F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2013 BMW F31 Touring vs Audi A4 Avant Photo Comparo

07-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #67
Micleg
F31 320d msport w/HUD

Drives: 320d F31 m, 520d F11 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Is that photoshopped? How did you configure an M Sport with the brushed aluminum trim, red highlight and no M footrest?
A sport line with the M sport wheel? Can't you order that? I can in Sweden.
Micleg is offline   Sweden
      07-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #68
Micleg
F31 320d msport w/HUD

Drives: 320d F31 m, 520d F11 m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
Just for the record we're comparing a 2013 F31 to a 2008 B8, I have a B8 and I like the facelift but I'm tired of the lines and I think they're dated compared to the F31, but let me tell you the interior of the B8 and MMI functionality is superior to the F31.
Is the screen of the A4 really as clear as the F31 screens (both the cheap one and the wide screen version)? At least I found it to be much harder to read when I sat in an A4. The A6 screen is much better than the one in the smaller sibling.

Still, the A4 is better inside than the A6 but I think they are both sub par to the F31. On the other side, soon there should be a completely new A4 out there, shouldn't it? I mean, this is the second facelift of it, isn't it?
Micleg is offline   Sweden
      07-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #69
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant

Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
A sport line with the M sport wheel? Can't you order that? I can in Sweden.
Not in the U.S.
AWF30MSPORT is offline   United_States
      07-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #70
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///

Drives: 2014 M5 Individual

I think the issue with the shape of the F31 is that it's hood is too low and the windshield is too steep. If the front end profile looked more like the F10 it would be cleaner.

That said it still looks better than the Audi. The Audi side profile looks like a Jetta wagon.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
stealth.pilot is online now   United Kingdom
      07-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #71
BeeMdblU
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F30 328 XDS, CLK55, F25 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
Is the screen of the A4 really as clear as the F31 screens (both the cheap one and the wide screen version)? At least I found it to be much harder to read when I sat in an A4. The A6 screen is much better than the one in the smaller sibling.

Still, the A4 is better inside than the A6 but I think they are both sub par to the F31. On the other side, soon there should be a completely new A4 out there, shouldn't it? I mean, this is the second facelift of it, isn't it?
the screen with the nav package is superior to the one without
      07-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #72
Sedoy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E53 X5

Is there a reason why BMW still uses this ugly rear window break like, while Audi uses much better looking/more modern small "triangle" at the bottom of the window?

07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #73
tbensous
Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
Is there a reason why BMW still uses this ugly rear window break like, while Audi uses much better looking/more modern small "triangle" at the bottom of the window?

The reason is probably the much bigger (longer door) + bigger (taller) window, that gives better back seat access... In order for the window to go down, the triangle needs to be bigger... Look at the difference of shape of the door... you will understand...
      07-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #74
Digtlartst
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E90x 6MT Alpinweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbensous View Post
The reason is probably the much bigger (longer door) + bigger (taller) window, that gives better back seat access... In order for the window to go down, the triangle needs to be bigger... Look at the difference of shape of the door... you will understand...
The "triangle" is even bigger on the F30 sedan's rear door, which also looks longer than the wagon's (but not as square at top). It doesn't bother me. The door would have to be totally reshaped to accommodate lowering a full glass pane all the way -- which does on my E91.

Also I haven't liked the high belt line of the VW/Audis of recent years. Even at 6 ft tall I sit in an Audi driver seat and when resting my elbow on the window sill it's almost higher than my shoulder. Like sitting in a bathtub.

I don't like the gimmicky Christmas light led strings on the Audi's headlights, but I'm glad BMW/Audi haven't gone to the trendy "white/clear" rear taillight lenses like Lexus and others. Lexus rear looks like a blind gopher with cataracts.

Last edited by Digtlartst; 07-23-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Digtlartst is offline   United_States
      07-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #75
a_k
Private First Class

Drives: F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I think the issue with the shape of the F31 is that it's hood is too low and the windshield is too steep.
That was what I tried to say as well, but did not find correct words.
      07-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #76
rconti
Lieutenant

Drives: Z3 M Coupe, NB Miata

I thought it was funny that someone criticized the BMW for having windows that were "too large". Personally, I think we need LESS slab-sided look and more glass.

I sat in a new TT at the auto show, and had to duck my head to see out the side window.. and I'm 5'11". Enjoy the gun slit windows if that's your thing!
      10-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #77
Deliya
Registered

Drives: Citroen DS5

I was looking at new 3 Touring and it really looked familiar to me. Then I remembered why. Exactly 20 years later 5 became 3 and stayed the same? Even that ugly rear window break stayed the same.
I really think that A4 is much better looking car, more fluid, although I am not too sure about the interior.
Attached Images