F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Front left suspension noise problem-active steering
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Mav74
Registered
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rome

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Front left suspension noise problem-active steering

Hello,

I am experiencing a noise (toc-toc) on the front left suspension while turning to the right on bumpy roads. BMW mechanic informed me that this is a “characteristic” of the variable sport steering mechanism due to the cogwheel clearances......

It happens only curving to the right on bumpy roads.....


Any impressions/solutions?
Mav74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
fotios335i
Major General
 
fotios335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 BSM F30 sport/msport 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: cape cod MA

Posts: 6,768
iTrader: (61)

I've felt that before. I thought it was the front left shock. I remember thinking to myself all the adjustable electronic suspension stuff will have its issues.
__________________

2012 335i sport to full Msport, M adaptive and vss, sport 8 AT, fully loaded, Black saphire, black dakota leather, mperformance carbon interior with shifter, M performance grills, rear spoiler, front splitter, side sill extensions, MPPK, MPE exhaust, morr alloys vs8.2's with michelin pss, p3 gauge, msport wheel, etc, etc
fotios335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Mav74
Registered
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rome

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately it is the variable sport steering mechanism..nothing to do with shocks..
Mav74 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
fotios335i
Major General
 
fotios335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 BSM F30 sport/msport 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: cape cod MA

Posts: 6,768
iTrader: (61)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav74
Unfortunately it is the variable sport steering mechanism..nothing to do with shocks..
Annoying. Thanks for the info. I think mine has gotten a little worse with oem 20's.
__________________

2012 335i sport to full Msport, M adaptive and vss, sport 8 AT, fully loaded, Black saphire, black dakota leather, mperformance carbon interior with shifter, M performance grills, rear spoiler, front splitter, side sill extensions, MPPK, MPE exhaust, morr alloys vs8.2's with michelin pss, p3 gauge, msport wheel, etc, etc
fotios335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Pip Lee
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Asia

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

I have the same problem. Front right suspension as mine is a right hand drive version. BMW verified problem and appointment has been made to get it fixed. Apparently also happened with the Z4 driven by a friend which BMW managed to fix.
Pip Lee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Pip Lee
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Asia

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Lee View Post
I have the same problem. Front right suspension as mine is a right hand drive version. BMW verified problem and appointment has been made to get it fixed. Apparently also happened with the Z4 driven by a friend which BMW managed to fix.
I sent car in at BMW today. They said 2 other 335 have the same problem. They can't fix it. They said problem has been reported to Germany and they are waiting for advice on the issue. Just have to wait I guess.
Pip Lee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
tmehanna
New Member
 
Drives: 528i f10
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Egypt

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Lee View Post
I sent car in at BMW today. They said 2 other 335 have the same problem. They can't fix it. They said problem has been reported to Germany and they are waiting for advice on the issue. Just have to wait I guess.
For what it's worth I believe I have the same issue too. Feb production 335i with variable sport steering. Not sure if the noise is coming from suspension or steering but it sounds like something is loose down there, front left side. I can only hear it over very sharp bumps, or railroad crossings.
tmehanna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
rosscartlidge
Registered
 
Drives: F30 328i manual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

I have a Right Hand Drive F30 328i March 1st, 2012 production with variable sport steering and I have this problem too. A knocking noise from the from right front suspension especially when turning left over rough roads (Sydney streets :-) )
I will report it to to the dealer and see what they say...
rosscartlidge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #9
atomicS
New Member
 
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sport SMB
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

I have a right hand drive 335 with VSS & active suspension. Lots of sounds over uneven roads. I also have the clunk in the steering. Problem reported to BMW and awaiting their response.
atomicS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
VictorGzz67
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 435mSport + F10 530i 2013
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Monterrey, NL Mexico

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
For what it's worth I believe I have the same issue too. Feb production 335i with variable sport steering. Not sure if the noise is coming from suspension or steering but it sounds like something is loose down there, front left side. I can only hear it over very sharp bumps, or railroad crossings.
Also here on very sharp bumps ''a lot in my city '' F30 335i 2013.

Will drive it soon with the BMW service manager.
VictorGzz67 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Number
 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (1)

I have the same issue! Driver's side front makes a "tock tock" sound that you can feel. Sounds/feels like something is loose in the shock.
Number is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

In my 335i Msport, my steering has developed a light "thunk" when turning left.
I feel it every time in parking lots as I turn the wheel left.
The thunk is in the same spot. Start with hands in normal 10 and 2 position, as I turn left when my right hand gets to around the 10 o'clock position, I feel the thunk.

There is also a thunk when doing the same to the right, but it's still very light and is not there most of the time.
This issue wasn't there when new, and has recently developed after 1800 miles on my 335i.

What I do have from day one, is the "thunk" sound made when my engine is off and I turn the steering wheel lightly left to right. As I do that there is a distinct "thunk/clunk" sound and feel. I reported it to service and they looked at it, and of course they said it was "normal" nothing to worry about.
Since it only happened when the engine is turned off I decided not to push the issue.
I knew something would progress though, and it has.
I'm setting up a service visit for next week.
A "thunk" felt in the steering wheel is NOT normal no matter how they want to say or present it. IT doesn't feel normal at all. It feels like something is broken and a BMW simply shouldn't have steering that feels like this.

Seems the F30 has some little issues with the new steering and suspension setup/parts.
I'm fine with it, as long as BMW fixes it. I just don't want to be told, "It's NORMAL" and then nothing gets done.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Pip Lee
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Asia

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

I had that "thunk" sound when I put car into reverse and brake. Turned out the "thunk" was probably due to suspension mounting not tightened to specified torque. Agent fixed it, no visible damage.
Pip Lee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
Number
 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (1)

Anyone find a resolution to the steering tock tock sound/feel?
Number is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
VictorGzz67
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 435mSport + F10 530i 2013
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Monterrey, NL Mexico

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo View Post
Anyone find a resolution to the steering tock tock sound/feel?
Not yet. Was waiting to test my wife's f30 328 and this one has not the problem.

Went to BMW's service manager and he told me that I have to leave the car with the, for 3 day in order to take pictures, video and fill some kind of paperwork with information on those 3 days (They said that BMW Germany request this) .

I will find the days of when I can survive without my car.


I will post as soon as I have mor info.


Victor
Monterrey, N.L., Mexico.

P.D. I apologize if I do not explain my self as I wish because of my bad english : )
VictorGzz67 is offline   Mexico
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #16
Number
 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorGzz67 View Post
Not yet. Was waiting to test my wife's f30 328 and this one has not the problem.

Went to BMW's service manager and he told me that I have to leave the car with the, for 3 day in order to take pictures, video and fill some kind of paperwork with information on those 3 days (They said that BMW Germany request this) .

I will find the days of when I can survive without my car.


I will post as soon as I have mor info.


Victor
Monterrey, N.L., Mexico.

P.D. I apologize if I do not explain my self as I wish because of my bad english : )
Thanks Victor. Keep us posted.
Number is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-25-2012, 02:56 AM   #17
digitallust
Second Lieutenant
 
digitallust's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 BMW 320d Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscartlidge View Post
I have a Right Hand Drive F30 328i March 1st, 2012 production with variable sport steering and I have this problem too. A knocking noise from the from right front suspension especially when turning left over rough roads (Sydney streets :-) )
I will report it to to the dealer and see what they say...
Hi mate, how did you go with your issue? I have the same issue on my F30 320d Sport with no VSS.. mines due to go in to be looked at in a couple of weeks.
Cheers,
__________________
_________________________________________
320d Sport line, F30
Alpine White,Black Dakota, Coral Red Trim, Brushed Aluminium, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Prof Sat Nav, Bi-Xenon, 18" 397 wheels, Reversing Camera, Side-view, Top View,Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning,Anti Dazzle Folding Mirrors.
digitallust is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
shahramghs
The Mechanic
 
Drives: 2013 F30, 335 MSport, EB
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

I had this issue on my E90 too. This has to do with BMW front suspension mechanism.
__________________
Drive Fast Not Furious
shahramghs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #19
digitallust
Second Lieutenant
 
digitallust's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 BMW 320d Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
I had this issue on my E90 too. This has to do with BMW front suspension mechanism.
Did they end up fixing it? obviously it is fixable if some F30's have the issues, but most dont?!
__________________
_________________________________________
320d Sport line, F30
Alpine White,Black Dakota, Coral Red Trim, Brushed Aluminium, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Prof Sat Nav, Bi-Xenon, 18" 397 wheels, Reversing Camera, Side-view, Top View,Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning,Anti Dazzle Folding Mirrors.
digitallust is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #20
shahramghs
The Mechanic
 
Drives: 2013 F30, 335 MSport, EB
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Did they end up fixing it? obviously it is fixable if some F30's have the issues, but most dont?!
Nope I got an f30 :-) .... Its minimal on f30 but as car wears it can get worse...
__________________
Drive Fast Not Furious
shahramghs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
digitallust
Second Lieutenant
 
digitallust's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 BMW 320d Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kalgoorlie

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahramghs View Post
Nope I got an f30 :-) .... Its minimal on f30 but as car wears it can get worse...
Considering its an all new car from the ground up, i would of though the likely hood of it being a carry over rare and the fact that if it affects only some F30's then it would have to be fixable
__________________
_________________________________________
320d Sport line, F30
Alpine White,Black Dakota, Coral Red Trim, Brushed Aluminium, Sports Suspension, Sports Seats, Anthracite Headliner, Prof Sat Nav, Bi-Xenon, 18" 397 wheels, Reversing Camera, Side-view, Top View,Lane Change Warning, Lane Departure Warning,Anti Dazzle Folding Mirrors.
digitallust is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #22
shahramghs
The Mechanic
 
Drives: 2013 F30, 335 MSport, EB
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 112
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
Considering its an all new car from the ground up, i would of though the likely hood of it being a carry over rare and the fact that if it affects only some F30's then it would have to be fixable
I dont see it as fixable, bu I stay away from the dealer as much as possible. This kinda of issue is a bit subjective. Other tell me i'm very picky and I sense every little issues and noises . It may be that the issue others are referring to are more noticeable than mine, or may be more serious.
__________________
Drive Fast Not Furious
shahramghs is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST