F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Paint protection: opti-coat
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i MSport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Paint protection: opti-coat

I was reading in the detailing section of the forum and came across a paint protection product called opti-coat.
It seems to be extremely good in the sense that its coating is extremely thick and last 5+ years.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it or know about its gloss and shine.

I'm a keen detailer and don't think waxing the car frequently. But if this thing can maintain the same level of shine and adds protection then I'm all for it...

http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/pro...rotection.html
CrazyLatte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i MSport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

From their web site...
A single layer of Optimum Clear Coating measures approximately 2 microns in thickness. When compared to other paint protection products, Opti-Coat is more than 100 times thicker, with tests showing a wax coating measuring less than 0.02 microns.
CrazyLatte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have a detailer I've known for about 6 years at least and he'll be apply this to my F30 when it arrives. It'll be the first time it's been applied to a car of mine.

Given how OCD he is about his work (which is why I love him) I'm more than happy to accept his recommendation, he's kept my cars looking brand new over the years.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i MSport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

That's great Dabaitu! are you able to take some before and after pics?
I'm keen to see if this product increases the gloss and shine of the paint or is it really just a layer of protection and repels dirt...
CrazyLatte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
I have a detailer I've known for about 6 years at least and he'll be apply this to my F30 when it arrives. It'll be the first time it's been applied to a car of mine.

Given how OCD he is about his work (which is why I love him) I'm more than happy to accept his recommendation, he's kept my cars looking brand new over the years.
He service the BNE area? ... would be keen to find out $$ and see your b4 and after pics too
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLatte View Post
That's great Dabaitu! are you able to take some before and after pics?
I'm keen to see if this product increases the gloss and shine of the paint or is it really just a layer of protection and repels dirt...
Sure, I could do that. My plan is to pick it up in the morning and then my detailer will do the leather treatment and Opticoat application at my place.

For best results he suggested it cure for a day, and while it'll be hard not to drive it I'm happy to do this if it means I have a great protection coat to the mineral white paintwork

Besides, I'll need some time to push all the buttons and play around with the iDrive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
He service the BNE area? ... would be keen to find out $$ and see your b4 and after pics too
PM Sent.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Sure, I could do that. My plan is to pick it up in the morning and then my detailer will do the leather treatment and Opticoat application at my place.

For best results he suggested it cure for a day, and while it'll be hard not to drive it I'm happy to do this if it means I have a great protection coat to the mineral white paintwork

Besides, I'll need some time to push all the buttons and play around with the iDrive system.

PM Sent.

Thanks man~! keen to get my car and eventually give the guys a call
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (0)

I do alot of detailing on my cars... seems to be some sort of sealant.. a thicker version. I wax and do a full detail of my cars every quarter not so much now compared to before but definitely I'd be skeptical to see that it can retain shine and no wear over the period of 5 years.

I've used sealants such as Zaino but reverted back to Meguiars.

My cars are all dark colors grey & black they still look brand new. I've got a mate who bought the paint protection stuff from dealers who guaranteed swirl protection and stuff.. and when I scanned through in detail with an LED light.. he got scammed.

Be sure to ask for warranty.. I'd be surprised if they offer anything more than a year.
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I've got a mate who bought the paint protection stuff from dealers who guaranteed swirl protection and stuff.. and when I scanned through in detail with an LED light.. he got scammed..
Yea my e92 had the dealer 'paint protection' done to it. Get it washed and detailed constantly but still have swirls... seems inevitable
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (0)

Hey spikey , how often between each detail..? and what consists in the detailing sessions..

I usually go clay bar, polish, (color restore) , wax .

We do like 10,000k's a year so I do it every quarter but once a month if daily use
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I know you asked Spikey, but for what it's worth I do about 15,000km pa and have a full detail done every two months, with a general bucket wash every two or three weeks in between.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #12
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 762
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Hey spikey , how often between each detail..? and what consists in the detailing sessions..

I usually go clay bar, polish, (color restore) , wax .

We do like 10,000k's a year so I do it every quarter but once a month if daily use
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
I know you asked Spikey, but for what it's worth I do about 15,000km pa and have a full detail done every two months, with a general bucket wash every two or three weeks in between.
I do around 20,000+km pa... so I take it to get washed pretty much once every 3 weeks (sometimes more in summer due to the rain/excess dirt...) ... Then about once every 2-3 months I go full clay bar, wax, polish.
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I do alot of detailing on my cars... seems to be some sort of sealant.. a thicker version. I wax and do a full detail of my cars every quarter not so much now compared to before but definitely I'd be skeptical to see that it can retain shine and no wear over the period of 5 years.

I've used sealants such as Zaino but reverted back to Meguiars.

My cars are all dark colors grey & black they still look brand new. I've got a mate who bought the paint protection stuff from dealers who guaranteed swirl protection and stuff.. and when I scanned through in detail with an LED light.. he got scammed.

Be sure to ask for warranty.. I'd be surprised if they offer anything more than a year.
Couple things:

- It's not a sealant per se. It's actually a urethane-type clearcoat. It's permanent. That's why if you were to buy it yourself, you have to sign a waiver stating you know what you're doing.

- It's not the same crap that dealers peddle. Theirs is just a synthetic sealant. Opti-Coat is permanent.

- Check out the Autopia.org detailing forums. There are reviews on there where a guy has been testing it on a car for the last 3 years. He used it to actually REPLACE failing clear coat on an old beater. after a couple years he even poured muriatic acid on it as a test, and it still stands.

I don't work for Optimum, nor do I sell it. I have it on my 335 and it is amazing. I just wash the car, and it looks freshly waxed. Shed's dirt like nobodies business! I used to wax, polish and all that, but I have no time anymore. It really is a great product.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
CrazyLatte
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i MSport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
I have it on my 335 and it is amazing. I just wash the car, and it looks freshly waxed. Shed's dirt like nobodies business! I used to wax, polish and all that, but I have no time anymore. It really is a great product.
how is the gloss, shine and depth compared to carnauba wax?
I don't really care about water beading, etc. I want the car to have the gloss and depth of colour.
CrazyLatte is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLatte View Post
how is the gloss, shine and depth compared to carnauba wax?
I don't really care about water beading, etc. I want the car to have the gloss and depth of colour.
the gloss and depth won't be as nice as carnauba. It resembles the gloss of a synthetic sealant like Klasse.

you can top it, but it won't last long as opticoat will shed it quickly.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #16
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (0)

Lets get some pictures going
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2012, 05:10 AM   #17
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
OC should also help to reduce the sand-blasting effect and severity of stone chips on paint too I'd expect.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
OC should also help to reduce the sand-blasting effect and severity of stone chips on paint too I'd expect.
It should, but a good stone hit will probably still chip it. Sand, definitely.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (0)

From this interesting thread I had done abit of analysis on the product.. Apparently you can DIY it .. get it from Amazon for 50 USD. But.. the product has not much customer reviews.. which I usually based my difference on when comparing 2 products.
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
From this interesting thread I had done abit of analysis on the product.. Apparently you can DIY it .. get it from Amazon for 50 USD. But.. the product has not much customer reviews.. which I usually based my difference on when comparing 2 products.
You can DIY. Just remember you seal in anything on your paint. So unless you're confident in removing swirls, holograms and contaminents prior to applying Opti Coat, you may be better off having a pro do it.

Check out autopia.org for lots of reviews on the detailing forum.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #21
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
You can DIY. Just remember you seal in anything on your paint. So unless you're confident in removing swirls, holograms and contaminents prior to applying Opti Coat, you may be better off having a pro do it.

Check out autopia.org for lots of reviews on the detailing forum.
+1

This is why I'm taking delivery then driving it straight home before full claybar and wash first.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
TWD
 
Drives: All sorts of Cars
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 1,037
iTrader: (0)

Great discussion guys.

We've never used OptiCoat but it's always been a product we have been meaning to test and try (as we do with all our recommended products).

We have been using Nanolex and Wolf's Chemicals with fantastic results.
Excellent depth in paint and unmatched slickness too.

This is what we are using on the new 1Ms, C63s, etc.


And yes, use any sealant/wax products after thorough decontamination/paint cleanse and paint correction has been carried out.
TWD is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST