F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ASS coding through dealer?
GetBMWParts

12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

ASS coding through dealer?

So I contacted my CA about getting my f30 coded for ASS memory, and he told me that currently coding the ASS leads to the Navigation not functioning properly, and that BMW is working on a solution. I thought people were already getting this coded? Anyone else hear anything like this?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

BMW continually makes software changes. Anything is possible, but this sounds like a stretch.

Here's what I do know. BMW typically will not permit ASS key memory coding on cars that have not yet been delivered. Reason is due to BMW being concerned the EPA will question their gas mileage ratings if cars are modified.

BMW requires a PUMA case be opened and this case must include the customer complaint. BMW will respond with files for the dealer to load to the car computer containing the key memory feature. These files are specific for the cars VIN.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

I had mine recoded a month or two ago.. there not being honest.
      12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line

My dealer just told me he believes that I have to pay for the ASS coding. I know he is wrong. Does anyone have a link or reference that I can send him?

Thanks
      12-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird View Post
My dealer just told me he believes that I have to pay for the ASS coding. I know he is wrong. Does anyone have a link or reference that I can send him?

Thanks

SI B12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production.

PROCEDURE
Explain the benefits of the MSA technology to the customer:

The environmental benefit of reduced greenhouse gases and the financial benefit of improved fuel economy

The attachment is a document that you can share with customers, which provides an overview and answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. It should be given to all customers at the time of sale, and placed inside service loaner vehicles equipped with MSA.

Should a customer still request “Last user mode,” submit a PuMA case entitled “Activate MSA memory conversion.”

The IBAC code necessary to perform this conversion will be provided in the response to the PuMA case.

Using the latest version of ISTA/P, perform the conversion “Activate MSA memory,” along with a complete vehicle coding and any required programming as determined in the measures plan.

Upon successful completion of the measures plan, the option OMSA is added to the vehicle order.

Note: When the ISTA system message displays: Battery voltage only “XX.XX” V. Please connect charger. Please note the displayed battery voltage reading in the repair order comments section.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The conversion procedure outlined above can be submitted for reimbursement, one time on eligible vehicles, during the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty coverage period of 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Last edited by claykin; 12-13-2012 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
LollerAgent
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line

Thanks!
      12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
SI B12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production.

PROCEDURE
Explain the benefits of the MSA technology to the customer:

The environmental benefit of reduced greenhouse gases and the financial benefit of improved fuel economy

The attachment is a document that you can share with customers, which provides an overview and answers to some of the most commonly asked questions. It should be given to all customers at the time of sale, and placed inside service loaner vehicles equipped with MSA.

Should a customer still request “Last user mode,” submit a PuMA case entitled “Activate MSA memory conversion.”

The IBAC code necessary to perform this conversion will be provided in the response to the PuMA case.

Using the latest version of ISTA/P, perform the conversion “Activate MSA memory,” along with a complete vehicle coding and any required programming as determined in the measures plan.

Upon successful completion of the measures plan, the option OMSA is added to the vehicle order.

Note: When the ISTA system message displays: Battery voltage only “XX.XX” V. Please connect charger. Please note the displayed battery voltage reading in the repair order comments section.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The conversion procedure outlined above can be submitted for reimbursement, one time on eligible vehicles, during the BMW New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty coverage period of 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
I'd sure love to see the technical training course referenced in the bulletin. Does anyone have a copy?

It might give us some more details about whether or not ASS truly wears components out faster (as the Owner's Manual cautions) and what components, if any, have been beefed up to support ASS.

This is one of those cases where BMW's reticence to fully describe the system to consumers is mega-annoying.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

I asked my dealer to code ASS to last mode, before I first picked up my 335i, and they did.

A few weeks later I tried to use my HVAC heating and it didn't work.
Finally after a couple of trips to the shop they had to reprogram the system.
The explanation was that, when they coded the ASS that somehow interfered with the HVAC programming.

I tend to believe that because German electrical/electronic systems have always been tied together in weird ways.
In 1988 I bought a used 1982 Audi 5000S Turbo. One day I turned on the windshield wipers and all of sudden the radio started going in and out according to the beat of the wipers! I was like WTF is this?! Quick check and a fuse for the wipers was blown, replaced it an all was well.
BUT, how do the wipers keep working when the fuse is blown?
I guess it takes some power away from the audio system so that it can keep working.
Those crazy Germans.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I'd sure love to see the technical training course referenced in the bulletin. Does anyone have a copy?

It might give us some more details about whether or not ASS truly wears components out faster (as the Owner's Manual cautions) and what components, if any, have been beefed up to support ASS.

This is one of those cases where BMW's reticence to fully describe the system to consumers is mega-annoying.
According to BMW the starter has been beefed up to have a service life much longer than a standard starter. I don't recall the exact number, but there is a thread from a few months ago where we were talking about it. Do a search.
IIRC it was something like 5-8 times more starting cycles.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I asked my dealer to code ASS to last mode, before I first picked up my 335i, and they did.

A few weeks later I tried to use my HVAC heating and it didn't work.
Finally after a couple of trips to the shop they had to reprogram the system.
The explanation was that, when they coded the ASS that somehow interfered with the HVAC programming.tarted going in
HAHA.. they did my ASS and broke my heater.. go figure
      12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
HAHA.. they did my ASS and broke my heater.. go figure
Re-read your post. So you really got screwed?
Appreciate 0