F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Advice Request - Cleaning fabric interior
GetBMWParts

06-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Advice Request - Cleaning fabric interior

Seems to be a well informed group here so I would appreciate some of your finest free advice!

My current E60 has grey cloth seats. I got a bit a of a water stain on the driver's seat, so I asked my wife to clean it (first mistake?)

To my surprise, she agreed. However, using household fabric cleaners, she is basically creating a new, larger stain every time she tries to clean it...

Can anyone suggest a definitive way to proceed?

For clarity, it's not that there was much of a stain to begin with - the problem is that the cleaned area creates a new, bigger stained area!

TIA
      06-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Just curious, you are trying to clean "water" ? or a mark on the fabric after the water has dried ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwickers View Post
Just curious, you are trying to clean "water" ? or a mark on the fabric after the water has dried ?
After the water has dried it leaves a stain. The original stain is gone but the cleaning water itself is leaving a stain (which is then bigger than the original stain!)

In fact, anywhere on the seat she tries to clean simply results in a stain that is somewhat darker than the grey fabric!

I hope that makes sense. I'm starting to think I may have to go to a professional valeting company...
      06-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
time to stain the entire interior to match lol, try a wet vac with only hot water no soap
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
time to stain the entire interior to match lol, try a wet vac with only hot water no soap
I think it might well be a case of having to soak the whole seat right enough...