F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Automatic wipers
European Auto Source

05-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Bmwphile
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 F30 328i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4budak View Post
I thought enabling that feature once and leaving it on all time was very convenient in our Q7 until my girl friend took it to car wash and destroyed both wipers and put a huge scratch on the windshield.
Initially I was in agreement with Raspartan regarding the auto wipers, in that she should not need to be turned on at startup as we also have an Audi Q5 which defaults it on at startup. We found this to be very convenient, BUT reading the above the BMW way makes more sense
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #24
Raspartan
Captain

Drives: F30 335i

I accept that it behaves this way for safety reasons, but I also evidently had the wrong idea of the intended functionality.
Raspartan is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
AntBabeee
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I hope there is a way to code this to remain auto on as the default. I rather have the option to turn off auto when needed than to turn auto on daily its like manual wipers with auto variable speed setting.

I remember when I was in high school my dad had a camry with auto wipers and those were on all the time with the option of disabling at the stalk if needed.
Did you ever manage to find out if it's possible to code it.
      12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #26
bthuss
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport

do the wipers have a manual "intermittent" setting in addition to the rain-sensing setting? for instance, are the wipers only OFF/RAIN/FULL ON/FULL ON FAST? .... or is there /OFF/INTERMITTENT/RAIN/FULL ON/FULL ON FAST?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
MaestroAl
Major

Drives: Superman 330D M Sport

This is the only feature that's so far annoyed me about the F30. Manually activated automatic wipers? That's bollocks. I don't care what crappy excuses you want to justify it but manually activated automatic anything isn't automatic and is, therefore, retarded. Icy? The car has a thermometer - disable it in software. Carwash? Well if you go through carwashes with your engine running then you're a numskull. My last dozen cars have had auto wipers and I've never had them activate automatically in either ice or a carwash. Besides, who takes cars through carwashes anyway? Don't you people care about paint?

Any which was you skin it, it's a stupid, stupid feature and unique in any cars I've driven ergo ... BMW has got it wrong.

/rant over
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
bthuss
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2013 335xi M-Sport

for reference, i have auto wipers on my FX50S and they are dedicated and always on with the intermittent wiper settings. on the slowest intermittent wiper setting, they wipe WAY too much! and thats on the slowest intermittent setting. the auto wipers are supposed to AUTO rain wipe more or mess depending on the intermittent setting. you cannot turn it off and the slowest setting is too much. it goes into that frenzy of high speed wiping with the slightest mist. i actually wish it had an old fashioned intermittent setting like the old days...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Apply a product called "Liquid Glass" to the windshield/screen, a couple of coats will last longer. It takes a very small amount AFTER you've cleaned the screen nicely. Goes on easy and removes easy. It's a car polish/paint protector, which is it's main use. I've used it for years and it makes an excellent polish coat after washing and claying, then Liquid Glass, and for the wet look then wax.

Years ago I tried it on my windshield and it worked wonderfully, better than RainX and lasts longer too.
No need for wipers at all once above 40mph, for best effect. Rains just rolls off the sceen.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #30
Raspartan
Captain

After having had the car for 8 months now, I think I would still rather the wipers were automatic all the time. I could stand to turn it off for the few cases where running them would be hazardous.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #31
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
Did you ever manage to find out if it's possible to code it.
Never got around to looking into it but im still interested kinda annoying to have to turn it on when it starts to rain. takes the auto out of auto wipers!
      12-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #32
AntBabeee
Lieutenant

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Never got around to looking into it but im still interested kinda annoying to have to turn it on when it starts to rain. takes the auto out of auto wipers!
I feel the exact same why. Told my mom she had to press the button if it rains when she drives. She like I thats that auto thats manual.
      12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #33
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
She like I thats that auto thats manual.
My brain is spinning after reading that!!! Cheers for some fun reading.
Now, if you could please translate…...
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #34
Ron Scott
Captain

Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Cannot stand auto wipers, mainly because they don't do it like I do, and I will never activate.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
AntBabeee
Lieutenant

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport
Quote:
She like I thats that auto thats manual.
My brain is spinning after reading that!!! Cheers for some fun reading.
Now, if you could please translate…...
Haha. I was half a sleep writing that. Lol. Bimmerposting at its finest! Haha. 24/7
      03-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #36
mlorenzo
mlorenzo

Drives: BMW F30 320D

Send a message via Skype™ to mlorenzo
hey guys!
What is this!?

can someone just simply explain if there is an option to have it always on (after restart) or no? yes/no?
if yes, how?

rather to defend BMW why it have put it this way.
BTW. I found car wash, ice, etc. quite stupid explanation. there is 100 time more possibility for rain than going to car wash (that you do with own purpose) or icy weather.
Until now I have drive Mazda 6 for 5 years that had always on and I found it perfect. I am not rocket scientists, but found myself clever enough to switch it off when I drive through car wash.
Two weeks ago I got my F30, it is quite rainy this days and i found it annoying switching it on every time.

Second issue. As it rainy I really miss my rear windows wiper from my Mazda 6.
With rain I almost do not recognize anything behind. Specially in the night with back car lights you do not see anything! Anyone have some advice?
I doubt there is something I can do, I will just need to use to live with it.
Beside functions always on, rear window in rain and limited space for putting small daily staff, pockets, etc. the car is absolutely amazing!

Bottom line is there option/setting/code allays on or not!?
If not, I will learn to live with it.

Have a fun!
mlorenzo is offline   Croatia
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #37
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
The real reason that you have to turn it on when it rains...BMW didn't want the folks in sunny Southern California to have to shut if off 362 days a year.

I agree with many of the posters above for the reasons why it is off. Just my 2 Chainz...err two cents.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #38
dreamspeed
Major

Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan
I accept that it behaves this way for safety reasons, but I also evidently had the wrong idea of the intended functionality.
My thoughts exactly, I was quite confused when it didn't stay auto on.

Its still a cool feature though. It barely rains in LA but when it does its often rain that constantly varies in intensity so this feature is perfect
      03-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Ever since having it on my E39 530i, I really liked it. When my E46 2002 325i was a DD for awhile I really missed it (BMW didn't put it on the 325i until '03).

I like the idea of activating it as I want to have the windshield fairly covered with water before starting the blades.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #40
Raspartan
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlorenzo View Post
hey guys!
What is this!?

can someone just simply explain if there is an option to have it always on (after restart) or no? yes/no?
if yes, how?

rather to defend BMW why it have put it this way.
BTW. I found car wash, ice, etc. quite stupid explanation. there is 100 time more possibility for rain than going to car wash (that you do with own purpose) or icy weather.
Until now I have drive Mazda 6 for 5 years that had always on and I found it perfect. I am not rocket scientists, but found myself clever enough to switch it off when I drive through car wash.
Two weeks ago I got my F30, it is quite rainy this days and i found it annoying switching it on every time.

Second issue. As it rainy I really miss my rear windows wiper from my Mazda 6.
With rain I almost do not recognize anything behind. Specially in the night with back car lights you do not see anything! Anyone have some advice?
I doubt there is something I can do, I will just need to use to live with it.
Beside functions always on, rear window in rain and limited space for putting small daily staff, pockets, etc. the car is absolutely amazing!

Bottom line is there option/setting/code allays on or not!?
If not, I will learn to live with it.

Have a fun!
I know that I said previously that I accept the explanations, but I would still prefer that it be on automatically. Or even if it was an iDrive setting that I could change, but unfortunately there is none. I don't believe a coding setting has been found for this either.

As for the rear window, the only advice I can provide is to use something like Rain-X or another type of water repellent coating. Unfortunately these do not last very long in my experience. I too came from a car with a rear window wiper and I miss having one.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #41
mlorenzo
mlorenzo

Drives: BMW F30 320D

Send a message via Skype™ to mlorenzo
Thanks guys!
One more question: I have read a manual, it says that passenger mirror should be tilt down in reverse. The switch for adjusting the mirror must be in left position (for adjusting driver mirror).
My doesn't work wherever side it is and I found it very useful feature.
So, I wonder if this possibility come as standard or not!? I have read that is standard, but maybe is standard only in US. I am in Europe.
Maybe it come only with electrical folding mirrors.

Have a fun
mlorenzo is offline   Croatia
Appreciate 0