F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Radio Text - Station, Artist, Track Information
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
PAR5
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: F30 318d Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southampton, UK

iTrader: (0)

Radio Text - Station, Artist, Track Information

Hello All, first post so go easy on me!

Should be picking up my new 318d Sport a week from now and am like a kid waiting for Christmas!!

I'm currently driving a 2008 Audi A4 though and have a question re the radio text.

The Audi radio shows more than just the radio station. For example, Radio 1 will tell me which show is currently on, what track is currently playing and who by.

The chap at BMW said that BMW doesn't offer this. (a comment backed up by a colleague who drives an E90).

Can someone please confirm if this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

mine does. whatever station is selected it shows artist and title, but i have 328i and tech package.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Major General
South Africa
157
Rep
8,098
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

E90 here show it with radio stations that send out the info. ( We get stations name and track name)
Maybe your colleague doesnt listen to a station that sends out the info
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
PAR5
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: F30 318d Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southampton, UK

iTrader: (0)

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I didn't think BMW would leave something like this out but glad I've had it confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
shoptb
Captain
shoptb's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: 13 328i MSport EBII 8A
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus OH

iTrader: (0)

What you're talking about is 'RDS' (Radio Data System). I get this in my E92, and it should be available in the F30. Your options/packages are a bit different in the UK, but the RDS is the same and should be standard. As one previous poster mentioned, it does vary by station.
__________________
Current --> '13 F30 328i, 8SA, EBII, ZMM, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP, ZDA, ZCW, ZDH
Past ------> '08 E92 335xi, 6MT, DGM w SDL, ZPP, ZTP, ZLP
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
justinnum1
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

i got f30 without nav and i can see it, you have to click to the right an dspecify it to show channel info
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
simonh100
New Member
United Kingdom
0
Rep
16
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 318d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southampton, Hampshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR5 View Post
Hello All, first post so go easy on me!

Should be picking up my new 318d Sport a week from now and am like a kid waiting for Christmas!!

I'm currently driving a 2008 Audi A4 though and have a question re the radio text.

The Audi radio shows more than just the radio station. For example, Radio 1 will tell me which show is currently on, what track is currently playing and who by.

The chap at BMW said that BMW doesn't offer this. (a comment backed up by a colleague who drives an E90).

Can someone please confirm if this is the case?
Was intrigued by this as I had it in a recent hire car (Vauxhall Insignia) and thought it was really cool. Hoped it would work in my new F30 and it doesn't seem to.
Just been out to the car to have a play (and read of the manual) and all that is displayed is the radio station name. Tried several stations and no further information such as artist or track name was displayed.
Now it may be that the data for this info was not being either transmitted or received but I don't think so, but will give it a few days and a bit more playing to see how I go..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
sr5959
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonh100 View Post
Was intrigued by this as I had it in a recent hire car (Vauxhall Insignia) and thought it was really cool. Hoped it would work in my new F30 and it doesn't seem to.
Just been out to the car to have a play (and read of the manual) and all that is displayed is the radio station name. Tried several stations and no further information such as artist or track name was displayed.
Now it may be that the data for this info was not being either transmitted or received but I don't think so, but will give it a few days and a bit more playing to see how I go..
My friends A4 will also show the track being played on other stations in the list before you select them. Bit disappointed the F30 doesn't do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
My friends A4 will also show the track being played on other stations in the list before you select them. Bit disappointed the F30 doesn't do this.
i'm pretty sure it does. you can change the list view to show song titles.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
sr5959
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Auto
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonh100 View Post
Was intrigued by this as I had it in a recent hire car (Vauxhall Insignia) and thought it was really cool. Hoped it would work in my new F30 and it doesn't seem to.
Just been out to the car to have a play (and read of the manual) and all that is displayed is the radio station name. Tried several stations and no further information such as artist or track name was displayed.
Now it may be that the data for this info was not being either transmitted or received but I don't think so, but will give it a few days and a bit more playing to see how I go..
Mine shows the Artist and Title for track being played, if you set the split screen to show 'Entertainment details'.

I haven't found a way to view track playing on multiple stations before you select one, which I've seen working in the A4.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #11
sjohal
Private
2
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Fish9
Registered
Belgium
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 320d F30 Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

OK, just had my 320d delivered with the professional GPS and there is NO radiotext available. So why bother with a +2,000 euro GPS + 500 euro sound system and not having this. SHAME ON BMW. My friend has an Astra, 20,000 euro cheaper, with station, program and song being played... I'm very upset by this (knowig my wife's Q3 has it... in the basic GPS version)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
crowdedhouse
Private First Class
crowdedhouse's Avatar
Ireland
4
Rep
122
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d MSport
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Does the UK or Euro radio have Long Wave ?
__________________

Seven Worlds Will Collide
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
pty, radio, rds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST