F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > F-ed up my M5 reps...AGAIN
Extreme Powerhouse

11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

F-ed up my M5 reps...AGAIN

Here's a story for you. So, in a previous thread, I described how I bent my front right wheel on a monster pothole (M5 rep) in this thread:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765073

Well, I kept driving on the wheels with the intention of swapping the M5 reps out for my original wheels with some Blizzaks this weekend. In the meantime I didn't seem to to notice any significant vibrations up front. I did however start to notice a vibration that I could feel in the seat at speeds of 70+MPH (didn't feel it through the steering wheel) so I started to suspect that maybe I had a bent or off-balance wheel in the rear as well. It started to bug me every time I drove on the highway, but I always wondered if it was just my imagination and I was feeling road bumps/imperfections with the stiffer suspension (H&R sports).

Here's where it get's interesting: Last night, I diverted from my usual route home from the cleaners to stop at an ATM. In order to get back on the usual route after hitting up the bank ATM, I found myself turning left at an unfamiliar intersection, under construction, in the dark, running late for a dinner reservation, in a bit of a rush. I pulled out to turn left onto the main road and right at the last split second I realized I took the turn too tight and was about to go up over the divider curb. (photo below, path in RED..I SHOULD have taken the green path, blue arrow is my usual route) UGH...It seemed to feel like it took me 30 seconds to go up and over....and the tires slammed into the curb and I felt like I FLEW over the f-ing thing. I'm guessing I was probably going 20ish MPH This is a 50 MPH zone and nowhere to pull over, so I had to keep driving. I didn't notice anything amiss at first, so I just kept driving home. But when the adrenaline wore off, I could pay a bit closer attention, and there was a definite vibration/shimmy to the car. Again, I didn't feel much through the steering wheel, just in the seat (butt/back) but this time it was much more pronounced, and at almost any speed. I clearly screwed up one or all of the wheels. I was worried that the impact could have damaged suspension components (like a control arm). I woke up early to swap the wheels out with my originals before work today, and get underneath in the light to inspect the components and didn't notice anything -- only visible damage I could see was a scrape underneath the front airdam on the driver's side and the rear passengar side plastic jack point was chewed up a bit. After I took a spin with the OEM wheels/tires, all vibrations/shimmy, etc. seemed to disappear. What a bummer -- 17 years of driving, and quite a few cars with aftermarket wheels and suspensions, I've never made such a stupid mistake, and I've never even curbed a wheel, let alone bent one -- now, in less than a month's time, it appears I may have ruined an entire set! So frustrating.

Does anyone have experience with the shops that claim to fix bent rims? The local one I know of charges $100 per wheel...at that price I wonder if I might as well just buy new rims (the M5 reps are cheap, at $800 a set plus shipping).

Thanks,
Luke
Attached Images

Last edited by AWF30MSPORT; 11-16-2012 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Curb them again and we may have to start a petition to have you hand them over to one of us
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Cheap reps are gonna bend easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Cheap reps are gonna bend easily.
Yes indeed -- Granted, I think almost any wheel would bend from the monster pothole two weeks ago and my idiotic curb incident last night.

Now I'm asking myself the question: "do I even try to fix or replace them, or just give up on them altogether and find something else?" I don't really like anything else, and now that I've had 19s on the car, going back to the OEM 18s is a visual disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
Yes indeed -- Granted, I think almost any wheel would bend from the monster pothole two weeks ago and my idiotic curb incident last night.

Now I'm asking myself the question: "do I even try to fix or replace them, or just give up on them altogether and find something else?" I don't really like anything else, and now that I've had 19s on the car, going back to the OEM 18s is a visual disappointment.
Fix or replace, and it will happen again eventually with reps.

Why not try the OEM 19" Sport or M-sport wheels?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
Curb them again and we may have to start a petition to have you hand them over to one of us
Curb them again, and next time he has to provide a slide package with animations and music with it...

Seriously, that sucks man. My condolences. It seems for me that when I care about something, it somehow gets dinged up. When I don't care anymore, they are never damaged again. Sometimes its just really bad luck/timing.
      11-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Try your luck with 18's man...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Can't you just call **********s and replace the one bent wheel?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson743 View Post
Can't you just call **********s and replace the one bent wheel?
That's the rub...I know one is bent because I can see it, I presume at least one other is also bent, maybe all- no matter what I do, I will have to take them all in to a tire shop to figure out which ones are bent and then either pay 80-100 USD to repair each bent wheel, or replace the bent one(s) for 200ish each, then pay to have the tires re-mounted and balanced. Almost seems easier to just order a new set of wheels, swap out the tires and sell the old wheels to someone else to deal with straightening them (full disclosure, of course).

I'm not going to worry about it until spring time since I will be riding on the factory M-Sport 18s with winter tires now-- I'll figure it out in March. Maybe I will fall in love with another wheel by then. (Not likely, I really love that wheel design).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Curb them again, and next time he has to provide a slide package with animations and music with it...

Seriously, that sucks man. My condolences. It seems for me that when I care about something, it somehow gets dinged up. When I don't care anymore, they are never damaged again. Sometimes its just really bad luck/timing.
Haha, yeah, I made those pictures trying to explain to a friend what happened who didn't quite understand without the visuals...I realize it's a bit over the top
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Superlative
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupé

Oops!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Invest in some forged wheels, no point dumping more money into cheap reps that will keep getting bent. 437M's are a good start...
Appreciate 0