F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series (F30) seat rust issue causes owner to destroy car in protest!
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #155
hans007
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i estoril blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: culver city, ca

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

hmm i just checked mine and there are some rust spots on the pan part, but not the hinge.


i guess ill have to ask them about it when i get them to switch the automatic stop start to save
hans007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #156
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
 
ScarecrowBoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NEB

Posts: 870
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Wikipedia is NOT a valid reference for much of anything technical.


It is a wonderful reference for all things technical. Should you base calculations for designing a bridge off of it, no, but it is a perfect resource for understanding processes outside of your area of expertise (i.e. apparently everything for you). "Surface rust" can't spread? LOL so every little square millimeter of rust has always been exactly as it was? Piss off
__________________
12 BMW 328i
08 Range Rover Sport SC
ScarecrowBoat is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 03:41 AM   #157
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
 
JC919's Avatar
 
Drives: CSL
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland

Posts: 1,791
iTrader: (0)

There are some stupid motherfuckers out there, but this guy is really making an effort. His seat had rust on it, so he trashes his car? BMW offered to replace the parts, yet he demanded a new car because of rusted seats? You guys have to understand that this is a very stupid reason to get your panties in such a wad.

The seat rust issue makes the oil pump recall in the F10 M5 that some had to deal with look like a disaster of biblical proportions. Replace seat parts and everything is good to go, but no, this guy had to be a monumentally overacting, whiny bitch about it.

Find more important things to worry about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________

2003 CSL, SG and some brake bs
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. Stored in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, Akrapovic Evolution, Evosport Pulley, ESS Tune, Michelin PSS/Hoosier, other track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 12-07-2012 at 03:51 AM.
JC919 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #158
BimmerHJ
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
There are some stupid motherfuckers out there, but this guy is really making an effort. His seat had rust on it, so he trashes his car? BMW offered to replace the parts, yet he demanded a new car because of rusted seats? You guys have to understand that this is a very stupid reason to get your panties in such a wad.

The seat rust issue makes the oil pump recall in the F10 M5 that some had to deal with look like a disaster of biblical proportions. Replace seat parts and everything is good to go, but no, this guy had to be a monumentally overacting, whiny bitch about it.

Find more important things to worry about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Korean guy's request for repairing or changing seats was rejected by BMW Korea at first, and that's why he was so upset, then he had to elevate the situation for asking a new car...
I see you drive 2008 BMW, and guess what, if you buy a new F30 and find your seats are rusted and ask for new seats to your BMW dealer, you may get the same ignorance from the dealer as Korean guy had because BMW is saying rust is NORMAL procedure!!!

Well, hope you enjoy your E90's clean seats.
BimmerHJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #159
BimmerHJ
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post


It is a wonderful reference for all things technical. Should you base calculations for designing a bridge off of it, no, but it is a perfect resource for understanding processes outside of your area of expertise (i.e. apparently everything for you). "Surface rust" can't spread? LOL so every little square millimeter of rust has always been exactly as it was? Piss off


Wikipedia is the MOST reliable source of technology in these days, and that's why almost every students, including post secondary, and high tech companies are relying on Wikipedia. It depends, though, how you use it. Some old generations still rely on super thick encyclopaedia books.
BimmerHJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #160
BimmerHJ
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Rust will only develop if the metal is subjected to extended periods of time of high humidity/salinity. It's develops more rapidly at elevated ambient temperatures. A little known fact is that surface rust is actually protective for most alloys. Once it develops, it never goes any deeper. In this case, the only way you'll see an extensive bloom is if you park the car for months at a time with water sitting in the footwells or are close to an ocean. I'm guessing what we've seen up to this point developed while the cars were enroute on a very humid ship. Be careful tossing the word fact around. There are a million variables at play that can affect the outcome. I don't think anyone can definitively say what the affected cars have/have not been subjected to.

Regarding the claims of a health hazard, I'd love to see references to inhalation of rust particles leading to cancer (short of occupational exposure over extended periods). Regardless, the only way you'll ever be exposed to airborne rust particles is if you've mechanically disturbed it. There's nothing to motivate it to jump into the air otherwise. There are far worse hazards that you'll encounter during your day that should concern you more than rusty seat pans.

I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm just trying to keep this in perspective. If anyone attempts to get help from their dealer making claims such as these they'll have an uphill battle for sure. You need to be rational and have reasonable expectations. I AGREE that it really shouldn't be there and that it should be addressed. But I also don't think it's the end of the world. It's a cosmetic issue, nothing more. Your opinion may vary.

I happen to like rusty BMWs:

That's why the Korean guy was so upset because he heard the exactly same thing as you said, from BMW Korea.....
They told him that 'every kind of metal is supposed to be rusted, and rust has no impact on safety issue, so it's very NORMAL to have rust on cars'
BimmerHJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #161
BimmerHJ
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Better translation from BMW Korea's official letter from OP's post; (refer to attached image)

- Seat frame is made of steel (Fe), and in general it has to be under rust preventative process, but in this case, we confirmed that the seat supporting part in red circle did not have rust preventative process and was assembled with seat cushion, then rust has developed as time goes by, so we fixed this issue since Nov. 2012 productions.
- This rust issue is not affecting the car's normal operation, but we will provide rust prevention service to all new 1, 3 series which released before Nov 2012, for quality improvement and customer satisfaction purpose.
Attached Images
 
BimmerHJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #162
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
Better translation from BMW Korea's official letter from OP's post; (refer to attached image)

- Seat frame is made of steel (Fe), and in general it has to be under rust preventative process, but in this case, we confirmed that the seat supporting part in red circle did not have rust preventative process and was assembled with seat cushion, then rust has developed as time goes by, so we fixed this issue since Nov. 2012 productions.
- This rust issue is not affecting the car's normal operation, but we will provide rust prevention service to all new 1, 3 series which released before Nov 2012, for quality improvement and customer satisfaction purpose.
Does this memo exist in the US? I will probably take my car in and get it fixed if this has been issued for US cars as well.
zeezz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #163
BimmerHJ
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
Does this memo exist in the US? I will probably take my car in and get it fixed if this has been issued for US cars as well.
I'm not sure about US.
But in Korea, BMW has quickly changed their stance in less than 24 hours and announced that all affected (rusty) seats will be replaced with new seats free of charge (??? WTF), after all media (TV, newspapers and online media) reported about "Rusty BMW" performance (?) by an angry owner in front of the flagship BMW dealer in "Gangnam" area.

Some media reported that BMW's 'Luxury Car" image has been hardly hit by the protester's performance and media's attention, and Audi is taking a good chance to be #1 spot in Korea.

(PS) Yesterday, BMW Korea said that there are total 5006 new F30 cars (manufactured between Feb. 2012 ~ Oct.2012) affected by rusty seat frames, and small number of 1-series cars, and all of the affected owners are notified by phone calls from BMW Korea service dept. and scheduled for "free" service (?)...
BimmerHJ is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #164
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
 
Drives: e92 - 2007
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Bmw Fail

Profitability > Quality.

Fck Them
Tra08R is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #165
CKau
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, when I saw a 328i in the dealership, I saw all this orange crap in the drain holes in the door, door hinges, and tons of it under the bonnet.

Just so happens that while I was researching before I ordered the car, I came across this which looks to be the same. Check out the top left part of the photo. In this case is it some kind of lubricant or is it rust?

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/BMW%...3series-07.jpg
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
CKau is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #166
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It's obvious that this guy has some issues, and the car was just an outlet for him to express his anger. Come on man really? BMW should replace the SURFACE RUSTED!!!! part and send him a bill for the towing and storage.
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #167
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
PDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Hey guys, when I saw a 328i in the dealership, I saw all this orange crap in the drain holes in the door, door hinges, and tons of it under the bonnet.

Just so happens that while I was researching before I ordered the car, I came across this which looks to be the same. Check out the top left part of the photo. In this case is it some kind of lubricant or is it rust?

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/BMW%...3series-07.jpg
Thats lubricant for the hood hindge, the dealer probably could have done a better job with the Pre Delivery Inspection.
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #168
CKau
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia

Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinMrBMWBey View Post
Thats lubricant for the hood hindge, the dealer probably could have done a better job with the Pre Delivery Inspection.
They could have selected a different colour of lubricant
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
CKau is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #169
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,978
iTrader: (3)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
I'm not sure about US.
But in Korea, BMW has quickly changed their stance in less than 24 hours and announced that all affected (rusty) seats will be replaced with new seats free of charge (??? WTF), after all media (TV, newspapers and online media) reported about "Rusty BMW" performance (?) by an angry owner in front of the flagship BMW dealer in "Gangnam" area.

Some media reported that BMW's 'Luxury Car" image has been hardly hit by the protester's performance and media's attention, and Audi is taking a good chance to be #1 spot in Korea.

(PS) Yesterday, BMW Korea said that there are total 5006 new F30 cars (manufactured between Feb. 2012 ~ Oct.2012) affected by rusty seat frames, and small number of 1-series cars, and all of the affected owners are notified by phone calls from BMW Korea service dept. and scheduled for "free" service (?)...
WTF...so we have to do this in the US in order to get BMWNA to respond?

Ok guys...who's willing to destroy their F30 for this.

BTW, dealer said it was "normal" and "happens to unpainted sections"...I told them it's unacceptable, but will wait for a recall...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #170
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Hey guys, when I saw a 328i in the dealership, I saw all this orange crap in the drain holes in the door, door hinges, and tons of it under the bonnet.

Just so happens that while I was researching before I ordered the car, I came across this which looks to be the same. Check out the top left part of the photo. In this case is it some kind of lubricant or is it rust?

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/BMW%...3series-07.jpg
That's cosmoline.
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #171
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinMrBMWBey View Post
Thats lubricant for the hood hindge, the dealer probably could have done a better job with the Pre Delivery Inspection.
It's not lubricant.
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #172
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It's not lubricant.
Well what is it? In your opinion?
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #173
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinMrBMWBey View Post
Well what is it? In your opinion?
Cosmoline. In my opinion.
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #174
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Is it really that big a deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
WTF...so we have to do this in the US in order to get BMWNA to respond?

Ok guys...who's willing to destroy their F30 for this.

BTW, dealer said it was "normal" and "happens to unpainted sections"...I told them it's unacceptable, but will wait for a recall...
So the seat bottom developed surface rust, big deal you get it repaired just like anything else. As long as human beings are developing machines thier will be an issue here and there. No reason to make a fool of yourself destroying your car, or going down to you dealer and raising hell. I think that people are forgeting that cars are made to drive, and by drive that means they are made to use. You dont by a car to simply look at it, and a car does not validate you as a person. It gets scratched, they get dented, they break it's just reality. You buy a car to drive it not question every nut and bolt looking for a problem. Sometimes what you think shouldn't happen just happens you deal with and move on with life.
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #175
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Your right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Cosmoline. In my opinion.
I looked it up I was wrong calling it lubricant. However I do know you should have it removed during PDI.
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #176
MelvinMrBMWBey
New Member
 
MelvinMrBMWBey's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Owings Mills

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It might be a cultural thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
There are some stupid motherfuckers out there, but this guy is really making an effort. His seat had rust on it, so he trashes his car? BMW offered to replace the parts, yet he demanded a new car because of rusted seats? You guys have to understand that this is a very stupid reason to get your panties in such a wad.

The seat rust issue makes the oil pump recall in the F10 M5 that some had to deal with look like a disaster of biblical proportions. Replace seat parts and everything is good to go, but no, this guy had to be a monumentally overacting, whiny bitch about it.

Find more important things to worry about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I sold VW's for a few years and had a Korean customer demand a new car because the check engine light came on several times. Turns out there was a recall on some valve easy fix in service cost nothing as a part of the warranty, none the less the guy really thought we would replace his car, like he ordered a steak and it was overdone...lol
MelvinMrBMWBey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1 series seat rust, 1 series seat rusting, 1 series seat rusty, 3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3 series seat rust, bmw 3 series seat rusting, bmw 3 series seat rusty, bmw 3-series f30, bmw f30, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, bmw rust, bmw seat rust, f30 3 series seat rust, f30 3 series seat rusting, f30 3 series seat rusty, f30 3-series, f30 3-series forum, f30 forum, f30 forums, rusting 1 series seat, rusting 3 series seat, rusty 1 series seat, rusty 3 series seat, rusty bmw, rusty bmw 3 series seat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST