F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > 328i w adaptive on order
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #45
matts325i
1
Private First Class
 
matts325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide

Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Oh i do like the saddle brown!

Hmm... Must resist as i have already stretched the budget. Thats another 1700 largely for the pleasure of the colour. I dont care for the exterior chrome bits but geez that saddle brown is nice.

Yeah I wasn't sure when I ordered it as I've never seen it before, but I like it now. I also optioned a blacked out the headliner trim as well.
matts325i is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #46
CKau
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts325i View Post
Yeah I wasn't sure when I ordered it as I've never seen it before, but I like it now. I also optioned a blacked out the headliner trim as well.
Btw i was re-reading the brochure more closely. It was suggesting that sports+ mode is only available in the Sportsline. Can you check your lux line to see if you have sports+ for me?

I also downloaded the pdf owner's manual (too keen... Sad i know) and it seems that the only mode not configurable is sports+. Is that right?
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
CKau is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #47
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

same situation as yourself. I test drove the 328i and 320d back to back. I ended up getting the 320d. Absolutely no regrets...if only the 328i didnt sound like a diesel on idle, then it would have been the 328i. But I could justify $6k more for what..35 hp more but 30N less torque
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #48
ij05
0
Private
 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
same situation as yourself. I test drove the 328i and 320d back to back. I ended up getting the 320d. Absolutely no regrets...if only the 328i didnt sound like a diesel on idle, then it would have been the 328i. But I could justify $6k more for what..35 hp more but 30N less torque
When first looking at the 3 series I was tossing up between the two as well,
ended up working out by the time I optioned up the 320d to match the 328i it was really on par cost wise, and mostly it came down to what engine you preferred driving. I don't think one is better then the other, and it all comes down to personal preference, and your driving routine, and whether you want any of the below options (which for me all apart from exterior anti dazzle were important)

Sport line on 320d was $3152 + $1000 for 18" inch wheels, 328i was $1538
Exterior anti dazzle mirrors $615 for 320d
Lumbar support $492 for 320d
Navigation (business) $1538 for 320d (and if you upgrade to Pro, they include this cost as well ie cheaper to upgrade to Pro on the 328i)
HiFi loudspeaker system $1000 for 320d
(fyi total of around $6259 in difference).
ij05 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #49
matts325i
1
Private First Class
 
matts325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide

Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)

Hi yep I have sports + ill take a pic for you

edit: here some pics including the extended display which I recommend.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by matts325i; 11-16-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add picture
matts325i is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #50
matts325i
1
Private First Class
 
matts325i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Adelaide

Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R
same situation as yourself. I test drove the 328i and 320d back to back. I ended up getting the 320d. Absolutely no regrets...if only the 328i didnt sound like a diesel on idle, then it would have been the 328i. But I could justify $6k more for what..35 hp more but 30N less torque
I like revvy engines
matts325i is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #51
CKau
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts325i View Post
Hi yep I have sports + ill take a pic for you
Thx. Dilemna averted! Would have hated if it was only available on sportsline as i like the beige interior (my compromise on not getting saddle brown).
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
CKau is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #52
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

IJ05> i hear you. I might add that i have other mod plans in mind hence my decision and no-line (BMW performance suspension 2cm drop vs 1cm for sport line, BMW perf Brakes. and BBS wheels)

BTW pls dont look at BMW Listed RRP to make you decision, at least i never do. Thats how the sales guys discourage you or get you to go one spec up. I paid listed price and got Nav, sunroof, angel eyes, leather all included.. just to show that the list RRP mean absolutely nothing..
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #53
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Rozza... Two other considerations.

1. You will get the sports suspension which has good body control. Refer same thread above.
2. I believe the price gap is smaller since you have sports suspension. I think Its only $1k instead of $1600
Anyone considered M performance suspension?? more bang for buck... 1cm drop on 19inch wheels on sportsline dont look right. M performance suspension i believe are listed at USD1,600 + shipping, and is a slightly lower drop without sacrificing ride comfort. Plus you get nice yellow springs.
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #54
J1n
15
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
same situation as yourself. I test drove the 328i and 320d back to back. I ended up getting the 320d. Absolutely no regrets...if only the 328i didnt sound like a diesel on idle, then it would have been the 328i. But I could justify $6k more for what..35 hp more but 30N less torque
I'm rather confused with the statement.. If you didn't like the sound of the diesel engine then why would you get a diesel? 320i instead?

Its really 6k more for 45kw and 60HP. Dyno tests show 328 at 255 HP got that figure from one of the threads.

320D
Maximum Power (kW / hp / rpm)
135 / 184 / 4,000

328
Maximum Power (kW / hp / rpm)
180 / 245 / 5,000 - 6,500
J1n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #55
J1n
15
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Btw i was re-reading the brochure more closely. It was suggesting that sports+ mode is only available in the Sportsline. Can you check your lux line to see if you have sports+ for me?

I also downloaded the pdf owner's manual (too keen... Sad i know) and it seems that the only mode not configurable is sports+. Is that right?
All Australian models will come with sports automatic transmission.
J1n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #56
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
I'm rather confused with the statement.. If you didn't like the sound of the diesel engine then why would you get a diesel? 320i instead?

Its really 6k more for 45kw and 60HP. Dyno tests show 328 at 255 HP got that figure from one of the threads.

320D
Maximum Power (kW / hp / rpm)
135 / 184 / 4,000

328
Maximum Power (kW / hp / rpm)
180 / 245 / 5,000 - 6,500
Relax, ... and how much Nm am I losing... something like 35Nm for 45kw

(read - i never said I disliked, I said the 328i sounded very much like the 320d)
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #57
CKau
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

matt... Darn you! The extended display does look nice. Why do bmw bother with two versions of dash displays and two centre console displays? They r just making it more expensive for themselves for inventory management and more expensive for us!

The industry is moving towards larger tablet style displays anyway. Golf 7 is a case in point.

In any case, i will pick up the phone and add this to my order! Priorities.... No heated seats but extended display :-p

Also is digital radio worth it? Looking at the station list it seems like a toy just to impress your friends with not much value.

j1n i was asking about the driving experience control settings. Matt knew what i was asking about and answered it thanks!
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation

Last edited by CKau; 11-16-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: @j1n
CKau is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #58
dcg71
8
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 865
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Anyone considered M performance suspension?? more bang for buck... 1cm drop on 19inch wheels on sportsline dont look right. M performance suspension i believe are listed at USD1,600 + shipping, and is a slightly lower drop without sacrificing ride comfort. Plus you get nice yellow springs.
Sport line comes with std suspension in australia. You need to option either the sport or adaptive suspensions.

As far as M perf suspension goes, there are no springs yet. It's probably the same deal as the v1 E90 kit was - i.e. requires springs and sway bars from the sport suspension.
__________________
------------------------------
2012 F30 335i Sapphire Black Sport Line | ///M Performance Exhaust | ///M Performance Suspension | ///M Sport Front Bumper | ///M Sport 403M Wheels
2006 E92 325i Titan Silver
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
dcg71 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #59
dcg71
8
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 865
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
(read - i never said I disliked, I said the 328i sounded very much like the 320d)
You'll hear a few of them as they pass you
__________________
------------------------------
2012 F30 335i Sapphire Black Sport Line | ///M Performance Exhaust | ///M Performance Suspension | ///M Sport Front Bumper | ///M Sport 403M Wheels
2006 E92 325i Titan Silver
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
dcg71 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #60
CKau
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Whilst i have posted in the main forum about this, i am hoping to get an australian perspective on this.

I recall sitting at the back of my dad's VS commodore and the harsh sun burning my neck. I just realised coming from a hatch that sedans may not have as much protection for rear passengers from the aussie summer sun which sits directly overhead most of the day.

So which would be more cost effective.... A tint or the sunblinds? I was thinking about the blinds but recalled my cousin saying tints were effective at blocking out the sun.

Drawback with tints is bubbling which you will see much later in the car's life. I expect to keep the 328i a while.

Is there a factory tint?
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
CKau is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #61
J1n
15
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra08R View Post
Relax, ... and how much Nm am I losing... something like 35Nm for 45kw

(read - i never said I disliked, I said the 328i sounded very much like the 320d)

Sorry I nvr meant to sound rude but was just trying to understand your logic.
J1n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #62
JonoNZ
3
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport, M Perf
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Whilst i have posted in the main forum about this, i am hoping to get an australian perspective on this.

I recall sitting at the back of my dad's VS commodore and the harsh sun burning my neck. I just realised coming from a hatch that sedans may not have as much protection for rear passengers from the aussie summer sun which sits directly overhead most of the day.

So which would be more cost effective.... A tint or the sunblinds? I was thinking about the blinds but recalled my cousin saying tints were effective at blocking out the sun.

Drawback with tints is bubbling which you will see much later in the car's life. I expect to keep the 328i a while.

Is there a factory tint?
There is a factory tint (standard on M Sport in NZ), and it's very nice. I went for the integrated side blinds also -- extra protection from the UV we have here in NZ - for our little boy in the baby seat!
__________________
F30 335i M-Sport with Estoril Blue II, M Performance Aero Kit, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance PPK, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sport Steering, Revised NBT Pro Nav, Sunroof, 19" 403M, HUD, Rear Camera, DAB+, Comfort Access (20121250 Build, Delivered 25 January 2013)
JonoNZ is offline   New Zealand
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #63
J1n
15
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: R8 V8 '14
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,548
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Whilst i have posted in the main forum about this, i am hoping to get an australian perspective on this.

I recall sitting at the back of my dad's VS commodore and the harsh sun burning my neck. I just realised coming from a hatch that sedans may not have as much protection for rear passengers from the aussie summer sun which sits directly overhead most of the day.

So which would be more cost effective.... A tint or the sunblinds? I was thinking about the blinds but recalled my cousin saying tints were effective at blocking out the sun.

Drawback with tints is bubbling which you will see much later in the car's life. I expect to keep the 328i a while.

Is there a factory tint?
Hi Ckau .. the standard windows are already UV protected and a light level of tint. there are quite a few good tints available that provide a 5 year warranty they dont cost that much either. 800~1000. If you op for the factory tint it will be only the windows behind the b pillar. Cost like close to 800 too. Better off getting it done outside.

Quite a few of my mates go to http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinting/
J1n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #64
David328M-Sport
34
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,454
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
All Australian models will come with sports automatic transmission.
Except for the 318d, although us enthusiasts here wouldn't consider it anyway.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #65
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Sport line comes with std suspension in australia. You need to option either the sport or adaptive suspensions.

As far as M perf suspension goes, there are no springs yet. It's probably the same deal as the v1 E90 kit was - i.e. requires springs and sway bars from the sport suspension.
yeah?. i was under the impression that both the shocks and spring were now available and part of the set sold.. was pretty sure when i read the description for the part. will check, if not i'll just wait.
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #66
Tra08R
3
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Except for the 318d, although us enthusiasts here wouldn't consider it anyway.
Agree. I did 6 laps in a 118d at Eastern creek 2 months ago vs. 325is and M3s. (which I also drove 6 laps each) I can elaborate further if anyone is interested to know the car and the engines capabilities/on track performance.
Tra08R is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST