F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Filter
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant
Rick4345's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
459
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Mineral Gray
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (7)

Oil Filter

Does anyone know if the oil filter is the same for the 2.0 and the 3.0? If not can someone give me a part number and brand for the 2.0? The help is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,795
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

They are different.


328i filter kit part # is: 11427640862
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...34&hg=11&fg=30


335i filter kit part # is: 11427566327
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...65&hg=11&fg=30
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
CKau
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
They are different.


328i filter kit part # is: 11427640862
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...34&hg=11&fg=30


335i filter kit part # is: 11427566327
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...65&hg=11&fg=30
thanks for the diagram. I'm a first time BMW owner to be. For the 328i, does the element "11427640862" have to be removed by unscrewing the cover? (part 11427525334)

Is it the element that needs to be replaced?

On most cars, I'm used to seeing just one big cannister. You remove the entire canister & replace it with a new one and throw away the old oil filter cannister. I've never had to disassemble the cannister itself to change the filter.

Am i reading the diagram correctly?
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
SamE30
New Member
Canada
0
Rep
14
Posts

 
Drives: 99 Plymouth Neon
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
thanks for the diagram. I'm a first time BMW owner to be. For the 328i, does the element "11427640862" have to be removed by unscrewing the cover? (part 11427525334)

Is it the element that needs to be replaced?

On most cars, I'm used to seeing just one big cannister. You remove the entire canister & replace it with a new one and throw away the old oil filter cannister. I've never had to disassemble the cannister itself to change the filter.

Am i reading the diagram correctly?
Remove the cartridge and filter from the filter housing
Pull the filter out of the cartridge
Change the o-rings with the ones supplied
Push the new filter in the same way the old came out
Put a bit of oil on the large black o-ring at the top
Re-install cartridge into Filter housing, torque and voila!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
CKau
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30 View Post
Remove the cartridge and filter from the filter housing
Pull the filter out of the cartridge
Change the o-rings with the ones supplied
Push the new filter in the same way the old came out
Put a bit of oil on the large black o-ring at the top
Re-install cartridge into Filter housing, torque and voila!

I am planning on doing this early after 4000kms when the car is new. So there will potentially be lots of metal filings dripping out of the filter as I remove it or at the bottom of the housing. Any tips to mop these up?

I change the oil when the engine is warm, so I suppose to let the engine oil cool down a bit before attempting the procedure

Thanks!
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
9
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (3)

Is the drain plug reusable once unscrewed?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST