F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 F30 Steering wheel vibration
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #89
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

I have a mid April German built 328i Luxury, no sports options, no variable steering, and no wheel vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #90
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Frogman, mine was the same. So weird that I have the problem and you do not. I wonder if there is some common thread to it that we have not discovered. Either way I'm hoping BMW finds a way to fix it very soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #91
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
Frogman, mine was the same. So weird that I have the problem and you do not. I wonder if there is some common thread to it that we have not discovered. Either way I'm hoping BMW finds a way to fix it very soon.
What kind of tires do you have?

I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flats on 18" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #92
live4wknds
Private First Class
1
Rep
151
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately, my BASE 328 is only 2 days with me and I've noticed similar symptoms. I'll be monitoring this closely as I can't quite rule out that I'm feeling/seeing road feedback. Damn......
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #93
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Alright, ladies and gentlemen:

Latest update from BMWNA as of today : NOTHING!

The same answer I get every time: There's a team of engineers working on that problem !!

Let me say this: If you have a team of BMW engineers working on a problem like this for over 2 months and can't figure it out, you need a better team !!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #94
RxCritical
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 535xi
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lenoir City, TN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Alright, ladies and gentlemen:

Latest update from BMWNA as of today : NOTHING!

The same answer I get every time: There's a team of engineers working on that problem !!

Let me say this: If you have a team of BMW engineers working on a problem like this for over 2 months and can't figure it out, you need a better team !!
Amen Brother.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #95
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Alright, ladies and gentlemen:

Latest update from BMWNA as of today : NOTHING!

The same answer I get every time: There's a team of engineers working on that problem !!

Let me say this: If you have a team of BMW engineers working on a problem like this for over 2 months and can't figure it out, you need a better team !!
Man, I feel for you. Has BMWNA given you any real (informational) updates?

It doesn't sound like it's an intermittent thing. You would think that they should be able to replicate the behavior on a dyno and see what's happening. That has got to be more than half the battle in fixing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #96
The X Men
Colonel
27
Rep
2,008
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Let me say this: If you have a team of BMW engineers working on a problem like this for over 2 months and can't figure it out, you need a better team !!
BMW have been trying to figure out the steering vibration on the 5 series for two years and they still havent figure it out. They have made some improvments but the problem is still there for some brand new 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #97
mfear
South Florida Elite
mfear's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
257
Posts

 
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mfear
still dealing with this? jesus.
__________________
[2007 E93 335i 6AT | Crimson Red/Black Dakota | Premium | Sport | Heated Seats | iPod/USB | JB+ | 15% Tint | AngeliBright LED Halos]

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #98
shoptb
Captain
shoptb's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH

iTrader: (0)

Maybe you've got a Lane Departure Warning that is speed-activated. hahahah. Seriously, what a pain though. I hope this gets fixed for you soon.
__________________
Current --> '13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH
Past ------> '08 E92 335xi, 6MT, DGM w SDL, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #99
Sphinx-3
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F10
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Any City, Any State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
still dealing with this? jesus.
Unfortunately yes !! and I am really losing my patience here...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #100
Anenome
Enlisted Member
Anenome's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ - East Valley

iTrader: (0)

I bought my car (base model) at the dealer and made sure to test this during the test drive. I've put about 1200 miles on my car so far and don't have any vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #101
HairTooLongToo
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 sportline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Posting here for the record that I am experiencing the issue. Config of car is under my user name. Delivered late May, so whatever build date that happens to be. It happens most noticeably between 65 - 80 kph. If I take my hands off the wheel, you can see it move back and forth. Will take video of it and report to dealer when time permits.

Was hoping for a HQ solution by now too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #102
benpatti
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineSi View Post
I'll prob bring mine in next week just so there is a record of it. It's annoying due to the fact it shouldn't happen in this level of a vehicle, but honestly, when my hands are on the wheels you can't feel it happening. It's only visual or if you have one hand and very light pressure on the wheel. Funny how it's all 40-60mph for everyone one of us.
I've noticed this as well, but for me its from 5-30 mph...once the car starts to move faster, it goes away. It's very slight...seems to be coming from the engine...Figured it was because of the 4 cylinder
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #103
BimMyWay
New Member
1
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I bought my car (base model) at the dealer and made sure to test this during the test drive. I've put about 1200 miles on my car so far and don't have any vibration.
This makes me more confused. My car is also base model (built in middle of April), but vibrating alot...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #104
Scudder
Enlisted Member
United_States
4
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I got the standard tires that come with the luxury line - sorry not sure which ones those are.

One things I've begun to notice (I've only driven about 200 miles so far) is that the vibration seems more pronounced on certain roads. So, for me, it only happens around 40-55 (rough guess on speed) and is significantly more pronounced on certain roads than others (although the vibration is there at those speed on all roads). It is very strange. It makes it feel like I'm driving on extremely bald tires and/or a car that badly needs a front end alignment.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #105
jpa74
Private
12
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i sports line
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

My service center did a full road force balance of all four wheels.

The technicians balanced the front wheels twice: once with tires off and one more with tires mounted. They say that initial balancing of the front wheels with tires on did not correct the problem.

I suspect there may be a minor manufacturing flaw in the BMW wheels causing this problem.

I do not think it is a steering mechanics problem. My 328i Sport was an early March build (Munich). I do not have variable sport steering.

I have ZERO steering wheel vibration now. The steering feels a bit tighter even in comfort mode. Drives straight like an arrow. You can't even see any minor steering wheel shake at 40 - 60 mph.

Bravo to my local BMW dealership for getting it right.

Now, only a skipping wiper to replace, and my car will be perfect!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #106
StevenBTO
Private
Canada
3
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

No vibration

Picked up my 328i Sportline yesterday with 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7 run-flats. Production month was May. Happy to report no vibration.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #107
enriquejose
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328i automatico
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: spain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa74 View Post
My service center did a full road force balance of all four wheels.

The technicians balanced the front wheels twice: once with tires off and one more with tires mounted. They say that initial balancing of the front wheels with tires on did not correct the problem.

I suspect there may be a minor manufacturing flaw in the BMW wheels causing this problem.

I do not think it is a steering mechanics problem. My 328i Sport was an early March build (Munich). I do not have variable sport steering.

I have ZERO steering wheel vibration now. The steering feels a bit tighter even in comfort mode. Drives straight like an arrow. You can't even see any minor steering wheel shake at 40 - 60 mph.

Bravo to my local BMW dealership for getting it right.

Now, only a skipping wiper to replace, and my car will be perfect!
Could you please explain what is a full road force balance? thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #108
HairTooLongToo
New Member
2
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328 sportline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: canada

iTrader: (0)

Hmm, maybe I'll request a re-balance. And..... Confirmed that the dealership has a Road Force machine.

EDIT: Enrique, take a look at www.gsp9700.com , that is the machine that does road force balancing. The website allows you to search for shops that have the equipment to do a road force balance.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #109
The X Men
Colonel
27
Rep
2,008
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enriquejose View Post
Could you please explain what is a full road force balance? thanks.
That is a balancing mechine that can detect the stiffness of the sidewall at different point of the tires.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #110
enriquejose
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: f30 328i automatico
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: spain

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairTooLongToo View Post
Hmm, maybe I'll request a re-balance. And..... Confirmed that the dealership has a Road Force machine.

EDIT: Enrique, take a look at www.gsp9700.com , that is the machine that does road force balancing. The website allows you to search for shops that have the equipment to do a road force balance.
thank you.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST