F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Speeding Laws in different States
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Roki_014
Major
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (0)

Speeding Laws in different States

In IL

Aggravated Speeding (30 mph over the posted speeding limit). 625 ILCS 5/11-601.5. The law changed in 2011 making a speeding ticket for driving 30 mph over the limit a Class B misdemeanor. This type of ticket used to be a fine-only petty offense, but not anymore.

So you need a Lawyer and ever since they passed this law lawyers charge at least $500, so it is not cheap at all and the fine could be up to $1500

What is the law in your state?
Roki_014 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
chrisv_335EBII is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
AWF30
Private First Class
 
Drives: aw f30 m sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: nyc

Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
Why do you drive a 335
AWF30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
CE750Jockey
Private First Class
 
CE750Jockey's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv View Post
Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
Fail.
CE750Jockey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF30 View Post
Why do you drive a 335
Certainly not to endanger my own life or others...

Are you going to honestly tell me that driving 30 miles over the speed limit is a good idea?

BTW ~ Both a 328...ah hell even a Fiat 500 can go 30 miles over the speed limit.
chrisv_335EBII is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
vinny84
Lieutenant
 
vinny84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dallastown, PA

Posts: 544
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv
Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
I don't agree with you here.

Most cars now a days can go 100mph easily, and smoothly
__________________
M235i ED Delivered on: 5/21/14
M235i Re-Delivery at Dealer: 7/16/14
vinny84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I don't agree with you here.

Most cars now a days can go 100mph easily, and smoothly
I am not simply talking about the stability of my vehicle at speed in excess of 100mph. I'm saying if someone exceeds the posted limit by more than 30mph they should be jailed.

Residential roads in MD has a limit of between 15 - 25 mph. I can smoothly operate my car 45-55 mph. However, it does not make it a good idea on these roads. What if a child run out into the road? I'm less likely to hit them at 15mph vs 45mph. There is a reason there are speed limits.

As for highway speeds. The max in MD is 65 but I know states with limits as high at 80 mph. If our highway system was setup like the German autobahn then maybe we could drive in speed over 100mph but on our highway systems this is not a good idea. If you are in an accident at those speeds you will likely not only kill yourself but whomever else is involved in the accident.
chrisv_335EBII is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

I'm sorry, but cchrisv seems to be the only other one in here so far that has some common sense. The rest of you sound like a bunch of college kids who think it's cool to drink and drive, blast base music at 2AM, and do peel-outs at the lights.

It's one thing to enjoy driving a fast, sporty car with good handling. It's another thing to willfully endanger not only your own life, but those of every other driver/pedestrian around you.

Yes, everyone (including me) drives above the posted speed limit most of the time, but usually this is at most 10-15 mph over. Let's say limit is 65 on a highway. I'd at most do 80. You're talking about doing 95+. In NY, if you go 10 mph over, police ignore you. At 10-15, if they're a total dick they'll pull you over and ticket you. 20+ and you're definitely getting pulled over. If you're doing 30+, state law REQUIRES THEM TO HANDCUFF YOU AND TAKE YOU IN.

There's a reason why over half of fatal accidents are a result of speeding (higher than alcohol actually). When I want to drive fast and sporty and over the limit, I go to a local track on a track day. Then when I'm driving normally, I drive like a responsible person who wants to live past 40.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
EB_F30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Italy

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Not everyone has the luxury of having a local track near them. Fact is most get a car like a 335 because of it's performance nature...plain and simple. I will say there is a time and place to push the car...If you want to call it that as anything can happen but I think most on here are bright enough to not hit triple digits in a school zone.
EB_F30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of having a local track near them. Fact is most get a car like a 335 because of it's performance nature...plain and simple. I will say there is a time and place to push the car...If you want to call it that as anything can happen but I think most on here are bright enough to not hit triple digits in a school zone.
The time and place is NEVER on public roads. I would call into question how bright someone is if the are driving 30mph over the posted speed limit.

Not having a local track is not an excuse...
chrisv_335EBII is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of having a local track near them. Fact is most get a car like a 335 because of it's performance nature...plain and simple. I will say there is a time and place to push the car...If you want to call it that as anything can happen but I think most on here are bright enough to not hit triple digits in a school zone.
That's like saying I bought a gun but don't live near a range, so it's ok to shoot it on the streets. It's not like anyone forces people to buy 335s. I bought a 328 exactly because I knew I would use the full power of the 335 maybe at most once or twice a year, and that wasn't worth it.

Yes, there is a time and place to push a car, but that is NEVER on a public road. I don't care if drivers endanger themselves, that's the risk they assume, but it is NOT okay to endanger others around you. If you don't live in an area where you can legally drive a sports car to its limits, and that's a dead set requirement you have, then maybe you should consider a different car, or a different neighborhood.

You don't have to think you're driving dangerously to actually be driving dangerously. No one who was ever involved in an accident ever said afterwards "yeah I knew I was gonna get into that accident, but I went for it anyway".
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
cardsdoc
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Shaker Heights, OH

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30
Not everyone has the luxury of having a local track near them. Fact is most get a car like a 335 because of it's performance nature...plain and simple. I will say there is a time and place to push the car...If you want to call it that as anything can happen but I think most on here are bright enough to not hit triple digits in a school zone.
I will have to try the "I don't have a track near me" excuse next time I get pulled over and see if it flies.

I bought a 335 for its performance. I don't plan to drive 30+ over the speed limit. The torque and handling of this car can be appreciated at legal speeds to reasonable over the limit speeds.
__________________
2013 335i xDrive sedan, sport line, melbourne red/black/black trim/red accent, premium, cold weather, tech pkg, dhp, sport AT, PDC, rear cam, auto high beams

2009 335i xDrive sedan (gone, my first BMW)
cardsdoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
bnekic
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 368
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchrisv
Driving 30mph over the speedlimit should send someone to jail....
Haha ok. I routinely go 100+ on the freeway, the car gets up there so effortlessly it's not my fault.

People eating, reading, texting, doing make-up, not paying attention or driving too slow should go to jail.
bnekic is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
EB_F30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Italy

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
That's like saying I bought a gun but don't live near a range, so it's ok to shoot it on the streets. It's not like anyone forces people to buy 335s. I bought a 328 exactly because I knew I would use the full power of the 335 maybe at most once or twice a year, and that wasn't worth it.

Yes, there is a time and place to push a car, but that is NEVER on a public road. I don't care if drivers endanger themselves, that's the risk they assume, but it is NOT okay to endanger others around you. If you don't live in an area where you can legally drive a sports car to its limits, and that's a dead set requirement you have, then maybe you should consider a different car, or a different neighborhood.

You don't have to think you're driving dangerously to actually be driving dangerously. No one who was ever involved in an accident ever said afterwards "yeah I knew I was gonna get into that accident, but I went forY it anyway".
I understand where you're coming from...but your gun analogy is a little far fetched. You say you bought a 328 exactly because you knew you would use the full power of the 335 maybe at most once or twice a year, and that wasn't worth it....well I bought the 335 with the full intentions of using it....a lot.

Guess being overseas has changed my views...the average speed here is a lot different then the states. To me 95 + (in ideal conditions) is perfectly safe but hey, that's just me. In the streets of a neighborhood or residential area is just plain stupid.
EB_F30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
EB_F30
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Italy

Posts: 298
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
Haha ok. I routinely go 100+ on the freeway, the car gets up there so effortlessly it's not my fault.

People eating, reading, texting, doing make-up, not paying attention or driving too slow should go to jail.
EB_F30 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
ric124
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ric124's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i SP 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 1,556
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I agree with no speeding on residential roads, etc but I do not see an issue on the highway especially if everyone follows road rules like passing on the left, use your mirrors, etc Drivers in the country dont seem to know the mirrors are there for other than putting on makeup checking hair and teeth etc.

Anyway here is the info on Florida:

Speeding Fines:

1-5 miles over the posted speed limit Warning.
6-9 miles over the posted speed limit $25.00 plus court costs.
10-14 miles over the posted speed limit $100.00 plus court costs.
15-19 miles over the posted speed limit $125.00 plus court costs.
20-29 miles over the posted speed limit $150.00 plus court costs.
30+ miles over the posted speed limit $250.00 plus court costs.
Speeding fines are doubled in school zones and construction zones.
__________________
Timeline: 335i Sport W/ Adaptive M suspension| Sport Variable steering| Technology PKG| HK Sound PKG| BMW apps| BMW Assist| Sport line hand brake grip| M Performance black kidneys|
ric124 is offline   Jamaica
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #17
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 801
iTrader: (0)

Cchrisv's statement about jail may be just a bit more than warranted, but I'm surprised to see the kind of reaction from so many that think it is ok to do 30+ over speed limit.

Btw I believe that doing a 60 on a 30 is not the same as doing a 95 on a 65, the former being more dangerous since you would be going double the speed limit in that case. So going to jail for doing a 60 on 30? Maybe yes. But jail for doing a 95 on a 65? I don't think so... a hefty fine should suffice. But then again that is my opinion.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Roki_014
Major
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

Posts: 1,230
iTrader: (0)

Ric seems like you are the only one that answered to my post, all I asked to see what kind of laws different states have regarding speeding compared to IL, tnx


Yes i agree its dangerous and stupid but it should not be treated equally as actually caring drugs or theft


Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I agree with no speeding on residential roads, etc but I do not see an issue on the highway especially if everyone follows road rules like passing on the left, use your mirrors, etc Drivers in the country dont seem to know the mirrors are there for other than putting on makeup checking hair and teeth etc.

Anyway here is the info on Florida:

Speeding Fines:

1-5 miles over the posted speed limit Warning.
6-9 miles over the posted speed limit $25.00 plus court costs.
10-14 miles over the posted speed limit $100.00 plus court costs.
15-19 miles over the posted speed limit $125.00 plus court costs.
20-29 miles over the posted speed limit $150.00 plus court costs.
30+ miles over the posted speed limit $250.00 plus court costs.
Speeding fines are doubled in school zones and construction zones.
Roki_014 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
Ric seems like you are the only one that answered to my post, all I asked to see what kind of laws different states have regarding speeding compared to IL, tnx


Yes i agree its dangerous and stupid but it should not be treated equally as actually caring drugs or theft
Considering that in the US over half of fatal accidents are due to people significantly speeding (at least 30% over speed limit), I would say excessive speeding is more dangerous than theft. Obviously the laws and rules are different for different countries. But given your average American driver and how easy it is to get a license here, I would say a night in jail is appropriate for 30+ over limit.

ric, if everyone followed driving rules to the letter we would all be perfectly safe going 120 mph. In fact, once Google car is out of development and takes over the roads, I wouldn't be surprised to see them zipping around at 100+ regularly. However, the point is, even if you follow all the rules, there will always be others who don't.

To all those who say it's perfectly okay to blast around at 100+ on highways just because you have a high performance car, I can only say I'm glad you are nowhere near NYC. I've seen too many aftermaths of speeding accidents to ever want to be involved in one.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #20
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
Yes i agree its dangerous and stupid but it should not be treated equally as actually caring drugs or theft
Its less dangerous for my to carry a bag of weed than driving 30mph over the speed limit.

Maryland speeding laws are:
In Maryland, each moving violation offense is assessed a number (or point value) from one to 12. You must be convicted of the offense for the points to go into effect on your driving record. The higher the number, the more weight the offense has against your record (and ultimately your bank account).

When you tally eight to 11 points in a two-year time frame, you might start questioning whether you are becoming a detriment to the road. You will have plenty of time to ponder because, at this point, the MVA will suspend your license.

Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs - 12
Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs - 8
Unlawful use of your driver's license - 12
Loaning or borrowing a driver's license - 12
Speeding (up to 9 mph over) - 1
Speeding (more than 9 mph over) - 2
Speeding (exceeding 65 mph by 10 mph - 19 mph) - 2
Speeding (exceeding 65 mph by 20 mph - 29 mph) - 5
Speeding (30 mph and over) - 5
Driving without a license - 5
Speed contests - 5
Driving alone with a permit - 5
Driving without proof of insurance - 5
Reckless driving - 6
Possessing or diving with a suspended or revoked license - 12
Failure to stop at a stop sign - 1
Improper turn - 1
Failure to yield - 0-5 points, depending on exact infraction

BTW anything over 20mph in Maryland is considered Reckless diriving. The cop will give you a speeding ticket and a reckless driving ticket.
chrisv_335EBII is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
F30SD
Private First Class
 
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

There is a big difference between reckless driving (weaving in and out of lanes, passing on the right, cutting people off) to maintain 95 mph on the freeway and driving with the speed of traffic which in CA happens to be 85, (limit is 65) Going 10 mph faster than the car next to you is not dangerous. Cutting off cars and weaving around other vehicles is.
I was driving on the autobahn in October and most vehicles drove about 75-80mph, Trucks drove slower around 65. But some cars did 120+ and they slowed down when there were cars in front of them, passed them and accelerated back up to 120. No accidents. Also I think driving 100 makes you pay more attention to the road.
There were no cops, eating up tax revenue, sitting on the side of the road preying on drivers going 100 mph or 80 or 70, no threat of arrest or fine, and everyone was safe, no one died, the world did not end. People passed on the left and if you were going slower than the car behind you, you moved over to the right. There was no bs, I am going the speed limit (65) so I can be in the fast lane and blocking all traffic behind me even though the normal speed on that road is 85.

All in all instead of a top down commandment mandating everyone drive exactly the same, there was a bottom up approach where each driver made a decision to drive safely for the road in question. That means performance cars like my 335 drove faster than a beat up truck.

Not to mention the fact the speed limits are set deliberately below the safe "natural flow" rate to generate income for the state.

I think we would be much better of without speed limits in the US, but strong enforcement of reckless driving. So you can't do 100+ if everyone else is doing 40, and you have to weave through traffic.
F30SD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post
There is a big difference between reckless driving (weaving in and out of lanes, passing on the right, cutting people off) to maintain 95 mph on the freeway and driving with the speed of traffic which in CA happens to be 85, (limit is 65) Going 10 mph faster than the car next to you is not dangerous. Cutting off cars and weaving around other vehicles is.
I was driving on the autobahn in October and most vehicles drove about 75-80mph, Trucks drove slower around 65. But some cars did 120+ and they slowed down when there were cars in front of them, passed them and accelerated back up to 120. No accidents. Also I think driving 100 makes you pay more attention to the road.
There were no cops, eating up tax revenue, sitting on the side of the road preying on drivers going 100 mph or 80 or 70, no threat of arrest or fine, and everyone was safe, no one died, the world did not end. People passed on the left and if you were going slower than the car behind you, you moved over to the right. There was no bs, I am going the speed limit (65) so I can be in the fast lane and blocking all traffic behind me even though the normal speed on that road is 85.

All in all instead of a top down commandment mandating everyone drive exactly the same, there was a bottom up approach where each driver made a decision to drive safely for the road in question. That means performance cars like my 335 drove faster than a beat up truck.

Not to mention the fact the speed limits are set deliberately below the safe "natural flow" rate to generate income for the state.

I think we would be much better of without speed limits in the US, but strong enforcement of reckless driving. So you can't do 100+ if everyone else is doing 40, and you have to weave through traffic.
I would like to point out the test driver that was in the fatal incident on the Autobahn in a 3 series. While I have nothing but respect and condolences for him and his family, I doubt such an accident would have been fatal had he and all other traffic been going at the same speeds, or even with only a 20mph difference. Accidents like this happen when one driver is doing say 40, while another is doing 80 or 90.

I don't know how driving is around your area, but in NY every other driver is some crazy asshole who'll swerve past 2 lanes without signalling or checking to see if there is traffic. I have to adopt a very "active/aggressive" driving stance in NY, to constantly avoid the idiots who would otherwise cause an accident. If you're doing 100+ on a highway and come across one of these idiots, you'll definitely crash.

As I said, if everyone else drove like a sane person then yes speeding to 90 on a highway is perfectly safe. But everyone around here drives like an idiot, and if you then allowed people to drive at 90+mph without consequences, we'd see at least a twofold increase in deaths on the road. Ultimately I'd rather sacrifice some driving pleasure to save lives, but then maybe that's just my priorities.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST