46
_BMWnEwBiE_
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
As arrogant as he is...he is correct.

If you bought an f30 as a performance car, you've bought the wrong car. Now if you've bought it as a family sedan which is fun as hell to drive...well done.

The brake upgrade won't do nearly as much good as trashing the oem tire for a better alternative. However it looks killer...and let's all be honest...we all know why some of us are getting the brake upgrade. They look badass. Will I ever use them to their potential? I hope not. But will I enjoy looking at them daily. Damn right I will.
I wonder how the red calipers will look with these wheels
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...1B%20Monoblock

And no way i am just buying for the looks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #47
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
3

 
Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA


Posts: 390
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BMWnEwBiE_ View Post
I wonder how the red calipers will look with these wheels
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...1B%20Monoblock

And no way i am just buying for the looks
You definitely wouldn't be buying those wheels for the looks...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #48
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Don't forget that the US 328i gets smaller rotors than ROW cars.
I know, 330mm vs 312mm. My local market is to ROW-spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #49
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BMWnEwBiE_ View Post
I wonder how the red calipers will look with these wheels
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tirebuyerwi...1B%20Monoblock

And no way i am just buying for the looks

You're leaving yourself WIDE OPEN....I'm just going to walk away.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #50
Elk
Major
12

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *


Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
As arrogant as he is...he is correct.
Too many weekends at the track as well as instructing will do this to you. I admit little tolerance for poseurs.

Quote:
Will I ever use them to their potential? I hope not.
I hope you do. Get some good cooling to the brakes, ditch the cute drilled and slotted rotors, get some proper race pads, get some heat into the pads and rotors, and find out what they can do.

Why limit yourself to automobile porn by merely looking at them?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #51
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
ditch the cute drilled and slotted rotors
It looks like the M-sport brake if ordered from factory on a M-packet equipped car doesn't have drilled discs.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #52
bmrm396
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA


Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It looks like the M-sport brake if ordered from factory on a M-packet equipped car doesn't have drilled discs.
right but it makes it MUCH cheaper when u upgrade to the M Performance brakes
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #53
RPM90
Major General
103

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago


Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Should do, the calipers are different.
Sorry, should have been clearer.
Are the pads of a different material that is designed to offer quicker bite?
IOW, is pad composition that much different?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #54
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
right but it makes it MUCH cheaper when u upgrade to the M Performance brakes
It's much cheaper if u spec it as factory option rather than from the BMW M Performance catalogue.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #55
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Sorry, should have been clearer.
Are the pads of a different material that is designed to offer quicker bite?
IOW, is pad composition that much different?
I don't think so, oem pads have to work under a wide range of operating conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #56
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Too many weekends at the track as well as instructing will do this to you. I admit little tolerance for poseurs.


I hope you do. Get some good cooling to the brakes, ditch the cute drilled and slotted rotors, get some proper race pads, get some heat into the pads and rotors, and find out what they can do.

Why limit yourself to automobile porn by merely looking at them?
I have another car that is much better suited to a track than a family sedan...Also, I am limited to Autox, due to geography. There are no tracks within 300 miles of me. In AUtox, the stock 335i brakes would be fine....doesn't mean I don't want the better option.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #57
bmrm396
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA


Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It's much cheaper if u spec it as factory option rather than from the BMW M Performance catalogue.
right, thats what i said. sorry if i wasnt clear. factory m sport brakes make life cheaper if u eventually want to upgrade to m performance brakes (of course if u order m performance off the bat, u save the install costs is what ur sayin)
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #58
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
factory m sport brakes make life cheaper if u eventually want to upgrade to m performance brakes (of course if u order m performance off the bat, u save the install costs is what ur sayin)
AFAIK M-sport brakes=M-performance brakes less the drilled & slotted discs, & u can't order M-performance brakes as a factory option as it's only available as a retrofit kit.
So if u've ordered M-sport brakes there's no need to retrofit the M-performance brakes as they're the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #59
sleedawg
Private
2

 
Drives: 2012 328i & 2011 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Millbrae, CA


Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Sorry, should have been clearer.
Are the pads of a different material that is designed to offer quicker bite?
IOW, is pad composition that much different?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I don't think so, oem pads have to work under a wide range of operating conditions.

The US market OEM pads are different from other markets. The US pad is not as aggressive as the other markets but make less noise and leave a lot less brake dust. US consumers don't like noisy brakes or dusty wheels, thus the difference in compounds. Most US consumers equate noisy brakes with time to service the brakes. This was a marketing decision done a long time ago.

Side note: The valet at work and co-workers think I need new brakes because they hear the squeal from low temp slow braking in the office garage.

Now for the performance brake kit, my guess is that OEM there will be one pad choice as consumers of big brake kits will know that there will be more dust and noise coming from the brakes and there is usually a note on the installation instructions that nobody reads.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #60
bmrm396
Major
United_States
15

 
Drives: '14 F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: sD, CA


Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
AFAIK M-sport brakes=M-performance brakes less the drilled & slotted discs, & u can't order M-performance brakes as a factory option as it's only available as a retrofit kit.
So if u've ordered M-sport brakes there's no need to retrofit the M-performance brakes as they're the same.
the m performance brake discs are actually considerable larger as well. m sport brakes do not equal m performance brakes.

not sure about ordering options but ur right as far as the calipers being the same ya
__________________
Formerly addicted to e46fanatics
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #61
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
the m performance brake discs are actually considerable larger as well. m sport brakes do not equal m performance brakes.
For EU/ROW-spec cars the factory M-sport brakes have same size discs all round (370x30 & 345x25) as the M-performance brakes, only difference is the lack of slots & holes.
For US-spec they're smaller for the 328i.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #62
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleedawg View Post
The US market OEM pads are different from other markets. The US pad is not as aggressive as the other markets but make less noise and leave a lot less brake dust.
That explains why US publications are not enthusiastic abt the standard brakes on the 328i, whereas in Europe there were no complaints at all even on entry level cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #63
sleedawg
Private
2

 
Drives: 2012 328i & 2011 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Millbrae, CA


Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
That explains why US publications are not enthusiastic abt the standard brakes on the 328i, whereas in Europe there were no complaints at all even on entry level cars.
More aggressive pads AND (as you know) larger rotors. No matter what some people say... larger rotors will make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #64
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
154

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa


Posts: 8,077
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
For EU/ROW-spec cars the factory M-sport brakes have same size discs all round (370x30 & 345x25) as the M-performance brakes, only difference is the lack of slots & holes.
For US-spec they're smaller for the 328i.
No

On Front
Euro 335i standard is 340x30
M Sport brakes for 335i is 370x30

Rear
Euro 335i standard is 330x20
M Sport brakes for 335i is 345x24
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #65
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
3

 
Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA


Posts: 390
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No

On Front
Euro 335i standard is 340x30
M Sport brakes for 335i is 370x30

Rear
Euro 335i standard is 330x20
M Sport brakes for 335i is 345x24
Great info! What about 328's?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #66
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
22

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong


Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
No
I don't understand? Wht I said is confirmed by ur info.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST