5239 My 335 in 10 inches of snow
F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My 335 in 10 inches of snow
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
MNBart
Private
0

 
Drives: F30 335ix Sport Line - Alpine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

We got about a foot of snow in the Twin Cities last night and throughout the day and I was really impressed with how the Xdrive performs. Braking was fine but moving through all that snow was great.

10 inches was no problem


Here's a picture of my camouflaged car haha

Pirelli cinturato p7 tires. Stock all season

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
3

 
toughluck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 e92
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pie in the Sky


Posts: 350
iTrader: (1)

I had to stare at the photo for 5 seconds before I found your car, haha J/K. Drive safe
__________________
r56 MINI Cooper S pepper white/redwood lounge leather (sold)
e92 335i red/saddle leather
e90 325i red/beige/clearbra - retired.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
howiegu
Member
United_States
1

 
howiegu's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' 335xi Msport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New England


Posts: 126
iTrader: (0)

you beat me to it...was always want to see how my xi works a week ago when there was snow in forecast. it turned out to be 0.5 in..busted.

BTW, do you have snow on or with the all-seasons come with your ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
MNBart
Private
0

 
Drives: F30 335ix Sport Line - Alpine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

1. sorry for posting it in the wrong section; new to the forum

2. howiegu, these are the stock all season tires that came with the car and they performed very well. the Xdrive is able to compensate very well for any slippage that might occur. I was in a dead stop in about 10 inches of powderly snow and had some trouble getting traction so I just reversed a foot and then plowed forward.

i was very impressed with it going up a windy, steep driveway as well. Looks like i'll be fine with this car in the winter here in MN. the reason I gave up my GTI was to get something that could handle the winters here but still be really fun to drive. I think I've found the complete package
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
Belgium
2

 
Thrillbilly's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago


Posts: 282
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
I got caught in a decent snow the other day, ~2 in. Still have the summer staggered on...xdrive did awesome...finally getting winter tires on next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER


Posts: 434
iTrader: (0)

Awesome photo!............I took my old 2008 335xi skiing 2 years ago up the local mountain with all season tires on 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground and had absoultely no problem. The Xdrive system is very impressive in how you always get full instant traction in rain and snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

I think people around here tend to under-estimate how much AWD helps in really bad conditions because most BMWs are RWD. There is no substitute for good tires, but a good AWD system can really make life a lot easier in the snow. Snow tires and a good AWD system make you unstoppable in a way that RWD simply can't, there's a reason rally driving has gone entirely to AWD.

Obviously I'm biased, but I've owned good FWD and RWD cars, and all else being equal AWD crushes them any time you aren't driving in ideal conditions on smooth tarmac.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
24

 
gtabfknkdnme's Avatar
 
Drives: E90, F30
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio


Posts: 2,455
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBart View Post

10 inches was no problem


Here's a picture of my camouflaged car haha
that's what she said.

nice car
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
CirrusSR22
Captain
10

 
Drives: E36 318ti, R50 MINI
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota


Posts: 947
iTrader: (0)

I'd still buy a set of winter tires. They are magic compared to all-season tires in the snow & ice. I live in Minnesota as well and I will never go back to all-seasons in the winter, regardless of what car I drive (RWD, FWD or AWD).
__________________
If you want things done right, you gotta do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
4

 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER


Posts: 434
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
I'd still buy a set of winter tires. They are magic compared to all-season tires in the snow & ice. I live in Minnesota as well and I will never go back to all-seasons in the winter, regardless of what car I drive (RWD, FWD or AWD).
I agree that in some parts of the US and Canada, winter tires are a must even with Xdrive! Here in Vancouver, we get on average maybe 2 days of snow on the road every year and the average winter daytime temperature is about 6 or 7 degrees celcius so all seasons with Xdrive is more than enough. If anything, with all the rain we get here in Vancouver you need a good rain tire here more than winter tires.......
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
soolman32's Avatar
 
Drives: Current: G37 / Soon: F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US


Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

That's great to know. I'm also local and was wondering how the new xdrive would do in this weather. Thanks for answering that question.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
MNBart
Private
0

 
Drives: F30 335ix Sport Line - Alpine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

No problem, Soolman. I hope you enjoy your F30 when you get it. PM if you need contact info to a sales guy near us. I was treated very well and got a great price
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
soolman32's Avatar
 
Drives: Current: G37 / Soon: F30 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: US


Posts: 160
iTrader: (0)

Will do. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
chrisny
Colonel
United_States
24

 
Drives: Msport '13 335xi & '14 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBart
these are the stock all season tires that came with the car
What brand and model all seasons came on yours? I'm in production now and will use the stock M sport 18's for winter, possibly year round if I'm satisfied with the look and winter performance. I have Conti all seasons now that I've been happy with. Really debated getting the all seasons that I might use or summers that I knew I wouldn't use, since the all seasons come with straight set up instead of staggered. if I end up putting 19's on for the summer, will be tempted to put Blizzaks on the 18's for winter.

Great pic, btw
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
74

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm
I think people around here tend to under-estimate how much AWD helps in really bad conditions because most BMWs are RWD. There is no substitute for good tires, but a good AWD system can really make life a lot easier in the snow. Snow tires and a good AWD system make you unstoppable in a way that RWD simply can't, there's a reason rally driving has gone entirely to AWD.

Obviously I'm biased, but I've owned good FWD and RWD cars, and all else being equal AWD crushes them any time you aren't driving in ideal conditions on smooth tarmac.
In snow yes. In rain. Meh. Glad its basically a drought in la.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Netherlands
46

 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe


Posts: 4,692
iTrader: (0)

Nice. AW. Are those wintertyres?(Style 397) I ordered them but not available atm. We had some snow here last week. A couple of inches.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
MNBart
Private
0

 
Drives: F30 335ix Sport Line - Alpine
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

I will check later today to see what type of tires came with the car. To be honest, i have no idea. All i know is they're 18s

with so many cool features to the car that was the last thing i looked at haha
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
Vitoco
Captain
Sweden
8

 
Vitoco's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden


Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

I donīt really get this with the "all-season" tyres, thereīs no such thing:

Tyres that are supposed to be optimized to winter conditions have softer rubber, running them during warmer temps gives you worse traction because they get too soft.

For warmer weather u need a harder rubber mix in and running THAT tyre in the winter is like driving with plastic wheels on.

A tyre thatīs supposed to be good during both conditions would work ok in a very narrow temperature span; but in the extremes it would just suck.

The "all-season" tyres are erally NOT supposed to be used all-season, theyīre winter tyres without studs and they just SUCK in warmer weather. Using them all year round also kills the rubber mix making them even more useless for both winter AND summer. Itīs simply a sales trick, "Hey, take this tyre that u can use all year round itīs sooooooooo convenient and you donīt have to throw more money on a second pair of wheels "

Guys, for your own safety, driving pleasure etc get yourself a proper SUMMER setup and leave the "all-seasons" for the winter. Seriously, think about it.

(just needed to vent a lil cause I just had this discussion with a guy)
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
sean10mm
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
sean10mm's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
I donīt really get this with the "all-season" tyres, thereīs no such thing:

Tyres that are supposed to be optimized to winter conditions have softer rubber, running them during warmer temps gives you worse traction because they get too soft.

For warmer weather u need a harder rubber mix in and running THAT tyre in the winter is like driving with plastic wheels on.

A tyre thatīs supposed to be good during both conditions would work ok in a very narrow temperature span; but in the extremes it would just suck.

The "all-season" tyres are erally NOT supposed to be used all-season, theyīre winter tyres without studs and they just SUCK in warmer weather. Using them all year round also kills the rubber mix making them even more useless for both winter AND summer. Itīs simply a sales trick, "Hey, take this tyre that u can use all year round itīs sooooooooo convenient and you donīt have to throw more money on a second pair of wheels "

Guys, for your own safety, driving pleasure etc get yourself a proper SUMMER setup and leave the "all-seasons" for the winter. Seriously, think about it.

(just needed to vent a lil cause I just had this discussion with a guy)
It depends what the seasons are like where you are. I'm sure that in Sweden using anything but real snow tires in the winter is brutally stupid. In places where snow is infrequent and light you have more margin of error in tire selection. Specialized tires are clearly the best for whatever season they're made for of course.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Vitoco
Captain
Sweden
8

 
Vitoco's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden


Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
It depends what the seasons are like where you are. I'm sure that in Sweden using anything but real snow tires in the winter is brutally stupid. In places where snow is infrequent and light you have more margin of error in tire selection. Specialized tires are clearly the best for whatever season they're made for of course.
You do have a valid point but on the other hand, if you live in a place with no "real" winter it would probably mean you live in a warmer climate and have hotter springs/summers/falls so during these season you would still want a tyre with characteristics optimized for those seasons ----> a real summer tyre. With an all-season setup you would still have a bad setup throughout these seasons, dont you think?
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
1

 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: near Calgary


Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

My vehicle came with all-season Pirellis. I'm hoping to add a summer set of wheels and tires (a wider set), and use my all-seasons in the winter until they wear out, when I'll replace with proper winter tires for winter.

I prefer using high performance tires when I can, and proper winter tires in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Monkeycmonkeydo
Private
United_States
0

 
Monkeycmonkeydo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i sedan
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: City of angels


Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Reason 9,234 why I am glad I live in Southern California.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST