F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Should F30 owners be worried about this theft?
jb4store
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
ikonic
Private First Class
9

 
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Although I take everybody's point with regards to not "worrying" etc, I think you're all slightly missing the point that this is an issue that is clearly affecting UK owners at least, if not our american friends.


Although the UK press reports have stated that this type of theft can affect many manufacturers; what we are seeing here in the UK is a clear concerted effort to target BMW owners. I daresay that official press reports have been careful to mention it afflicts other manufacturers for fear of damaging their relations with BMW HO. Certainly if you look at the Pistonheads forum, many people have come forward to say their BMW has been stolen in this manner, though I can't recall any other marque owners making similar noises.


A family friend of ours living in London recently had their E90 320i taken in this manner and was specifically told by the policeman that gangs operating in London and Birmingham were targeting BMWs. Comparatively, theft rates for Audis, Mercs etc. were very low in comparison.


The gangs/scum in question have evidently found a flaw/loophole in BMW's security system; not just through the OBD port; but also the alarm sensors given that most vehicles have been taken without the alarm ever triggering.


Whilst I'm sure US owners may well think its scaremongering (and perhaps it is for you guys), there is a clear problem here in the UK which F30 owners at least ought to know about so that they can take precautions.


And as for insurance will cover it and everyone will be happy as larry.... I mean really???! None of you will be gutted to see your pride and joy taken away knowing that a simple precaution could have prevented it? I don't know about your insurance situation in the US, but here in the UK, a total loss claim on your insurance could potentially make it prohibitively expensive to re-insure your new BMW the following year.


Hopefully none of the "F" models are affected, and its only the "E" models that can't be caught by this method, but it'd be nice to know either way.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Jogabs77
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2or4
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Maybe an adapter lock can be made to prevent thieves from plugging into the port. By doing this it deters them from plugging in programmer.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #25
rt10415
Private
United Kingdom
2

 
rt10415's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 320d sport auto 18"
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glasgow


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

some of the comments on here make me laugh

How many locks have you got on the doors to your house?
Have you got unbreakable glass in your windows?

as I, and others have said, if they want to steal it they will. you can't buy/make/invent a device which could stop them, only delay them. If you slept in it they would just take you too!

There may be issues here in the UK with thefts etc, but they are not as common as is being made out, but then what would I know, it's not like I'm a cop or anything...........
__________________
F30 320d sport auto 18" alpine white
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #26
Number
60

 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚


Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnofcross View Post
Hmm. I know you have to press the brake to start up the car with the 8 speed, so maybe a brake lock would work?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Club-Vehic.../dp/B000L9T7AY

I know it's kinda tacky to have a physical lock (just like those old school wheel locks) but this might be the best solution.

I've never had this product before, but this news scares me enough to want to try...
I have a similar product called the AutoLock.
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-The-UN.../dp/B0007ZFTHW

It is pretty much impossible to steal your car unless you have a plasma torch or diamond cutter.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #27
ikonic
Private First Class
9

 
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415
some of the comments on here make me laugh

How many locks have you got on the doors to your house?
Have you got unbreakable glass in your windows?

as I, and others have said, if they want to steal it they will. you can't buy/make/invent a device which could stop them, only delay them. If you slept in it they would just take you too!

There may be issues here in the UK with thefts etc, but they are not as common as is being made out, but then what would I know, it's not like I'm a cop or anything...........
Err... So it's laughable to want to protect your own property?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to take an additional precaution. I'd personally rather not have my car stolen or at best make it harder for the scum to get away with my belongings thanks.

By your logic, I presume you don't have a house alarm or bother to lock your doors when you go out as, "if a thief wants something, he'll find a way of getting it anyway"?

Seeing as most the thefts involve someone reaching into the blind spot to connect the OBD adaptor (so as not to trigger the car alarm), I actually think a metal plate or lock across the port slot could be quite successful.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #28
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
52

 
svache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii


Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415 View Post
only delay them
This is, however, a big deal. Thieves usually don't like delays, the longer a job takes, the more risky it will be for them.

If one car has a lock over their adapter, and the next one doesn't. Which one do you think they will go after?
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
johnofcross
First Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
johnofcross's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL


Posts: 306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I have a similar product called the AutoLock.
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-The-UN.../dp/B0007ZFTHW

It is pretty much impossible to steal your car unless you have a plasma torch or diamond cutter.
Man, reading the reviews of that product (and the one I linked) makes me wonder the validity of this product! Too many people writing about how their car was stolen with this thing on. I thought this was solid, but now I don't know!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
rt10415
Private
United Kingdom
2

 
rt10415's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 320d sport auto 18"
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glasgow


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonic View Post
Err... So it's laughable to want to protect your own property?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to take an additional precaution. I'd personally rather not have my car stolen or at best make it harder for the scum to get away with my belongings thanks.

By your logic, I presume you don't have a house alarm or bother to lock your doors when you go out as, "if a thief wants something, he'll find a way of getting it anyway"?

Seeing as most the thefts involve someone reaching into the blind spot to connect the OBD adaptor (so as not to trigger the car alarm), I actually think a metal plate or lock across the port slot could be quite successful.
yes I do have a house alarm and lock my doors, to do otherwise would just be stupid. Similar to locking my car and leaving valuables out of sight when it's unattended. However I'm not about to start fixing crude metal plates to my shiny new 32k car, on the slight chance that theives will target my car.

Take all the extra precautions you like, but I kind of like the fact that when I get in to my car I can just press the start button and go. Not get in, remove several locks, put them somewhere they won't rattle during the journey or so the passenger doesn't need to carry them, then think about driving.

do you carry a gun too? in case you get car jacked. that happens too.
__________________
F30 320d sport auto 18" alpine white
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
rt10415
Private
United Kingdom
2

 
rt10415's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 320d sport auto 18"
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glasgow


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
This is, however, a big deal. Thieves usually don't like delays, the longer a job takes, the more risky it will be for them.

If one car has a lock over their adapter, and the next one doesn't. Which one do you think they will go after?
absolutely agree, however, do you always park next to other lesser equiped BMW's? no probably not.

If they are using this method for overcoming the security of the car then they will have been watching you or targeting you because they want your particular model, so they will still want your car and as I've said before they will get it if they want it.

most car thefts (in the UK at least), other than boy racers wanting a chase, are stolen to order. so what's the answer? never take it out in case someone sees it and targets you? that could work.
__________________
F30 320d sport auto 18" alpine white
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
ThreeThirtyFiveI
Lieutenant
United_States
29

 
ThreeThirtyFiveI's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' Estoril II Blue 335i F30XM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elmira, New York


Posts: 404
iTrader: (7)

That's why I have insurance.
__________________
Retired: 99' E46 323i AW / 06' E90 330i SG / 09'LCI E90 335i MB
Driving: 13' F30 / 335i / Msport /// xDrive / Estoril Blue II / Black / HexEstoril / ZMT / ZCW-ZDA-ZDH-ZPP-ZTP-337-688 /
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #33
Jogabs77
New Member
2

 
Drives: 2or4
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonic View Post
Err... So it's laughable to want to protect your own property?

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to take an additional precaution. I'd personally rather not have my car stolen or at best make it harder for the scum to get away with my belongings thanks.

By your logic, I presume you don't have a house alarm or bother to lock your doors when you go out as, "if a thief wants something, he'll find a way of getting it anyway"?

Seeing as most the thefts involve someone reaching into the blind spot to connect the OBD adaptor (so as not to trigger the car alarm), I actually think a metal plate or lock across the port slot could be quite successful.
yes I do have a house alarm and lock my doors, to do otherwise would just be stupid. Similar to locking my car and leaving valuables out of sight when it's unattended. However I'm not about to start fixing crude metal plates to my shiny new 32k car, on the slight chance that theives will target my car.

Take all the extra precautions you like, but I kind of like the fact that when I get in to my car I can just press the start button and go. Not get in, remove several locks, put them somewhere they won't rattle during the journey or so the passenger doesn't need to carry them, then think about driving.

do you carry a gun too? in case you get car jacked. that happens too.
An adapter lock would not deter you from getting in your car, pressing start and getting to where you need to go quickly. An engineer or even a bright person like yourself can design an adapter to locking to cover the port. You laugh at the ideas people come up with but you won't be laughing when your BMW is gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #34
rt10415
Private
United Kingdom
2

 
rt10415's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 320d sport auto 18"
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Glasgow


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogabs77 View Post
An adapter lock would not deter you from getting in your car, pressing start and getting to where you need to go quickly. An engineer or even a bright person like yourself can design an adapter to locking to cover the port. You laugh at the ideas people come up with but you won't be laughing when your BMW is gone.
I was referring to a steering wheel/ignition lock being removed before starting your journey. There isn't one available on the market which can't be overcome in seconds, fact!

As for my BMW being gone, I'll make sure I post on here when it happens. Then I'll keep you updated on the arrival of my new one from the leasing company.

Maybe it's me but I didn't see the security engineer add on pack being offered in the dealership when I ordered the car. How much would that be then?

__________________
F30 320d sport auto 18" alpine white
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #35
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
52

 
svache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii


Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415 View Post
absolutely agree, however, do you always park next to other lesser equiped BMW's? no probably not.

If they are using this method for overcoming the security of the car then they will have been watching you or targeting you because they want your particular model, so they will still want your car and as I've said before they will get it if they want it.

most car thefts (in the UK at least), other than boy racers wanting a chase, are stolen to order. so what's the answer? never take it out in case someone sees it and targets you? that could work.
Oh, I know how the process goes, no worries.. I didn't always live in Hawaii

And true, if they really want it, they will take it. If they cannot do it one way, it will be done another way. In the end, I agree that nothing will be ever safe enough not to have it stolen. But, still, fact is that thieves do not like delays. The more you can delay them, the more chance you get that they will leave without actually taking the car home. If you delay them, there will be more chances that they will be scared off because someone noticed them one way or another, especially if you live in denser urban areas.

It actually happened once to a car of myself. I got outside and noticed someone broke into my car back then. However, because they apparently did not have enough time, and probably got scared off by something/someone (this is from what I could see), they left without even taking anything out of the car (and there were valuables in the car at that time), let alone with the car.

Again, I do agree that if they want it, they probably will take it. But give them a bigger delay than they expect (after all, they will not expect a metal cover with lock over the port) and they might get a delay long enough that they will be gone that one time. Or they might try to get rid of the cover and accidentally set off the alarm and still go away. Sure, they might come back, also true, but then you will be warned as well and may take other precautions
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #36
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
20

 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 693
iTrader: (0)

I'd be more in favor of replacing the original OBD connector with something different, say a Molex connector or similar. Then it's not just a matter of removing a covering plate to steal the car, the thief would need to reconfigure the reader plug to match.

You'd need to keep the original OBD socket suitably modified with the complementary male Molex side so that you could make the port accessible when it's time for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #37
ikonic
Private First Class
9

 
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogabs77 View Post
An adapter lock would not deter you from getting in your car, pressing start and getting to where you need to go quickly. An engineer or even a bright person like yourself can design an adapter to locking to cover the port. You laugh at the ideas people come up with but you won't be laughing when your BMW is gone.
I was referring to a steering wheel/ignition lock being removed before starting your journey. There isn't one available on the market which can't be overcome in seconds, fact!

As for my BMW being gone, I'll make sure I post on here when it happens. Then I'll keep you updated on the arrival of my new one from the leasing company.

Maybe it's me but I didn't see the security engineer add on pack being offered in the dealership when I ordered the car. How much would that be then?

As far as I'm aware the silver disklok (not the yellow one which is useless) actually has quite good press and hasn't been able to be removed unless they've taken the whole steering wheel with it. Those shown on the net have actually occurred because they've used the wrong size disklok (ie. too big) for the wheel - however I agree that they are a pain to use and I wouldn't bother with them myself.

However, the purpose of the thread was mainly to simply discuss whether this is even an issue that affects the F30, and if so, what simple precautions could be taken. There may be an additional procedure in the F30 that means it isn't even fallible to this method which youtube has shown can be done in 2 minutes; hence this whole topic is irrelevant.

Something simple like a port lock or even a dummy OBD could potentially prevent a stolen car isn't a massive challenge to a new car as you say.

The majority of thefts have actually come in London (on street parking as very few have driveways in the capital) so potentially there may well be a BMW literally next to you or around the corner, so there is every chance that if the thief finds your car problematic, they may well just move to the next vehicle.

If you can do anything that could delay/hamper the thief you could have a chance to prevent a potential theft. We know they've been accessing the OBD ports from a "blindspot" in the alarm sensors, so any additional barrier for them could cause more movement and thus trigger the alarm.

And whilst I'm delighted that your leasing company will simply provide you a new car in the event that it gets stolen, for many others, this might not be the case and i know i'd much rather deal without the stress of calling insurance companies and worrying about losing my NCB.

Last edited by ikonic; 07-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #38
kilmoremick
New Member
0

 
Drives: bmw 3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK


Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I have a similar product called the AutoLock.
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-The-UN.../dp/B0007ZFTHW

It is pretty much impossible to steal your car unless you have a plasma torch or diamond cutter.
READ THIS
http://www.amazon.com/review/R30TMBD...R30TMBDEYZ6TLZ
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #39
Number
60

 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚


Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmoremick View Post
Welp, I guess nothing's full proof.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #40
NISFAN
Brigadier General
England
68

 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK


Posts: 4,125
iTrader: (0)

Any update on this? Now that there are more F cars around.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
fshubert
First Lieutenant
4

 
fshubert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northwest NJ


Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

If someone wants to steal the car, they will find a way. I guess that's what insurance is for. I'll just get a new one. A bit inconvenient to have it happen, but it's replacable.
__________________
2013 F30 335i | Sportline | Imperial Blue Metallic | Black Dakota | 6-speed | HK | Cold | Premium | 19" Staggered Sports | M-Performance Exhaust
Previous loves:
2009 E90 335i
2007 E90 328xi
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST