F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Removing Transport Grease
ARMA SPEED

12-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
westcory
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Removing Transport Grease

There is a yellow grease that is used during transport to avoid corrosion ( so i was told by the dealer) that is draining down my sides kits. Has anyone had any luck getting this off? I have tried soap and pressure washer and its not even budging.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

It is called cosmoline. I've never had to remove any from my cars, but now you have a term to search with.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcory View Post
There is a yellow grease that is used during transport to avoid corrosion ( so i was told by the dealer) that is draining down my sides kits. Has anyone had any luck getting this off? I have tried soap and pressure washer and its not even budging.
I've got the same issue on my passenger side. It's too cold here to do much right now, unfortunately. I'm hoping it'll at least warm up to above freezing one day soon so I can try to get it off.

Spray and microfibre did nothing to remove it, so I'm guessing it'll need some sort of strong emulsifier or maybe a mild solvent.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
westcory
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Dot View Post
I've got the same issue on my passenger side. It's too cold here to do much right now, unfortunately. I'm hoping it'll at least warm up to above freezing one day soon so I can try to get it off.

Spray and microfibre did nothing to remove it, so I'm guessing it'll need some sort of strong emulsifier or maybe a mild solvent.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
The dealer cleaned it once but this stuff doesnt come off with anything I would want to put on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

I had the same issue, had it dripping from 4 points under the doors, unto side skirt. I took it to dealer and they took it right off. the rep told me they used rubbing compound. I was skeptical and on attack mode because the first thing that came to mind was scratching and swirls. Very happy that was not the case, it removed that yellow stuff and looks great
Appreciate 0