F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Turning DSC Off completely
GTB Performance

12-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
Renus
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i

When you are in Sport+ mode, you will see a car-slipping icon showed on display, this is meant the DTC & DSC fully off which is same as hold on 5 seconds on the DTC button on E9x.
      12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #46
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
No, that is not correct. As many posts have stated, DSC remains on with DTC activated.

We must view DTC as a version of DSC, within, or sub-function of DSC.

Quoting BMW:

HighlandPete
Exactly.

The "confusion" for me regards the use of "sport and sport+" driver modes, then shutting DSC off.
It would have been more informative if the dash were to show the driver mode PLUS the DSC OFF, but I can't see both at the same time on my dash.
Maybe it's because I don't have the "extended gauge cluster"?

Last edited by RPM90; 12-12-2012 at 04:50 PM.
      12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #47
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
When you are in Sport+ mode, you will see a car-slipping icon showed on display, this is meant the DTC & DSC fully off which is same as hold on 5 seconds on the DTC button on E9x.
Sport+ does NOT fully disengage/turn off DSC.
When Sport+ is selected DTC is activated by default. To turn DSC off you have to use the DSC button.
Remember, DTC is a part, subset program, of DSC. DTC is a more "relaxed" version of DSC, allowing the driver to drive the car in a more dynamic manner before DTC/DSC intervene.

When you put the driver mode into sport+ DTC is activated.
DYNAMIC Traction Control is now active.
This will allow more wheel spin so that one can get their car unstuck in say snow, sand, mud or wherever one needs the drive wheels to keep spinning.
Also, DYNAMIC Traction control allows a harder launch from a standing start by allowing the rear tires to spin, WITHOUT cutting throttle.

DTC also allows a greater degree of rear end drift before the full functionality of DSC intervenes. When DSC is fully on it will step in fairly early if it detects a rear end drift/over steer.
With Sport+, DTC is activated, it will now allow a greater degree of rear end drift/over steer, along with wheel spin, before it intervenes. This is a more "DYNAMIC" level of stability and traction control.

Again, selecting sport+ is sport mode PLUS "+" DTC. The + being DTC is now added/activated along with the sport settings.

This is not the same as holding the DSC button.
When you push and hold that button for 5 seconds, DSC, is now full disengaged/deactivated.

From the manual:
SPORT
Consistently sporty control of the shock absorbers
for greater driving agility.

SPORT+
Consistently sporty control of the shock absorbers
for greater driving agility when driving with
limited driving stabilization.

Note: Sport+ has "limited" driving stabilization, less intervention or DTC.

According to the manual, it does say that you can be in
Sport+ and have DSC OFF.

From the manual:
SPORT+
Sporty driving with optimized chassis and suspension
with limited driving stabilization.
The driver handles several of the stabilization
tasks.
-This is sport mode + DTC

Activating SPORT+
Press the button (Driver Experience Switch) repeatedly until
SPORT+ appears in the instrument
cluster and the DSC OFF indicator lamp lights
up.
-This states the Sport+ with DSC OFF is possible.
However, in my gauge cluster, which is not the extended type, I can see "Sport+" light up when I switch to it. Then, I hold the DSC button until I see "DSC OFF". But, I can't see both indications lit up together as they take up the same space.

I'll have to take a closer look and make sure.

Still, this seems to indicate that if you set driver mode to Sport+ and then turn DSC off, then you will be in Sport + DSC off.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
      12-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #48
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Where are you getting these descriptions? They're much more detailed than what the manual has!
BMW Media Information. Much more detailed in description of the technical aspects than the user manuals. But still often limited in the finer detail.

BMW TV is also a useful place to get descriptions of the option functions.

HighlandPete
      12-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #49
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Note: Sport+ has "limited" driving stabilization, less intervention or DTC.

According to the manual, it does say that you can be in
Sport+ and have DSC OFF.

From the manual:
SPORT+
Sporty driving with optimized chassis and suspension
with limited driving stabilization.
The driver handles several of the stabilization
tasks.
-This is sport mode + DTC

Activating SPORT+
Press the button (Driver Experience Switch) repeatedly until
SPORT+ appears in the instrument
cluster and the DSC OFF indicator lamp lights
up.
-This states the Sport+ with DSC OFF is possible.
However, in my gauge cluster, which is not the extended type, I can see "Sport+" light up when I switch to it. Then, I hold the DSC button until I see "DSC OFF". But, I can't see both indications lit up together as they take up the same space.

I'll have to take a closer look and make sure.

Still, this seems to indicate that if you set driver mode to Sport+ and then turn DSC off, then you will be in Sport + DSC off.

I believe what OP is trying to find out is Sport+ with both DSC and DTC off. One track day I tried to figure this out but couldn't so I just kept it in Sport+.

Everythime I hold the traction button for like 5 seconds it switches the car back to comfort mode not a good mode to be in on the track.
      12-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #50
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
In the F10 with full panel display, when you switch to Sport+ you get the yellow DSC icon, plus the information in red Dynamic Traction Control Activated, along side a white DTC icon.

HighlandPete
      12-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #51
elistan
First Lieutenant

Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Try changing modes and using the button when you have mode change display enabled in the iDrive settings. It gives more detail. Based on what that shows me, when you hit or hold down the button, you're no longer in SPORT, COMFORT, or ECOPRO. You're in a whole new mode, and the iDrive describes it.
elistan is offline   United_States
      05-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #52
Hernandiaz11
Private

Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport 6-Speed

I'm going to resurrect this thread. has anyone figured out a way to code DSC OFF while maintaining all other sport settings. In my 435i I can hold the DSC button for 5 seconds to disable DSC; however, throttle response is no longer in sport.