F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires > Best Run Flat Tires?
TAG Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Best Run Flat Tires?

Which are the best run flats on the market to get? I want something that can handle will, pretty much performance tires, also last too. I know people are ditching run flats but, I just hate the thought of having a blown tire or something a far distance from home and not having a spare. I dont want to take up my trunk carrying a full size around either.
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,679
iTrader: (0)

IMO there are no 'best'RFTs yet. My current S001 19"Potenzas staggered(style 401) are sporty and precise but also NOISY and harsh.

I just ordered a style 398 18 inch RFT Continental winterset with the 225 square setup at my dealer.

But next spring I'm going to get rid of the Potenzas S001 rightaway and order NON RFT 19"Michelin Supersport summertyres in the same 225f 255r size. The NON RFT set comes with a spraycontainer to 'repair' punctures so you don't need a spare tyre.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,982
iTrader: (3)

the stock ones are pretyy legit too...P7
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
IMO there are no 'best'RFTs yet. My current S001 19"Potenzas staggered(style 401) are sporty and precise but also NOISY and harsh.

I just ordered a style 398 18 inch RFT Continental winterset with the 225 square setup at my dealer.

But next spring I'm going to get rid of the Potenzas S001 rightaway and order NON RFT 19"Michelin Supersport summertyres in the same 225f 255r size. The NON RFT set comes with a spraycontainer to 'repair' punctures so you don't need a spare tyre.

Cheers
Robin
well the spray container work on all non RFT?

Basically I plan on getting rims in the near future (i get hook up on BBS replicas) planning on going 19" rims staggered. My concerns are flats and no spare tires.
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
the stock ones are pretyy legit too...P7
are those the ones that come on the 335 sport line. Are they all season or preformance? Who the maker?
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,982
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
are those the ones that come on the 335 sport line. Are they all season or preformance? Who the maker?
It's Pirelli
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
It's Pirelli
o ok thanks.
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,679
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
well the spray container work on all non RFT?

Basically I plan on getting rims in the near future (i get hook up on BBS replicas) planning on going 19" rims staggered. My concerns are flats and no spare tires.
According to my dealer it will work on any non RFT modern tyre so get rid of the RFTs asap.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
According to my dealer it will work on any non RFT modern tyre so get rid of the RFTs asap.

Cheers
Robin
is this can part of that bmw tire kit with the compressor to pump air into the tires?

If so, the purpose of that kit is for non RFT or for RFTs.
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 856
iTrader: (2)

The bmw kit I have has a separate sealer and compressor. It's not a spray can which seals and inflates in one. The principle is the same, seal the puncture with slime and inflate the tire. I've never needed to use the sealant, but the compressor has come in handy.
I think runflats have their place. If the car is used by your wife to cart your kids around, then runflats make a lot of sense. Otherwise, max performance non runflats and a repair kit
__________________
------------------------------
2012 F30 335i Sapphire Black Sport Line | ///M Performance Exhaust | ///M Performance Suspension | ///M Sport Front Bumper | ///M Sport 403M Wheels
2006 E92 325i Titan Silver
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
The bmw kit I have has a separate sealer and compressor. It's not a spray can which seals and inflates in one. The principle is the same, seal the puncture with slime and inflate the tire. I've never needed to use the sealant, but the compressor has come in handy.
I think runflats have their place. If the car is used by your wife to cart your kids around, then runflats make a lot of sense. Otherwise, max performance non runflats and a repair kit
Im not married no kids... 23... just worried incase my mom drives it. Me alone = byebye rft.
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST