F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Overall impressions of my first BMW experience
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
jgentry
Enlisted Member
 
jgentry's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Overall impressions of my first BMW experience

I just traded my 2011 Camaro 2SS in on a brand new, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan and I couldn't be happier. Even with 100 less horse power, the BMW actually feels faster than the Camaro. Am I crazy?



I ended up purchasing a BMW that was already built and on a ship. It had a lot more features than I would have added had I built it from scratch but it was worth the extra money to not have to wait as long. I was a little annoyed that it took so long to get on a truck once it reached California. I think it sat idle for about 9 days.

Now the only complaint I have deals with the tires. The build sheet said it would show up with all-season tires. However, it clearly has high-performance tires on it. Being from Colorado, I really wanted the all-seasons. I'm working with my dealer now to rectify.

I'm really happy with the Harman Kardon sound system. The low end isn't as powerful as the 10" JBL I had in my Camaro but I'm definitely satisfied with what's there.

The backup camera is a must. The guidance lines are incredibly useful and I don't know if I can buy another car without them. I also got the heads-up display. Also nice although I can't figure out why the BMW engineers didn't add turn signals to the HUD. That seems like a no-brainer.

The connected drive is fun although I'm a little annoyed that it disables the bluetooth audio. I switch back and forth quite often. Also, I didn't buy the iPhone cradle because I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 soon and $250 just seems like a waste, especially since all of the features work with the stock USB cable. I did find out, however, that it is a bad idea to leave your iPhone in the console when driving. It had to shut itself down because it overheated. I've since routed a USB cable through the console and ending up with the 30-pin connector next to the cup-holders (Macally cup-holder mount is on its way).

Overall I'm extremely impressed with the technology on my BMW. It seems like the engineers thought of everything (almost). As for a future feature wishlist, I'd really like the following (not sure if some of them are even possible or feasible, I know some of these are available in the higher-end BMW models):

1) Turn signals on the HUD
2) BMW Apps through bluetooth
3) Cruise control presets (i.e. 35mph, 45mph, etc.)
4) Programmable iDrive buttons next to the iDrive controller (a.k.a. knob)
5) Rear-view mirror position included as part of the profile memory
6) Tilt/telescope steering wheel included as part of the profile memory
7) iPhone album art display through bluetooth

That's all for now, time to go drive!
jgentry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
webdither
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas

Posts: 577
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats! Love the color!
__________________
2014 M235i | July 2nd Euro Delivery | Manual | Estoril Blue / Terra | Tech, Premium, HK Audio, & Driver Assist | M Performance Exhaust, Stainless Steel Pedals, Black Kidney Grilles

Euro Delivery Trip Report
webdither is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
verbs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

The reason it feels quicker is because it makes 300 lb-ft off idle and it weighs less than your Camaro. I came from a 2008 M5 and feel the same way you do at low rpms and putzing around town.
verbs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
jgentry
Enlisted Member
 
jgentry's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

That makes sense. It definitely "feels" lighter.
__________________
2013 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Metallic, 19" Light Alloy Double-spoke Style Wheels
jgentry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
E36toF30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CO

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
The reason it feels quicker is because it makes 300 lb-ft off idle and it weighs less than your Camaro. I came from a 2008 M5 and feel the same way you do at low rpms and putzing around town.
Yeah, that's part of it. The other reason is elevation. The OP said he's in Colorado; I'll assume somewhere near Denver, which is about 5280 feet. That means the naturally aspirated Camaro loses a straight ~15% of it's power compared to sea level, meaning the 426 hp Camaro effectively has more like 360. The turbo charged engine in the 335i will have slightly more turbo lag at elevation, but once the turbo is going it makes virtually the same power as at sea level. Plus, BMW does tend to underrate their engines a bit.

Last edited by E36toF30; 10-06-2012 at 09:57 PM.
E36toF30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
jgentry
Enlisted Member
 
jgentry's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Fort Collins but close enough. Interesting stuff!
__________________
2013 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Metallic, 19" Light Alloy Double-spoke Style Wheels
jgentry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
E36toF30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CO

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Also, I'm not sure if your Camaro was an auto or manual, but the ZF 8 speed in the BMW is probably a lot better than whatever auto Chevy is using.
E36toF30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
verbs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Yeah, that's part of it. The other reason is elevation. The OP said he's in Colorado; I'll assume somewhere near Denver, which is about 5280 feet. That means the naturally aspirated Camaro loses a straight ~15% of it's power compared to sea level, meaning the 426 hp Camaro effectively has more like 360. The turbo charged engine in the 335i will have slightly more turbo lag at elevation, but once the turbo is going it makes virtually the same power as at sea level. Plus, BMW does tend to underrate their engines a bit.
Didn't realize he was in Colorado. So yeah, that too. If you want to get technical the 335i actually makes closer to 320lb-ft of torque if you look at actual hp. And not to mention if you have the 8-speed auto, you have closer spaced gears in the Camaro which do a better job keeping you in the ideal powerband combined with faster shifting, which again aids in that perception.
verbs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
DrivenByE30
Colonel
 
DrivenByE30's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

Posts: 2,854
iTrader: (0)

Once you have really tasted the BMW driving dynamics, it's really hard to find better elsewhere stock...

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the family.

Enjoy one of the ultimate driving machines Happy driving !
DrivenByE30 is online now   France
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ric124's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,556
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No you are not crazy! Here are the numbers from zeroto60times


2012 BMW 335i Sedan 0-60 mph 4.6 Quarter Mile 13.1

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter Mile 13.0

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS 0-60 mph 4.8

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 mph 3.1 Quarter Mile 11.0 ★ Editor's Choice ★
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
ric124 is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
jsbmw87
Gear Head
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Looks like you got it at Gebhardt in Boulder!

Bought mine there too.

Great place.
__________________
2013 535i X Drive M Sport
jsbmw87 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
sean10mm
Private First Class
 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

All else being equal, AWD cars will feel like they pull harder than RWD too, and usually have fractionally faster 0-60 times. BMW claims the xdrive 335i is a couple tenths faster to 60 than the RWD version even though the xdrive adds a bit of weight.
sean10mm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Cyberdemon
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

Posts: 760
iTrader: (0)

The Camaro is a pig, especially if it was an automatic. I rented an SS and was appalled how slow it felt. And that's coming from someone who was in love with the LSx engines.
__________________
2013 335i M Sport /// Alpine White/Coral Red
Cyberdemon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
verbs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
No you are not crazy! Here are the numbers from zeroto60times


2012 BMW 335i Sedan 0-60 mph 4.6 Quarter Mile 13.1

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible 0-60 mph 4.8 Quarter Mile 13.0

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS 0-60 mph 4.8

I've also NEVER seen an F30 BMW 335i sedan run anything close to a 13.1 second 1/4 mile stock. "Supposedly" motor trend had it running a 13.3@103.9mph, and that's the closest I've ever seen to a low 13 second 1/4 mile. I've also seen 1/4 mile runs as bad as 13.8 seconds in the rags.

Let's be clear here. From a roll the Camaro is a good amount faster than the 335i. In the 1/4 mile it'll trap a good 5-7mph faster which is a good indication of the horsepower differentials. It's just harder to get all the weight of the Camaro going off the line.
verbs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
jgentry
Enlisted Member
 
jgentry's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
All else being equal, AWD cars will feel like they pull harder than RWD too, and usually have fractionally faster 0-60 times. BMW claims the xdrive 335i is a couple tenths faster to 60 than the RWD version even though the xdrive adds a bit of weight.
Hah, that's good to know (xDrive versus AWD). I had the misconception that the xDrive would actually make it slower off the line (xDrive weight, etc.).
__________________
2013 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Metallic, 19" Light Alloy Double-spoke Style Wheels
jgentry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
MaestroAl
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

AWD is always harder to launch than RWD - it's common misconception that somehow 0-60 times are magically shorter on AWD cars. The truth is that it's extremely difficult to get a good launch in a turbocharged AWD car. You either have to pile on the revs and sidestep the clutch (ain't gonna do your drivetrain any good!) or you risk bogging down and out of boost. Also general drivetrain losses of AWD mean there's fewer horses at the wheels and then there's all the extra weight

Don't get me wrong, I drive AWD now and I love it but it's not all that there's a reason no track racing cars are AWD
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,686
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Congrats, beautiful car. Yeah the camaro if Im not mistaken is like 4100lbs maybe more. It got a bump of a 100hp from the previous gen but performance pretty much stayed the same due to the extra weight. I think the F30 335i weighs roughly 3600-3700 lbs so thats probably why you feel like its quicker and more nimble.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
E36toF30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CO

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbmw87 View Post
Looks like you got it at Gebhardt in Boulder!

Bought mine there too.

Great place.
That's where I got mine too. I agree it's a nice place. I like my CA there.
E36toF30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Il Fenomeno 415
In top form...
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive coming...
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentry View Post
I just traded my 2011 Camaro 2SS in on a brand new, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan and I couldn't be happier. Even with 100 less horse power, the BMW actually feels faster than the Camaro. Am I crazy?



I ended up purchasing a BMW that was already built and on a ship. It had a lot more features than I would have added had I built it from scratch but it was worth the extra money to not have to wait as long. I was a little annoyed that it took so long to get on a truck once it reached California. I think it sat idle for about 9 days.

Now the only complaint I have deals with the tires. The build sheet said it would show up with all-season tires. However, it clearly has high-performance tires on it. Being from Colorado, I really wanted the all-seasons. I'm working with my dealer now to rectify.

I'm really happy with the Harman Kardon sound system. The low end isn't as powerful as the 10" JBL I had in my Camaro but I'm definitely satisfied with what's there.

The backup camera is a must. The guidance lines are incredibly useful and I don't know if I can buy another car without them. I also got the heads-up display. Also nice although I can't figure out why the BMW engineers didn't add turn signals to the HUD. That seems like a no-brainer.

The connected drive is fun although I'm a little annoyed that it disables the bluetooth audio. I switch back and forth quite often. Also, I didn't buy the iPhone cradle because I will be upgrading to the iPhone 5 soon and $250 just seems like a waste, especially since all of the features work with the stock USB cable. I did find out, however, that it is a bad idea to leave your iPhone in the console when driving. It had to shut itself down because it overheated. I've since routed a USB cable through the console and ending up with the 30-pin connector next to the cup-holders (Macally cup-holder mount is on its way).

Overall I'm extremely impressed with the technology on my BMW. It seems like the engineers thought of everything (almost). As for a future feature wishlist, I'd really like the following (not sure if some of them are even possible or feasible, I know some of these are available in the higher-end BMW models):

1) Turn signals on the HUD
2) BMW Apps through bluetooth
3) Cruise control presets (i.e. 35mph, 45mph, etc.)
4) Programmable iDrive buttons next to the iDrive controller (a.k.a. knob)
5) Rear-view mirror position included as part of the profile memory
6) Tilt/telescope steering wheel included as part of the profile memory
7) iPhone album art display through bluetooth

That's all for now, time to go drive!

hey i see you have the 19" staggered wheels on there. Do you have any concerns about the 19" wheels for winter use? I'm debating whether I should have a spare 18" wheel set for winter if I order mine with the 19" wheels.

I'm also about to place an order on a 335i xdrive in mineral gray. the car is sweet, congrats!
Il Fenomeno 415 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
jgentry
Enlisted Member
 
jgentry's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

The guys at Gebhardt treated me well. They weren't my "local" dealer but they were willing to deal with me over email rather than making me come in; a hard thing to do when you have kids.

Regarding the 19" wheel concern in winter weather driving conditions, I wasn't concerned until now. Why would there be a difference between 18" and 19"? I didn't explicitly order it with the 19s but as it was already on its way I went ahead and paid the extra $$ rather than wait for a custom build. They do look nice! I'm currently working with my dealer to get the all-season tires on it. The build sheet said it was supposed to come with all-seasons.
__________________
2013 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Metallic, 19" Light Alloy Double-spoke Style Wheels
jgentry is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #21
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
 
willa1975's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgentry View Post
The guys at Gebhardt treated me well. They weren't my "local" dealer but they were willing to deal with me over email rather than making me come in; a hard thing to do when you have kids.

Regarding the 19" wheel concern in winter weather driving conditions, I wasn't concerned until now. Why would there be a difference between 18" and 19"? I didn't explicitly order it with the 19s but as it was already on its way I went ahead and paid the extra $$ rather than wait for a custom build. They do look nice! I'm currently working with my dealer to get the all-season tires on it. The build sheet said it was supposed to come with all-seasons.
I think you would do better to forget about the all-seasons and instead buy a set of 18" wheels with dedicated winter rubber. They should offer you a good deal considering that you just bought a new car from them. You'll do a lot better in the winter compared to being on 19s with all-seasons, and you'll have a lot more fun in summer with the performance tires.
willa1975 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
tr0tt3r
New Member
 
Drives: audi q5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ...over the rainbow

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

^^^ +1

All season tires are bad in the summer and worse in the winter. Get some decent winter tires and keep the summer ones. People always neglect the rubber, but that's your contact to the road.
tr0tt3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST