F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ASS and break in period
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Lakers0824
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange county

iTrader: (0)

ASS and break in period

Hey guys I apologize if this has been asked before but is it okay to use the ASS function during the break in period?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
howiegu
Member
howiegu's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 13' 335xi Msport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824
Hey guys I apologize if this has been asked before but is it okay to use the ASS function during the break in period?
Yes. You need to break in that ASS
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Roki_014
Major
33
Rep
1,231
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824 View Post
Hey guys I apologize if this has been asked before but is it okay to use the ASS function during the break in period?
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Captain
15
Rep
895
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
The amount of factual information in your post is highly useful.



There are no issues with using the ASS during break in.
__________________
2013 335i M Sport /// Alpine White/Coral Red
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Lakers0824
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange county

iTrader: (0)

^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
BMWFanatic2008
Captain
BMWFanatic2008's Avatar
8
Rep
714
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

I find this feature useful for regular stop light stops. On the other hand, it quickly gets annoying in slow moving traffic or parking.
__________________
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | Sport 8AT | DHP | 19" 403M | ZDA | ZTP | Sat radio | 494 (Gone)
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | 6MT | DHP | 19" 403M (Gone)
E92 335xi | MSport | Le Mans Blue Metallic (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Tsuvoi
Banned
6
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
Trust me I use that ass every opportunity I can, and I'm not trying to save any gas at all. Actually quite the opposite to the dismay of my passengers...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
roundabout
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio,USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
I find this feature useful for regular stop light stops. On the other hand, it quickly gets annoying in slow moving traffic or parking.
I find it useful in 2/6 stops for my daily commute. Nevertheless, I do plan to leave it on

The followup question is I can rarely disable it temporarily with bake pedal technique mentioned in the manual. Especially if I am coasting to a stop.

However I have good results if I 'wiggle' the steering before I stop
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
wdlv
First Lieutenant
wdlv's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport Line GS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

I believe ASS is mainly meant to reduce carbon emissions. However, I do leave it on all the time, I like it for city driving (traffic lights, etc.) but hate it when stuck in traffic jams where I will typically switch it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
The X Men
Colonel
26
Rep
2,004
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
I find it useful in 2/6 stops for my daily commute. Nevertheless, I do plan to leave it on

The followup question is I can rarely disable it temporarily with bake pedal technique mentioned in the manual. Especially if I am coasting to a stop.

However I have good results if I 'wiggle' the steering before I stop
Pushing the brake pedal hard as descride in the manual doesnt work for me either. Is the wiggle the steering wheel procedure from the manual? I have never heard of that one. I know that when ASS kicks in, you can turn the steering wheel and the engine will start.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
roundabout
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ohio,USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Pushing the brake pedal hard as descride in the manual doesnt work for me either. Is the wiggle the steering wheel procedure from the manual? I have never heard of that one. I know that when ASS kicks in, you can turn the steering wheel and the engine will start.
Not from the manual If there movement in the steering as I come to stop I discovered that ASS does not kick in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
18
Rep
1,796
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
Not from the manual If there movement in the steering as I come to stop I discovered that ASS does not kick in.
It also turns the car back on if ASS has kicked in to turn it off. I guess they figured if you're turning the wheel that you're about to start moving even if you haven't taken your foot off the break. Regardless, the engine starts up if you turn the wheel a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
4TW
4TW
4TW's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
876
Posts

 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
why would you use the ass in the first place, its such a useless feature, its just not good for the car imo, just try turning on/off your current car at every light and see how u feel about it, plus I doubt you would be saving any gas money because of it
bmw knows more than you do, they dont want leased cars with a function that ruins the car...
__________________
Current: F82 M4 | AW | DCT
Sold: E92 M3 | AW | ZCP | DCT | Modecarbon | HRE | iPe Innotech | KW V3 | BPM
Sold: F30 335i | EBII | 6MT | M-Sport | Adv.1 Wheels | BC Coils
Sold: F30 335i | Jet Black | 8AT | 1M Bumper | Slek | GT Haus | H&R | MORR
Check out @bmwgram on instagram!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
26
Rep
2,004
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

It still amaze me that in this day and age, people are still in the dark when it comes to new technologies.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
hans007
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

iTrader: (0)

im going to get them to code it to save just because i think its stupid it doesnt save the setting.

i dont think its that terrible and i've had my car for just over a week. it doesnt run if the car is still cold, so there is stuff in the car that determines when to run it or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #16
Adceleratus
Private First Class
Adceleratus's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M Sport Estoril Blue II
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
Yes. You need to break in that ASS
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
im going to get them to code it to save just because i think its stupid it doesnt save the setting.

i dont think its that terrible and i've had my car for just over a week. it doesnt run if the car is still cold, so there is stuff in the car that determines when to run it or not.
As you've discovered it won't shut the engine off under certain circumstances such as when the engine is still cold, as it needs to warm up as quickly as possible for emissions reduction. It won't shut the engine off if the ambient temperature is too hot, or it may restart the engine before you release the brake. It depends on how hot the outside air is. There is a gel in the air ducts that freezes/gets very cold while the AC is running so that when ASS shuts the engine off the air vents keep blowing across the gel to keep cool air coming into the cabin. If the car is still stopped and the gel has warmed, ASS may restart the engine to provide cooling.
If it's too cold outside the same things can happen, as vents will continue to blow warm air until it's exhausted, and if the car isn't moving the engine may restart to provide heat.

IIRC, if the trans is in "manual" mode, ASS won't activate.
ASS may also not activate if the driver mode is in sport+, but I'm not sure about that one.

Seems BMW spent some time working out the little details on implementing ASS.
The part they need to work on some more is with the AT. Once the car comes to a stop there is still load torque being applied to the RWD, and thus there is some compression of the front suspension. When ASS shuts the engine off there is no more torque on the drive line and you can feel the rear suspension drop down. It's an odd sensation.
I don't use ASS, not the BMW type at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824 View Post
^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
Take it to the dealer you purchased from.
It's a free update from BMW. As you know, once they code it the system defaults to the "last used" setting of on or off.

Tidbit: If you engage "eco pro" mode at any time while driving, ASS will activate and will stay active until the driver turns it off, even if you change driver modes ASS will remain active.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
DarkTrigger
Professional
DarkTrigger's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
977
Posts

 
Drives: 335i MPPK
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: LB, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Get it coded. Comes with a nice update to the rest of the programming too. From what the dealer told me, an update normally costs money but this is a one time only freebee.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
Decepax
Private
United_States
0
Rep
50
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive; Z4; X3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: OR

iTrader: (0)

I have found that my ASS will disable if after coming to a stop I let up slightly on the brake. I have not had success with pressing harder on the brake as the manual states.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #21
Lakers0824
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange county

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers0824 View Post
^i see your point but I guess I'm part of the select few that actually likes the feature lol. But I have to say that I'd rather have it off by default then turn it on when I want it on, versus the other way around...still trying to find dealers that'll code it for me.
Take it to the dealer you purchased from.
It's a free update from BMW. As you know, once they code it the system defaults to the "last used" setting of on or off.

Tidbit: If you engage "eco pro" mode at any time while driving, ASS will activate and will stay active until the driver turns it off, even if you change driver modes ASS will remain active.
As soon as I bought the car I asked the guy I was dealing with if they could code the ASS, but he had no clue about it. Maybe I should talk to someone else
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #22
hans007
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
302
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
As you've discovered it won't shut the engine off under certain circumstances such as when the engine is still cold, as it needs to warm up as quickly as possible for emissions reduction. It won't shut the engine off if the ambient temperature is too hot, or it may restart the engine before you release the brake. It depends on how hot the outside air is. There is a gel in the air ducts that freezes/gets very cold while the AC is running so that when ASS shuts the engine off the air vents keep blowing across the gel to keep cool air coming into the cabin. If the car is still stopped and the gel has warmed, ASS may restart the engine to provide cooling.
If it's too cold outside the same things can happen, as vents will continue to blow warm air until it's exhausted, and if the car isn't moving the engine may restart to provide heat.

IIRC, if the trans is in "manual" mode, ASS won't activate.
ASS may also not activate if the driver mode is in sport+, but I'm not sure about that one.

Seems BMW spent some time working out the little details on implementing ASS.
The part they need to work on some more is with the AT. Once the car comes to a stop there is still load torque being applied to the RWD, and thus there is some compression of the front suspension. When ASS shuts the engine off there is no more torque on the drive line and you can feel the rear suspension drop down. It's an odd sensation.
I don't use ASS, not the BMW type at least.

the rear suspension drop down thing i havent really noticed. the only thing that is a little not luxury seeming is that when it starts up again, it is not exactly perfectly smooth.

i dont' know i live in LA. today is friday and i decided to leave work at 6pm (which was earlier than i usually leave) and attempt to make it to my apartment at a reasonable time. i took surface streets and it took 35 min. (the distance was a total of 5.5 miles, and people wonder why no one buys a manual here...)

anyhow, you could easily see how much fuel automatic stop start saves in those conditions. I think its a great technology honestly and plan to use it. I still think its stupid they coded it to not save by default, but yeah there are all sorts of conditions for when it wont do it. it actually flashes a little auto stop start circle crossed out on the dash, when it would have used it but wont use it due to say the engine not being warm yet etc.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST