F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > f30 tinting....mole skin?
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

f30 tinting....mole skin?

any of you guys with tinted windows already are you guys getting scratches in your tint? any of you guys use mole skin when tinting? most tints have lifetime guarantees so was just wondering on your thoughts.

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Moleskin? the stuff for your feet?

I've never had a car scratch the tint. What are you doing in your car to scratch it?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
Moleskin? the stuff for your feet?

I've never had a car scratch the tint. What are you doing in your car to scratch it?
my buddy in his e90 had his tint getting scratched and mentioned it to me last night. never even heard of it beforehand. tints on other cars were good.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
my buddy in his e90 had his tint getting scratched and mentioned it to me last night. never even heard of it beforehand. tints on other cars were good.
Oh ok, glad I'm not alone.


Our Z4 has been fine on the tint. Biggest thing out here is keeping the dirt out of the felt (which basically means don't park w/ your windows down).

Friends w/ E90's and no problems there either...I'd suspect neglect as the cause.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

yeah I asked him what mole skin was and I guess they need to take apart the door cover? I guess I can do that on my own but tinting should not cost $300
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
yeah I asked him what mole skin was and I guess they need to take apart the door cover? I guess I can do that on my own but tinting should not cost $300
No reason to remove door panel IMO. My tint guy hasn't ever removed a door panel. and I agree 300.00 is a bit rich.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
jeremy480
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

I paid $160 to get all 5 windows tinted about 3 months ago and so far so good, not scratches or anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
jrob
Bimmer God
0

 
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wichita, KS


Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Can you just lower the window enough to clean out any dirt that may be trapped in the groove that is scratching your tint? The only time my tint on my E46 ever got scratched or chipped was when my window regulators failed (have replaced all 4 to date, ). That and from some stiletto heels but that's neither here nor there.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob View Post
Can you just lower the window enough to clean out any dirt that may be trapped in the groove that is scratching your tint? The only time my tint on my E46 ever got scratched or chipped was when my window regulators failed (have replaced all 4 to date, ). That and from some stiletto heels but that's neither here nor there.
guess i can try to see if there is any dirt under there....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
No reason to remove door panel IMO. My tint guy hasn't ever removed a door panel. and I agree 300.00 is a bit rich.
you don't have to remove the door panel to get to the stripping so that you can cover it with mole skin?

i would think i would have to...it should be easy though its just a door panel...i just don't want someone else to make me pay them extra labor. if there's gonna be any scratches on it too its gonna be from me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
4

 
Drives: 05 Elise REV310
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Odessa, TX


Posts: 442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
you don't have to remove the door panel to get to the stripping so that you can cover it with mole skin?

i would think i would have to...it should be easy though its just a door panel...i just don't want someone else to make me pay them extra labor. if there's gonna be any scratches on it too its gonna be from me.
I don't think you need moleskin....The bits that might contact the window already have something similar on them (or at least they have on every car I've owned...) and it'd seem like an unlikely step backwards for BMW to allow something to contact the glass w/o "protection".

I'm not sure what your friend is talking about...but I can say w/ confidence I've never heard of this being necessary on any car...Hell I had a 1979 Ford that had a bit of cloth on all the bits that contacted the window, as to not cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
I don't think you need moleskin....The bits that might contact the window already have something similar on them (or at least they have on every car I've owned...) and it'd seem like an unlikely step backwards for BMW to allow something to contact the glass w/o "protection".

I'm not sure what your friend is talking about...but I can say w/ confidence I've never heard of this being necessary on any car...Hell I had a 1979 Ford that had a bit of cloth on all the bits that contacted the window, as to not cause damage.
seems like i need it though....the rear is already creating lines on my non-tinted windows...plus its only $30 and i will install myself. then when i give the car back i can say look no lines on the windows too! haha
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
2k13f10
Private First Class
1

 
2k13f10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 550i M-Sport AW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas


Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

$300 isn't completely out of line provided your getting ceramic tint
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Gins
I can't find my pants.
No_Country
32

 
Gins's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 8=====D \o/ 335i, yo


Posts: 2,508
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
E90s are notorious for scratching tint... they absolutely need moleskin.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
omer
Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
Drives: 2013 535i xdrive Msport
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States


Posts: 418
iTrader: (0)

My tints on my E90 are so F up. Lines everywhere all 4 windows.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Longbow64
_______
11

 
Longbow64's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando


Posts: 749
iTrader: (4)

http://www.tintprotector.com/

I used this kit on my E90 M3. The windows were all scratched up. Removed the tint and retinted. I haven't had a single streak since adding the "moleskin." I'm not sure if this is a problem with the F30, but it definitely was for the E90.
__________________

'09 E90 M3 | VF620 SC tuned and coded by BPM | KW V3 | ARC Wheels w/AD08 | OnEighty Lights | AA Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance and IND trim | Recaro Profi and child seats
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
92

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

I bought the moleskin but was not able to install because i couldnt figure out how to get the doorpanel off. It gives streaks but its just dirt and wipes off.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
2013GTR
Second Lieutenant
5

 
2013GTR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: USA


Posts: 204
iTrader: (2)

Do the new F30's have no inner OEM felt like the E90's?

Do they need the Tint Protector felt to stop the vertical scratches in the tint?

Anyone see scratches yet?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #19
1bad335
Captain
6

 
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York


Posts: 606
iTrader: (2)

My E90 tint is pretty scratched up all around. I bought the mole skins and just never got around to putting it on and honestly the damage was already done. The install is easy and the stuff is cheap. When I get my F30 I will be putting on the mole skin just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #20
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
22

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida


Posts: 1,893
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
My E90 tint is pretty scratched up all around. I bought the mole skins and just never got around to putting it on and honestly the damage was already done. The install is easy and the stuff is cheap. When I get my F30 I will be putting on the mole skin just to be sure.
I don't think you'll need felts for the F30. So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
10

 
AWMSPORT's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Fla


Posts: 748
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
My E90 tint is pretty scratched up all around. I bought the mole skins and just never got around to putting it on and honestly the damage was already done. The install is easy and the stuff is cheap. When I get my F30 I will be putting on the mole skin just to be sure.
I don't think you'll need felts for the F30. So far, so good.
Not 100% true, but since we have a "higher class" vehicle there is " supposedly " better felt in the window seal...and if the car is new then you shouldn't have any problems...according to my tint guy....

But....since I have had a BMW for a while now, I have always had those dam scratches. It sucks!!!

Your best bet is when u get tint, make sure you have lifetime warranty! This way every few months you can get it retinted. My car is only about 2months old now and I already have them.

IMO.
__________________
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
1bad335
Captain
6

 
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New York


Posts: 606
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I don't think you'll need felts for the F30. So far, so good.
great news. Saves me some time for sure. Thanks for the heads up.


AWMSPORT also good info. Have to find a tint guy that offers a warranty. My 5 series and 335 all had the scratches too.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST