F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Where is the Canadian F30 made (manufacture)? Germany or South Africa
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
My2ndBMW
Private
Canada
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 AW/SO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Where is the Canadian F30 made (manufacture)? Germany or South Africa

I am thinking about placing an order for 2013 328ix or 335ix M Sport. I havenít decided on fuel economy (328) VS power/look of M Sport (335).

I wanted to know from those people who has taken a delivery of F30 (328ix or 335ix), were they Made (manufacture) in Germany or South Africa?

All the cars that I have owned from Mercedes and BMW were made in Germany and I want my German car to be made/manufacture/assemble in Germany.

This is not about which country manufactured better car and purely a personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Maz335i's Avatar
Canada
55
Rep
3,223
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Germany
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
My2ndBMW
Private
Canada
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 AW/SO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Maz for the info.

53 have viewed this thread but only 1 response. Interesting, I didnít realize it was this difficult to gather the simple information like this.

BTW, the only reason I posted under the Canadian Regional forum is that I was mainly interested from Canadian owner, since I will be buying from Canadian Dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
9
Rep
436
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER

iTrader: (0)

Germany.......not difficult,I just thought you had an answer already.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
My2ndBMW
Private
Canada
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 AW/SO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Germany.......not difficult,I just thought you had an answer already.
Thanks for the info SPACEMANRICK.

If I remembered correctly from other thread, you are getting 335XI right?

Is your car coming from Germany because you have ordered them?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
9
Rep
436
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER

iTrader: (0)

Yes I am getting a 335xdrive, I am actually picking it up later today

I checked my VIN and confirmed that my car is coming from Germany. I am not sure though that it is coming from Germany because I ordered it...I may be wrong, but I thought all the 335 models were made in Germany. Do you think there is a difference in quality if your car will be built in South Africa?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
My2ndBMW
Private
Canada
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 AW/SO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Congrat on your new car pickup. Make sure to post some pictures.

Itís not about build quality between Germany and South Africa. At least when it comes to some Mercedes model that I know.

I can accept the South African made BMW if all Canadian F30 is coming from that country.

I am just little worry when the time comes to trade-in, if I buy a F30 thatís made in South Africa.

If I were the potential buyer of used BMW and given a choice between German VS South Africa made BMW, I would think Made in Germany would be more preferred, at least I would.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Sauveur
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi |2013
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Canadian. Made in germany
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
WhiteCollar
Private
WhiteCollar's Avatar
0
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Waterloo, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Canada gets these cars from Germany only. At least that's what my dealership told me. I couldn't find any BMW in their showroom made anywhere else.

I can attest to this as my car comes straight from Bimmer Heaven. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollar View Post
Canada gets these cars from Germany only. At least that's what my dealership told me. I couldn't find any BMW in their showroom made anywhere else.

I can attest to this as my car comes straight from Bimmer Heaven. Can't wait!
Just remember the X3, X5 and X6 are made in USA...I think the X1 is Germany..can't remember... You can also use your VIN to track where it was built (i.e. Germany or USA) and which factory etc. In germany plants/factories are in different cities.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #11
WhiteCollar
Private
WhiteCollar's Avatar
0
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Waterloo, ON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Just remember the X3, X5 and X6 are made in USA...I think the X1 is Germany..can't remember... You can also use your VIN to track where it was built (i.e. Germany or USA) and which factory etc. In germany plants/factories are in different cities.
You may be right. I was only interested in the 3 series so I didn't check anything else out.

Suffice to say that the F30 comes from Germany for us Canadians.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCollar View Post
You may be right. I was only interested in the 3 series so I didn't check anything else out.

Suffice to say that the F30 comes from Germany for us Canadians.
Agreed...the only time I ever saw South African 3-series for sale was in the USA..and interestingly enough the discount was bigger on them (expected.)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
My2ndBMW
Private
Canada
1
Rep
51
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3 AW/SO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone for the information.

If this is true then it’s a good thing.

At least Canadian do pay more than US counterpart for similarity optioned car, I think Canadian do deserve the German build (assembled?) car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
wayman519
Private First Class
No_Country
9
Rep
184
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Honestly there is a quality difference getting a car from South Africa. Lots of Australians have been having problems with their F30s and they all came from South Africa. Their main problem at least for the F30 is installing rusted parts. Hopefully that is resolved. I think Canadians get the BMW's made in Germany. For the ultimate BMW you want one built in Munich. But its all luck of the draw.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
Honestly there is a quality difference getting a car from South Africa. Lots of Australians have been having problems with their F30s and they all came from South Africa. Their main problem at least for the F30 is installing rusted parts. Hopefully that is resolved. I think Canadians get the BMW's made in Germany. For the ultimate BMW you want one built in Munich. But its all luck of the draw.
Any F30 I have seen in Canada is made in Germany (though I've seen about 5 of them only.) VIN's always starting with W.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #16
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Any F30 I have seen in Canada is made in Germany (though I've seen about 5 of them only.) VIN's always starting with W.
I think all BMWs (non-X SAVs) will start with W. You need to check the 11th digit for the assembly country.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I think all BMWs (non-X SAVs) will start with W. You need to check the 11th digit for the assembly country.
Yes. GP.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #18
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

11th digit: (and I completely forgot about this, so now I cannot say the BMWs I've seen were made in Germany)

A, F, G, K - Munich (GER)
B, C, D - Dingolfing (GER)
E, J - Regensberg (GER)
L - Spartanburg (USA)
N - Rosslyn (RSA)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
jtuds
Major
Canada
28
Rep
1,064
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1.5-2 hrs west of Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2ndBMW View Post
Thanks Maz for the info.

53 have viewed this thread but only 1 response. Interesting, I didnít realize it was this difficult to gather the simple information like this.

BTW, the only reason I posted under the Canadian Regional forum is that I was mainly interested from Canadian owner, since I will be buying from Canadian Dealer.
Canadian owners and Canadian dealers get German-made BMWs except for one model, not sure which, but I think one of the SUVs is made in the USA...North Carolina maybe...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
25
Rep
1,910
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Canadian owners and Canadian dealers get German-made BMWs except for one model, not sure which, but I think one of the SUVs is made in the USA...North Carolina maybe...
X3, X5, X6 are manufactured in Spartanburg, South Carolina for the ENTIRE WORLD.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
25
Rep
1,910
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
Honestly there is a quality difference getting a car from South Africa. Lots of Australians have been having problems with their F30s and they all came from South Africa. Their main problem at least for the F30 is installing rusted parts. Hopefully that is resolved. I think Canadians get the BMW's made in Germany. For the ultimate BMW you want one built in Munich. But its all luck of the draw.
I would really like to see the backup for this statement. Rusted parts?

BMW SA factory builds quality cars and BMW monitors the OEMs and material suppliers like a hawk. Probably more so outside of Germany. There is a human element in auto assembly. Mistakes/errors are made in every factory on every continent.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
25
Rep
1,910
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2ndBMW View Post
I am thinking about placing an order for 2013 328ix or 335ix M Sport. I haven’t decided on fuel economy (328) VS power/look of M Sport (335).

I wanted to know from those people who has taken a delivery of F30 (328ix or 335ix), were they Made (manufacture) in Germany or South Africa?

All the cars that I have owned from Mercedes and BMW were made in Germany and I want my German car to be made/manufacture/assemble in Germany.

This is not about which country manufactured better car and purely a personal preference.
Honestly, the only thing you should care about is leadtime for delivery. SA built cars take longer to reach NA. Typically an additional 30 days.

Resale value is unaffected. SA cars are NOT discounted more than German built cars. 95% of buyers could care less where their car was built, nor would they flinch if they learned it was built in SA. They would trust BMW knows what they are doing.

If you disagree, go find yourself an Apple product made outside China. Or for you Canadians, look at how your Blackberry assembly has been outsourced to Mexico.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST