F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328i Base Loaner Scary Event
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

328i Base Loaner Scary Event

So I currently have a 328i base loaner. The only option it has on it is the premium package. I was falling in love with it, flinging it around the corners and getting up to the speed limit in a split second at every light. Until I went around a turn and discovered alarmingly that all the cars were at a dead stop (multi car accident that just happened) so I had to break hard, really hard. ABS had activated but I wasn't stopping as fast as I needed to! Now these are all seasons, which I think had a lot to do with it. I stopped probably less than 1 foot away from the bumper of the vehicle in front of me.

I had another emergency stop a few years ago that I had to do in my z4 and the 328i was pathetic in comparison. I must give it some credit though, if I was in my Honda Accord, I'd be one more car in the accident which already had 4 cars in it.

I miss my car already. In all fairness, I think the 328i would be great with the M-sport package. However, my problem is that I would have too much fun with it. The 335i is heavier and feels more planted with more growl, which makes me want to drive it normally, knowing you have power if you need it. I needed to constantly push the 328i to hear the engine noise I love. Also, I didn't think you could get 20 MPG for the 328i, but apparently you can...

I haven't tried breaking hard in my 335i M Sport, but I sure hope it's better than this one otherwise I gotta start driving more slowly.

Just thought I needed to share.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Maz335i's Avatar
Canada
57
Rep
3,225
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

What happened to ur 335i?
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
What happened to ur 335i?
2nd attempt for the dealer to set the ASS to remember last....
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
justinnum1
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

328 brakes are definitely weak. weaker than e90 brakes and weaker than they should be for a 328.

they will get the job done, barley.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,576
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
328 brakes are definitely weak. weaker than e90 brakes and weaker than they should be for a 328.

they will get the job done, barley.
I drove a 335 Sport and the brakes felt as they had less bite than the M-Sport pads on my 328.

In this story, I think it's all about the M-Sport pads have good bite and the braking relies SO much on tires. The base 17" all seasons are a world away from staggered summer tires on M-Sport equipped cars.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Be careful out there today, I saw about 3 accidents driving to do 1 errand. Today is supposedly the biggest drinking day of the year.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I drove a 335 Sport and the brakes felt as they had less bite than the M-Sport pads on my 328.

In this story, I think it's all about the M-Sport pads have good bite and the braking relies SO much on tires. The base 17" all seasons are a world away from staggered summer tires on M-Sport equipped cars.
Good to hear. I'm going to drive this one like a granny now until I get mine back.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
justinnum1
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I drove a 335 Sport and the brakes felt as they had less bite than the M-Sport pads on my 328.

In this story, I think it's all about the M-Sport pads have good bite and the braking relies SO much on tires. The base 17" all seasons are a world away from staggered summer tires on M-Sport equipped cars.
I test drove a msport 328 too. was very disappointed in the brakes in al lines of the 328. Not sure if you ever drove an e90 but its noticeable better.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
Honker
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335 xdrive Sportline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Saskatchewan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
Be careful out there today, I saw about 3 accidents driving to do 1 errand. Today is supposedly the biggest drinking day of the year.
Why is that? Is it because tomorrow is US Thanksgiving day?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honker View Post
Why is that? Is it because tomorrow is US Thanksgiving day?
Oh yes lol. Sorry, I meant to say it's because America's Thanksgiving Day is tomorrow. I know Canada's thanksgiving has already passed.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
AWF30MSPORT's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
497
Posts

 
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honker View Post
Why is that? Is it because tomorrow is US Thanksgiving day?
The Wednesday night before U.S. Thanksgiving is widely called "the biggest bar night of the year," but I'm not sure I have seen that claim substantiated with actual sales figures. Anecdotally, it always seems like the bars are crowded when I've been out -- I've always guessed it's the combination of people returning to their hometowns going out with old friends while they are in town, and all the people trying to get out of the house to get away from the stress of annoying family members in town to visit for the holiday.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Jbrock22
Second Lieutenant
Jbrock22's Avatar
4
Rep
206
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328I Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Eastern PA

iTrader: (0)

I upgraded to M sport performance brakes on my 328i. Powerful.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,576
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I test drove a msport 328 too. was very disappointed in the brakes in al lines of the 328. Not sure if you ever drove an e90 but its noticeable better.
I found the E92 M-Sport I drove recently had very similar brakes to my M-Sport, just a bit touchy for touchy sake at the top of the pedal.

The F30 335 without the snarkier pads had poor initial bite. Granted, I did not put the car through it's paces and do 60-20 repeatedly on windy back roads.

An N20 with the same hardware as the N55 would be the hot setup.

I might have to do the M-performance setup down the road. Just want to know it will clear my 17" OZ's.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
mocohead
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
399
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

BMW made a choice with the base 328i - less dust and squeak for less bite. There is no magic bullet brake pad. You can have great braking, or clean/quiet braking but not both. In BMW's estimation US customers would rather have quiet and clean brakes than great stopping brakes. People seem to think that a luxury car's brakes should not make a peep. In reading some of the posts here with people complaining about their M Sport brake pads squeaking, with multiple trips to the dealer, it seems BMW read the market correctly!

Note that an easy fix is to replace the US 328i pad with the euro 328i pad. It is an easy job, relatively inexpensive, and warranty safe.

But as an aside I drove my car on the track with the stock pads and they were fine. Even with r-compounds installed, I had little fade and stopping distances were reasonable. Since heating them up nicely on the track, it seems they work better around town than they did before.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
BMWinGE
Captain
10
Rep
649
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

so the standard msport brakes are different the sport line brakes? i didnt realize that. i also didnt know the euro brakes were different, i might have to look in to swapping mine out. ive never had problems stopping but do think they could be improved.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
BMoutlaW
Team Blop
BMoutlaW's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Renton, Washington

iTrader: (0)

Just don't drive so crazy all the time lol enjoy your car when you're on a safe empty road. Performance driving all the time can't be good for the mpg
__________________
Finally Famous!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Vitoco
Captain
Vitoco's Avatar
Sweden
13
Rep
854
Posts

 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
so the standard msport brakes are different the sport line brakes? i didnt realize that. i also didnt know the euro brakes were different, i might have to look in to swapping mine out. ive never had problems stopping but do think they could be improved.
This is not true (for europe at least).The 328i has the same brakes across all lines, and then u have the M Sport Brakes (blue caliper) option 2NH for the M Sport. Same brakes as the aftermarket M Performance Brakes (yellow, red and orange calipers). Only difference, in europe, is that the Performance brakes have slotted discs. Otherwise same size n pads etc between the two M variants.
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Yobyot's Avatar
15
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
...ABS had activated but I wasn't stopping as fast as I needed to! Now these are all seasons, which I think had a lot to do with it. I stopped probably less than 1 foot away from the bumper of the vehicle in front of me...
A common misperception is that ABS helps you stop shorter.

Incorrect. ABS ensures that you can steer during what would normally be a situation in which the wheels would lock up. In fact, when ABS is operating, you will definitely take longer to stop in terms of distance.

Think about it: without ABS, you'd lose all control of the car because you're skidding. ABS is not about decreasing stopping distance; it's about maintaining control of the direction of the car.

The tires in this car may have added to the stopping distance. But it sounds like speed was the real issue, as it almost always is.
__________________
MY12 335i ZSL with a deep dive into the options list
Produced: 2012-06-22
ED: 2012-07-19; Arrived in Jersey City: 2012-08-23
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Reznick
First Lieutenant
Reznick's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
386
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
A common misperception is that ABS helps you stop shorter.

Incorrect. ABS ensures that you can steer during what would normally be a situation in which the wheels would lock up. In fact, when ABS is operating, you will definitely take longer to stop in terms of distance.

Think about it: without ABS, you'd lose all control of the car because you're skidding. ABS is not about decreasing stopping distance; it's about maintaining control of the direction of the car.

The tires in this car may have added to the stopping distance. But it sounds like speed was the real issue, as it almost always is.
You're wrong on this point . While it will allow you to steer because your wheels haven't locked up,to say it will take longer to stop just isn't true. On wet pavement or icy conditions ABS will stop shorter.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
SubzeroVR4's Avatar
5
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
A common misperception is that ABS helps you stop shorter.

Incorrect. ABS ensures that you can steer during what would normally be a situation in which the wheels would lock up. In fact, when ABS is operating, you will definitely take longer to stop in terms of distance.

Think about it: without ABS, you'd lose all control of the car because you're skidding. ABS is not about decreasing stopping distance; it's about maintaining control of the direction of the car.

The tires in this car may have added to the stopping distance. But it sounds like speed was the real issue, as it almost always is.
True but there are some exceptions. While the purpose of anti-lock braking isn't to shorten the stopping distances, some surfaces it can. Dry/Wet pavement it actually has been proven to shorten stopping distance by keeping the wheel rolling. Ice, snow, gravel, packed snow. ABS dramatically lengthend the stopping distance as compared to conventional locking of the wheels. The real benefit like you mentioned earlier would be that you still maintain steering control during panic stops.
__________________
'10 Mercedes C63 AMG
'09 E90 335i Fully Loaded-Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
Yobyot
Lieutenant
Yobyot's Avatar
15
Rep
558
Posts

 
Drives: MY12 F30 ZSL
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
You're wrong on this point . While it will allow you to steer because your wheels haven't locked up,to say it will take longer to stop just isn't true. On wet pavement or icy conditions ABS will stop shorter.
It's the lack of understanding about ABS that makes so many yahoos drive like they do, especially in inclement weather and in 4WD/AWD vehicles. We have a special name for them here in Boston: "Massholes."

See this link. Hopefully, you'll accept the facts and alter your driving to match the laws of physics.
__________________
MY12 335i ZSL with a deep dive into the options list
Produced: 2012-06-22
ED: 2012-07-19; Arrived in Jersey City: 2012-08-23
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #22
SubzeroVR4
Second Lieutenant
SubzeroVR4's Avatar
5
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: Infiniti FX35
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dayton, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Ultimately, it all comes down to tires. ABS or not without the proper tires, these advance safety systems aren't going to be able to function properly.
__________________
'10 Mercedes C63 AMG
'09 E90 335i Fully Loaded-Sold
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST