F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #45
The X Men
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (0)

Its seems like the new 5 series have the same vibration problem.
The X Men is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #46
martyl
Private
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: st. louis

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

I want this car but will not buy it until BMW fixes this problem. Having bought a 2006 E90 which I love, I will never buy another BMW in the first year of production. I simply cannot understand why BMW has so many of these quality control issues. It's a good thing they have the warranty they do. Too bad, they're great cars to drive.
__________________
wldcup

Last edited by martyl; 05-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.
martyl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
Madlil
Registered
 
Drives: F30 320d Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wetherby UK

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

I have a UK March registered 320D Sport with 18" alloys and have the dreaded steering wheel vibration. Mine is a lease car, and has been back to the dealer who could detect no fault. I have spoken to the lease company today who are going to pick this up for me with BMW.

I would be interested to hear if any other UK owners are experiencing this - not what you expect on a 30k car.......
Madlil is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #48
jpa74
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i sports line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agumont View Post
Thank you very much for the feedback. RPM90 described the issue accurately. My car has Contis but the condition does not improve when the tires heat up. I will keep monitoring the posts for updates.
My 328i Sport line also has the Conti SportContact SSR run flats. I wonder if the steering wheel vibration is tire specific to Contis?
jpa74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #49
J Tiberius
Captain
 
J Tiberius's Avatar
 
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seoul

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
My 328i Sport line also has the Conti SportContact SSR run flats. I wonder if the steering wheel vibration is tire specific to Contis?
It doesn't seem to be tire related, at least in mine. I had a slight vibration in comfort mode when I ran the OEM runflats and I'm getting a (more slight) vibration with my non-runflats as well. I have to stress that it is extremely minor vibration and only noticeable if you take your hands off the wheel, which really isn't something you should do at cruising speed anyway (roughly 40-55 mph in my case).
__________________
2012 F30 328i, Imperial Blue, Sport Line, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, Sport Auto, Heated Seats, Xenons, H&R Sport Springs, Michelin Pilot Super Sports
J Tiberius is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #50
Pele96
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

Does this just happen with the 328i? Or does it also happen with 335i staggered set up?
Pele96 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #51
RxCritical
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Mine is NOT tire related. All of the original conti's were replaced with Pirelli's with no effect.
I can definitely feel my wheel shaking especially around 50 mph. It is not minor now, but it does seem to have gotten more noticeable lately. I have almost 4000 miles so far.

My dealer is going to do a "BMW Assisted" trade for me to get into something else. You definitely have to give them kudos for taking care of the customer.
But I am not exactly sure how the "Assisted" trade will work
They also made sure to point out that I shouldn't get another 3 series as it is likely to have the same issue.
Apparently mother BMW told my dealer they were aware of the issue but the fix was "long term".
YMMV
RxCritical is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #52
jpa74
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i sports line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tiberius View Post
It doesn't seem to be tire related, at least in mine. I had a slight vibration in comfort mode when I ran the OEM runflats and I'm getting a (more slight) vibration with my non-runflats as well. I have to stress that it is extremely minor vibration and only noticeable if you take your hands off the wheel, which really isn't something you should do at cruising speed anyway (roughly 40-55 mph in my case).
Okay, good info. So I shouldn't let my dealer do anything then in trying to fix the problem? I assume if BMW is aware and a solution is not in place, the bozos at my service center won't figure it out.

Should I even bother taking the time to bring it in to the dealer?
jpa74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
RxCritical
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
Okay, good info. So I shouldn't let my dealer do anything then in trying to fix the problem? I assume if BMW is aware and a solution is not in place, the bozos at my service center won't figure it out.

Should I even bother taking the time to bring it in to the dealer?
You might want to, just to start a service history of it. And there are lots of people that state they do NOT have this problem so for you a wheel balance just MIGHT fix it. Good Luck.
RxCritical is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #54
J Tiberius
Captain
 
J Tiberius's Avatar
 
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seoul

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxCritical View Post
You might want to, just to start a service history of it. And there are lots of people that state they do NOT have this problem so for you a wheel balance just MIGHT fix it. Good Luck.
+1

I haven't gone in yet because I don't want to fight the traffic, but there is a good case for getting your complaint into the system so BMW corporate can get a better fix on the size of the problem and/or build months affected.

I suspect that they will blame my sport springs and aftermarket tires for the problem regardless of existing complaints in the system (stingy dealerships!).
__________________
2012 F30 328i, Imperial Blue, Sport Line, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, Sport Auto, Heated Seats, Xenons, H&R Sport Springs, Michelin Pilot Super Sports
J Tiberius is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #55
J Tiberius
Captain
 
J Tiberius's Avatar
 
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seoul

Posts: 192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele96 View Post
Does this just happen with the 328i? Or does it also happen with 335i staggered set up?
Both. Wider tires in the rear have no effect from the evidence I've seen. Also not all 335s have the staggered set up, just those with the sport line who opted for the 19s at additional cost.
__________________
2012 F30 328i, Imperial Blue, Sport Line, ZPP, ZPS, ZTP, Sport Auto, Heated Seats, Xenons, H&R Sport Springs, Michelin Pilot Super Sports
J Tiberius is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #56
Pele96
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 563
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Tiberius View Post
Both. Wider tires in the rear have no effect from the evidence I've seen. Also not all 335s have the staggered set up, just those with the sport line who opted for the 19s at additional cost.
Thanks for the feedback since I am looking to order a 335i M-Sport in the next 4-5 months once my current lease is up.
Pele96 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #57
wai2sexy
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2012 335
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: va

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pele96 View Post
Does this just happen with the 328i? Or does it also happen with 335i staggered set up?
based on the posts i've been seeing, it seem like the 328 population is the one being effected by this vibrating steering wheel problem. there aren't many 335 owners with this problem.

i put about 1.1k miles on my 335 during my ED and never saw the wheel shake whenever i took my hands off the wheel.
wai2sexy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #58
mocohead
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

Is it doing this on all different types of pavement?

How many of you with this concern have the variable sport steering?
mocohead is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #59
jpa74
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i sports line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
Is it doing this on all different types of pavement?

How many of you with this concern have the variable sport steering?
My wheel vibrations from 45 - 60 mph on all types of pavement. Some types make it more obvious.

I do not have variable sport steering. I doubt that having it or not would make any difference. From what I understand, VST only changes the turning gear ratios to allow less steering wheel turn at low speeds.
jpa74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #60
Bmwphile
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

I have had my 328i for 1week, and no vibration so far. Mine is a RHD as I'm from downunder.

Are there any RHD cars affected?
__________________
BMWphile
2012 F30 328i Mineral Grey, Auto, Sportline, Sunroof, BiXenon, Headlight washers
Bmwphile is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #61
NAV8TT
Major
 
NAV8TT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The greatest country in the world

Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl
I want this car but will not buy it until BMW fixes this problem. Having bought a 2006 E90 which I love, I will never buy another BMW in the first year of production. I simply cannot understand why BMW has so many of these quality control issues. It's a good thing they have the warranty they do. Too bad, they're great cars to drive.
+1
I think if I knew about it all I'd ve waited for the 2013. It's a bit difficult to understand why would they release a 2012 product w these issues to go and release a 2013 product 5 months later w presumably fixed issues + all the convenience w the new option/package ordering menus. I know some of you went back to the dealer to try to get this issue fixed but I am extremely disappointed that a car like this would have a vibrating steering wheel. It's ridiculous.
__________________
NAV8TT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #62
LAnderson23
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 328i MG Sportline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio

Posts: 501
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince300 View Post
+1
I think if I knew about it all I'd ve waited for the 2013. It's a bit difficult to understand why would they release a 2012 product w these issues to go and release a 2013 product 5 months later w presumably fixed issues + all the convenience w the new option/package ordering menus. I know some of you went back to the dealer to try to get this issue fixed but I am extremely disappointed that a car like this would have a vibrating steering wheel. It's ridiculous.
Yes, annoying, but from the sound of things they will have a fix, given some time. They obviously know there is an issue and are working on a fix for it it's not a make-or-break issue for me to wait a few months while they work on it.
LAnderson23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #63
RedlineSi
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

I'll prob bring mine in next week just so there is a record of it. It's annoying due to the fact it shouldn't happen in this level of a vehicle, but honestly, when my hands are on the wheels you can't feel it happening. It's only visual or if you have one hand and very light pressure on the wheel. Funny how it's all 40-60mph for everyone one of us.
RedlineSi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #64
jpa74
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i sports line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

The bozos at my service center have a fix:

They told me to grip the steering wheel harder.

What monkeys...
jpa74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #65
ede92
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Tell them thanks for the j/o tip
__________________
2014 911 C2 Cab, Considering adding 2er convertible
Past - 2011 328i Convertible 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe (ED), 2003 BMW 530i, 1999 BMW 528i
ede92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #66
Number
 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

Posts: 1,159
iTrader: (1)

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I've had the 335 with the 19" staggered set up for 3 weeks now (1300 miles). Two weeks stock, one week lowered. I have no vibration but I'm still going to stay subscribed to this thread. Hope it works out for you guys.
Number is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST