F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW V3 and V2 Coilovers for F30 3 Series and F20/F21 1 Series Released
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
captain sour
Private
6

 
captain sour's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' 328i E92
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: san antonio tx


Posts: 69
iTrader: (0)

That hatch.......

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
itrocks4u
Captain
49

 
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Toronto


Posts: 886
iTrader: (2)

Why would you want to change BMW suspension to KW on a brand new car?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Tag
Colonel
United_States
190

 
Tag's Avatar
 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHICAGO


Posts: 2,621
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Why would you want to change BMW suspension to KW on a brand new car?
because stock sucks
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
F30 Pilot
Private
6

 
F30 Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: AZ


Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

I'm interested in pricing and date they will be available at dealers.
__________________
2013 AW 328i: Sport Line, Sport Trans, Moon roof, Navigation, HK Stereo with Sat Radio, Xenons and 351m wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #27
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
8

 
Terpinator's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Hague


Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

i'm also interested to know what brand/style wheels they used. very nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #28
F555
Captain
Indonesia
14

 
F555's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 - 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indonesia


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

I'm still gonna wait for DDC.
any chances they going to make it compatible with the on board BMW EDC ??
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
GTR-Dad
Driver
Canada
7

 
GTR-Dad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M5 - DCT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beaumont, AB


Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Why would you want to change BMW suspension to KW on a brand new car?
My 2009 335 was soft and 'wallowy' at anything beyond about 7/10ths cornering. To me, it was a safety issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
Rich@GTBPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
414


 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC


Posts: 4,350
iTrader: (20)

We're excited about this launch! Now our F30 customers are going to be able to enjoy the road, just as much as our E9X customers are!

Completely Full of Win!
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Rich@GTBPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
414


 
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ, Right outside of NYC


Posts: 4,350
iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Why would you want to change BMW suspension to KW on a brand new car?
The base suspension setup can be very soft for some people. Some people don't want to fork over the bills for the Sport/M-Sport and would rather buy coilovers
__________________

Your Home For Premium BMW Aftermarket Parts
www.gtbperformance.com | sales@gtbperformance.com | Facebook | 973 429 2839
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #32
Alpine F31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
33

 
Alpine F31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA


Posts: 1,810
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavehm View Post
Gawd, so incredibly gorgeous from the side and back, until you see the front end. The front just kills it, who ever was in charge of designing the f30 and or e90 front end should be flogged.
YOU should be flogged! The front end is the best and most distinctive part of the F30 design!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
33

 
tiltmode43's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal


Posts: 591
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
Wow, it's amazing how quickly the manufacturers come out with these products to be first out in the market...

But, and I hate to be the downer here...it makes you think how much time/quality goes into making these things and the R&D done to ensure they perform better, provide better handling and control and better quality....and all in the short months the vehicle has been out.

Hmmmmm....
I understand your sentiment and generally agree but keep in mind, the F30 has been available for around 6 months at this point, a good chunk of time.

KW has been doing suspension for years and when it comes to a coilover with adjustable damping, all they really need to do is study the suspension type, look at the balance and dynamics of the vehicle, make an educated guess on spring rates, & test. A brand new company creating a brand new product would be a different story but KW, who has been doing this for 17 years now, know what they're doing.

On a side note, other chassis with larger aftermarkets get parts much faster. Within the first six months, multiple suspension components from many manufacturers (coilovers, sways, strut bars, chassis braces, etc.), aero options (bumpers, lips, fenders, etc.), exhaust systems, etc. are available. That said, I am happy to wait for some quality parts, such as these KW's
__________________
-Matt

@violetnites
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #34
devitocoke
Bimmer Freak
United_States
11

 
devitocoke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida


Posts: 125
iTrader: (1)

oh baby!!! I really like it. What does it look like on a 335i with M sport body kit?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #35
rxander
Lieutenant
10

 
rxander's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego


Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

pricing?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #36
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
27

 
RollingLower42's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335I
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 535
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
It completely eliminates the electronic adjustment and replaces it with the ability to manually adjust the dampers using the knobs you see pictured.
^^^ I had a question. I am interested on getting KW V1's since I am going to be primarily on street and want something simple...

I noticed that all of there coilovers come with and without EDC. The price is also affected by a couple hundred dollars..

I was looking for clarification...If you were to get C/O's without EDC does that mean the suspension options on the car are affected??

My current ride, 2012 F30 335I, I have a button next to the gears that changes suspension modes:

Eco Mode (Hardly ever use)
Comfort mode (hardly ever use unless I am going over speed bumps where I live)
Sport mode (Mode I am always in, more or less because of the extra Power)

I noticed that the comfort mode is a smoother ride than sport, but the extra boost of power is gone from sport mode (wish I could still have the engine power with the softer susp)

Anyways, KW's come with and without EDC, correct? So If I were to buy KW v1's without EDC, then I would no longer have the option of changing between Eco/ Comfort/ and sport? And then if that was the case and it was deleted, what mode would the car always be on? Would I still be able to change and get more power like before?

And if I bought KW V1's with EDC then I still would be able to change between modes and not lose any power?

I am confused, please someone clarify, or like the above poster said, it deletes the modes and is replaced by the digital screen where you can change it to your own settings?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #37
Number
60

 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚


Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingHard28 View Post
^^^ I had a question. I am interested on getting KW V1's since I am going to be primarily on street and want something simple...

I noticed that all of there coilovers come with and without EDC. The price is also affected by a couple hundred dollars..

I was looking for clarification...If you were to get C/O's without EDC does that mean the suspension options on the car are affected??

My current ride, 2012 F30 335I, I have a button next to the gears that changes suspension modes:

Eco Mode (Hardly ever use)
Comfort mode (hardly ever use unless I am going over speed bumps where I live)
Sport mode (Mode I am always in, more or less because of the extra Power)

I noticed that the comfort mode is a smoother ride than sport, but the extra boost of power is gone from sport mode (wish I could still have the engine power with the softer susp)

Anyways, KW's come with and without EDC, correct? So If I were to buy KW v1's without EDC, then I would no longer have the option of changing between Eco/ Comfort/ and sport? And then if that was the case and it was deleted, what mode would the car always be on? Would I still be able to change and get more power like before?

And if I bought KW V1's with EDC then I still would be able to change between modes and not lose any power?

I am confused, please someone clarify, or like the above poster said, it deletes the modes and is replaced by the digital screen where you can change it to your own settings?
I'll try to help. There are a lot of things wrong in your post.

There is no KW Variant 1 available for the F30.

EDC is the Electronic Damping Control. EDC is relabeled as the M-Adaptive Suspension on the F30. It is different from the 3 Modes: Eco, Comfort, Sport. The Modes adjust trottle response, steering stiffness, etc. The EDC adjust your damping. EDC by default adjusts with the different Modes, but you can customize it through iDrive (I think).

With the KW V2, your damping will be adjustable manually on the top of the strut. V3 will have the rebound adjust at the bottom of the strut along with the damping adjustment at the top.

If your F30 has EDC and you wish to get the KW v2 or v3, you need to get the EDC option. It comes with a module to delete the stock Electronic Damper Control without throwing a code. That's why it's a couple hundred more. You "can" get the coilovers without the EDC delete module, but you'll probably get errors on iDrive.

PLEASE NOTE... I do not have a EDC F30. I might be wrong with some facts that I posted, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

One last note. I wish I could return my KWs and get some CKS coilovers instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #38
RollingLower42
Lieutenant
27

 
RollingLower42's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335I
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 535
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
I'll try to help. There are a lot of things wrong in your post.

There is no KW Variant 1 available for the F30.

EDC is the Electronic Damping Control. EDC is relabeled as the M-Adaptive Suspension on the F30. It is different from the 3 Modes: Eco, Comfort, Sport. The Modes adjust trottle response, steering stiffness, etc. The EDC adjust your damping. EDC by default adjusts with the different Modes, but you can customize it through iDrive (I think).

With the KW V2, your damping will be adjustable manually on the top of the strut. V3 will have the rebound adjust at the bottom of the strut along with the damping adjustment at the top.

If your F30 has EDC and you wish to get the KW v2 or v3, you need to get the EDC option. It comes with a module to delete the stock Electronic Damper Control without throwing a code. That's why it's a couple hundred more. You "can" get the coilovers without the EDC delete module, but you'll probably get errors on iDrive.

PLEASE NOTE... I do not have a EDC F30. I might be wrong with some facts that I posted, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

One last note. I wish I could return my KWs and get some CKS coilovers instead.
Thanks for the info.. ^^^ also, why would you like the CKS over the KW's?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #39
Number
60

 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚


Posts: 1,233
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingHard28 View Post
Thanks for the info.. ^^^ also, why would you like the CKS over the KW's?
I should take that statement back. I said it out of frustration. I haven't tried the CKS coilovers... my discontentment only arises out of my experience with KW so far. I did seriously consider the CKS over the KWs. The KWs won out due to their reputation and being an older company.

CKS and other coilover systems like BC use the threaded body struts (fronts only). This method in theory will give a more comfortable ride at any height since the full travel of the strut is retained. KW uses the perch to adjust height. So the lower you go, the less travel room you have in the strut... eventually getting to the point of riding on the bump stops and bottoming out the strut. Now, there comes a point where having full travel of the shock presents it's own problems for the CKS... Like if you're slammed to the ground, you can essentially have the wheel hit the top of your wheel well.... this is all in theory.

The rear coilovers for the KWs is extremely flawed. I called out the KW tech on the phone about it's design flaw. He replied that that's how they've always done them. When I told him that simply putting slots on the black part of the coilover so a 2nd spanner wrench could be used to resist spinning, he just shrugged it off over the phone. And confirmed that they meant for you to unbolt the control arm and strut and pull out the spring every time you wanted to adjust the height of the rear coilover. This is utterly stupid imo. The other thing about the rears that annoyed me was that the V2 struts are painted black. They are not the stainless steel like the V3s in the press release photos. While this is not utterly stupid, it is disappointing since the V2s for the E90 were stainless.

Despite the lame answer that the tech gave to me on the phone, they do seem like they want to "eventually" make me happy. I just have to take measurements of my car, take some photos, get the part number stamped on the springs, measure the perch height (which is maxed out)... then they'll see what they can do to "fix" the problem for me. I already know the solution. Just send me springs that are 1.5" taller on all 4 corners. That'll give me room to set the perches in the middle somewhere. But they can't do that. They need those measurements and pictures first. Unfortunately, I can't do all that till next weekend.

Here's some good news at least. I started adjusting the damping settings on the front since it's so easy to do. They make a huge difference. I am currently riding 2 clicks from stiffest. And it feels very very confident.

So long story short... the KWs are good. They just need taller springs for the F30.

Last edited by Number; 09-12-2012 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #40
Rodrigo18
New Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: F-30.....
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NOVA


Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 F30  [0.00]
Price and Link were to get them?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
bavarianx
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
200


 
bavarianx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 X5 4.4i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Orange County, CA


Posts: 2,027
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to bavarianx
Please don't let the canceller kit be like the F10...please.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #42
F555
Captain
Indonesia
14

 
F555's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 - 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indonesia


Posts: 639
iTrader: (0)

I just ordered my self a KW DDC for F30. comes compatible with on board BMW EDC.
so just plug in & play as inform from my local shop, & no recoding are needed, dunno if this is true.
my question is: Can u still add Wifi Module for iphone if u want the factory edc button to work as well. so both factory EDC & iphone to work together.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:14 PM   #43
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
2

 
soolman32's Avatar
 
Drives: Current: G37 / Soon: F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US


Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
"* KW DDC coilovers are in preperations."

This is a must in my book
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #44
EB_F30
Second Lieutenant
12

 
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Italy


Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F555 View Post
I just ordered my self a KW DDC for F30. comes compatible with on board BMW EDC.
so just plug in & play as inform from my local shop, & no recoding are needed, dunno if this is true.
my question is: Can u still add Wifi Module for iphone if u want the factory edc button to work as well. so both factory EDC & iphone to work together.

Any reviews how the system is working? Was curious how well it worked with the iPhone and your thoughts on how the car handled after the install?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, 3-series forum, add new tag, bmw 3 series f30, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 3-series forum, bmw f30, bmw f30 3 series, bmw f30 3 series kw, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, bmw f30 kw, bmw f30 kw coilovers, bmw f30 suspension, f20 kw, f20 kw coilovers, f20 kw v2, f20 kw v3, f30 3 series, f30 3 series forum, f30 3 series kw, f30 3 series kw coilovers, f30 3 series suspension, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 aftermarket suspension, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 kw coilovers, f30 kw v2, f30 kw v3, f30 suspension, f32 aftermarket suspension, f32 coilovers, f32 kw coilovers, f32 kw v3, f32 kw v3 coilovers, f32 suspension, kw coilovers bmw f30, kw coilovers f20, kw coilovers f30, kw coilovers f30 3 series, kw f20, kw v2 f30, kw v3 f30, suspension

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST