F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > HUD opinions
GTB Performance

10-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #23
hans007
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue

seemed pretty cool on my test drive.

but i am not getting it as i didnt want to get navigation. i could see it being very useful for song names, etc, but it effectively was a $3100 option as the nav wasn't something i'd use too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #24
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

+1

As a consumer I chose to spend my $3000 on other options like port installed M-Performance brakes (which admittedly are only marginally superior to the M-Sport brakes, but look quite nice).

Also, I've read some complaints about the BMW nav. I use Waze and think it's enough.

But, to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
I agree with a lot of the comments-it is difficult to drive without HUD once you are used to it. It really has changed the way I drive. I never realized how distracted I was, constantly looking down to change the radio, check my speed, set cruise control, look at nav directions, etc. The HUD allows you to do all these things while keeping your eyes on the road.

Of course I can drive a car without HUD, but I do not like it. For me, I would pay double the cost to get the HUD, it has become that important to me and the way I drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
One needs to understand about the HUD. Yes, it relays information to the driver, but not at the expense of distraction. So in it's minimum state, it constantly displays digital speed only. If you have navigation option & activate it, then that comes up as well.

Otherwise, in my M-Sport with pro nav, I can music on my right side knurled knob & change stations with it. The HUD displays it for a few seconds. Similarly with BT phone setup. The Mode button selects between the 2.

Other useful bits of info come up on the HUD from time to time - not randomly, it's operationally based. I would like to see more, but since I've had my car for 3 days, I'm still discovering it. Maybe it will throw up a warning if say oil is low or if tyre pressure is low. Not sure, but it would be good if it did.

What it has displayed over the past few days is great. Phone details, radio, multimedia.

Is it worth it? Yes. I like it and when I set my first navigation route, it will come into its own. Looking forward to discovering more displays.
In addition to the above, it also shows cruise control info, and vehicle alerts. Alerts I've seen are: low outside temperature, door open, low fuel, and speed warning. I'm sure there were others, I just don't remember them. Each alert is also shown on the dash cluster and there is the audible warning too.
Appreciate 0