F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My under warranty car fire and BMW Customer relations response
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #67
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,912
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Nice summary! OP should have dealt with BMW alone and not get insurance involved but since he already got payout from insurance for value of car which is roughly $25k plus could have gotten $7.5k from BMW = 32.5k this sounds fair. Bad move on OP for getting insurance involved tho. $20k for a brand new BMW is not bad
I think you are more optimistic that BMW would have done anything other than referring him to his insurance company than I am. Maybe I'm wrong but my money is they would have told him to pound sand and go to insurance
__________________
2015 Austin Yellow M4 | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #68
Hayir
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i modern line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

OP stated that BMW couldn`t identified the reason they never had told him that it is not their fault.

Think you car is broken under warranty you take it to dealer, they tell you that they can`t identify the problem and they refuse to repair under warranty. What would you say?

If they are refusing to pay under warranty they need to give some reason. In this case Bmw at least owes an answer to the OP. With this logic BMW could simply avoid all the warranty claims, they can say they couldn`t find a proof showing that it is manufacturer defect.
__________________
2013 328i
Modern line imperial blue/oyster, ZPP, ZCW, ZDH, ZLP, ZTP, Harman Kardon, park distance, High beam assist, Sundahes
Hayir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #69
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
OP stated that BMW couldn`t identified the reason they never had told him that it is not their fault.

Think you car is broken under warranty you take it to dealer, they tell you that they can`t identify the problem and they refuse to repair under warranty. What would you say?

If they are refusing to pay under warranty they need to give some reason. In this case Bmw at least owes an answer to the OP. With this logic BMW could simply avoid all the warranty claims, they can say they couldn`t find a proof showing that it is manufacturer defect.
^ Untrue

Let's say you take in a car to a dealership, and the engine belt is loose, or a part is worn out or broken, or your transmission snapped. That's an identifiable problem with a covered part, and they'll repair it under warranty.

But if you take it in, and they find say you poured chocolate syrup in the oil receptacle causing it to fail. This will NOT be covered by warranty.

If you take a car in claiming there is a problem, but that problem cannot be isolated or replicated, what does the dealership do? Turn you away.

In this case neither insurance company nor BMW could find any evidence suggesting it was a mechanical failure (IE sth covered by warranty) and not say, negligence, improper repair, or act of nature. Therefore, BMW owes OP nothing.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #70
tuned2ride
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 323
iTrader: (0)

OP is definitely disconnected, unrealistic and unreasonable. Unless he really believe in Santa Claus.
tuned2ride is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #71
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Hey, Santa is real.

And there needs to be some sort of rudementary intelligence test that prospective forum members must pass before they can post. There's a whole lot of stupid in this thread. Either all of these folks are twelve, or they've never lived a single day on their own to learn how the world (and business) works.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this forum is damn entertaining. Crappy analogies. Horrible math. Warped logic. So much win!
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #72
Hayir
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i modern line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
^ Untrue

Let's say you take in a car to a dealership, and the engine belt is loose, or a part is worn out or broken, or your transmission snapped. That's an identifiable problem with a covered part, and they'll repair it under warranty.

But if you take it in, and they find say you poured chocolate syrup in the oil receptacle causing it to fail. This will NOT be covered by warranty.

If you take a car in claiming there is a problem, but that problem cannot be isolated or replicated, what does the dealership do? Turn you away.

In this case neither insurance company nor BMW could find any evidence suggesting it was a mechanical failure (IE sth covered by warranty) and not say, negligence, improper repair, or act of nature. Therefore, BMW owes OP nothing.
In your example you say that BMW gives you a reason to show that it is not that responsibility(i.e: the chocolote syrup.) This is the answer I am ralking about. They need a reason to deny a claim.

In OP`s story BMW says they don`t know the reason for the problem.

If you got your car towed into the dealer and BMW says you that they don`t know what caused the problem so they won`t repair it. What would you do? Wouldn`t you ask for the reason?
__________________
2013 328i
Modern line imperial blue/oyster, ZPP, ZCW, ZDH, ZLP, ZTP, Harman Kardon, park distance, High beam assist, Sundahes
Hayir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #73
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
In your example you say that BMW gives you a reason to show that it is not that responsibility(i.e: the chocolote syrup.) This is the answer I am ralking about. They need a reason to deny a claim.

In OP`s story BMW says they don`t know the reason for the problem.

If you got your car towed into the dealer and BMW says you that they don`t know what caused the problem so they won`t repair it. What would you do? Wouldn`t you ask for the reason?
In any other case, the car still physically exists, so at most they'll replace the entire section that is malfunctioning (IE seat doesn't work, they dunno why, they'll just put in a new seat).

In this case, the whole front of the car's gone. Now, at most, BMW would be required to replace your car with a similar make/model/year/mileage (think about it, if your engine breaks, they'll at most replace that, not give you a new car). But insurance already stepped in and paid for a comparable car. OP is dissatisfied and wants upgrade. That's unreasonable.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #74
Hayir
Private First Class
 
Drives: 328i modern line
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Detroit, MI

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
In any other case, the car still physically exists, so at most they'll replace the entire section that is malfunctioning (IE seat doesn't work, they dunno why, they'll just put in a new seat).

In this case, the whole front of the car's gone. Now, at most, BMW would be required to replace your car with a similar make/model/year/mileage (think about it, if your engine breaks, they'll at most replace that, not give you a new car). But insurance already stepped in and paid for a comparable car. OP is dissatisfied and wants upgrade. That's unreasonable.
I never said that bmw should give a new car. You are right the result for OP wouldn`t change a lot if BMw pays or insurance pays. most likely he would get the same amount. May be some insurance rate savings possible.
__________________
2013 328i
Modern line imperial blue/oyster, ZPP, ZCW, ZDH, ZLP, ZTP, Harman Kardon, park distance, High beam assist, Sundahes
Hayir is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #75
chrisny
Colonel
 
Drives: Msport '13 335xi & '14 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 2,304
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins76
So if people have different opinion than yours, you call them poor judgment and poor taste? ha...you are funny.
Different opinion? Seriously? You really think you made an appropriate analogy, accidental car fire to brutal murder of innocent children???

Why hasn't this moron been banned yet?
chrisny is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #76
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Different opinion? Seriously? You really think you made an appropriate analogy, accidental car fire to brutal murder of innocent children???

Why hasn't this moron been banned yet?
+1
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #77
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,912
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
I wonder what the OP's thoughts are at this point? He has been pretty quiet in his thread. I would be interested if he still feels strongly that he was wronged or if his opinion shifted after reading the comments in this thread.
__________________
2015 Austin Yellow M4 | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #78
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I wonder what the OP's thoughts are at this point? He has been pretty quiet in his thread. I would be interested if he still feels strongly that he was wronged or if his opinion shifted after reading the comments in this thread.
OP came expecting us all to sympathize with him and say how stupid BMW was and how right he is. Once he realized that's not the case he disappeared, probably to post the same rant on other boards to try to get sympathy.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #79
BMWrules7
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Why are some people on this board so hostile to the OP?

Let's just say, the OP concluded that he may have been wrong. I am not saying he changed his view. But, let us say he was enlightened.

Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one? Why is it so unreasonable to fathom that some of our discussion here opened his eyes?

If true, then why are some making disparaging remarks about the OP? This is tantamount to bullying.
BMWrules7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #80
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one?
Because people with unrealistic expectations makes things difficult for the rest of us, when we find ourselves in similar situations.
__________________
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
BMWrules7
Major
 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Why do some on this board feel the need to rip the OP a new one?
Because people with unrealistic expectations makes things difficult for the rest of us, when we find ourselves in similar situations.



Perhaps. But, how can you learn and grow from others when they are downright nasty.

Is this a place to share ideas, or is it a one way street where anyone that doesn't have the knowledge they are seeking is belittled, harangued, and made to feel inferior.
BMWrules7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #82
Rick4345
Lieutenant
 
Rick4345's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i Mineral Gray
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois

Posts: 442
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wins76 View Post
So you don't think that fire would kill him if he stay minutes longer? How about when he dies, BMW just gives his family $7500?
We're talking about an adult here. He made the choice to buy the car. Plus he can make a decision to bail and save himself. In my 23 years as a state trooper, I have yet to see anyone die from an engine fire. Those 20 kids didn't chose to be killed by some maniac. He's going to be home for Christmas. Those kids aren't. Get your priorities straight. You can't begin to compare this to the mess some 20 year old asswipe did.
Rick4345 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #83
SamS
Brigadier General
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Perhaps. But, how can you learn and grow from others when they are downright nasty.

Is this a place to share ideas, or is it a one way street where anyone that doesn't have the knowledge they are seeking is belittled, harangued, and made to feel inferior.
I don't advocate any nastiness. Just realistic expectations.
__________________
SamS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #84
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
OP stated that BMW couldn`t identified the reason they never had told him that it is not their fault.

Think you car is broken under warranty you take it to dealer, they tell you that they can`t identify the problem and they refuse to repair under warranty. What would you say?

If they are refusing to pay under warranty they need to give some reason. In this case Bmw at least owes an answer to the OP. With this logic BMW could simply avoid all the warranty claims, they can say they couldn`t find a proof showing that it is manufacturer defect.
+1
EnerJi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #85
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NH-CT

Posts: 286
iTrader: (0)

Just saying... Had an Audi A6 3.2 that went through two motors before 45k and they gave 40k off sticker on a A8L brand new...

To the OP: they won't pay you for depreciation, time and anguish yes but the car was 40k miles old you won't get a full brand new call
__________________
'12 335i Sport Apline White w/black... Totaled

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
1.fresh.f30.335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #86
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.fresh.f30.335 View Post
Just saying... Had an Audi A6 3.2 that went through two motors before 45k and they gave 40k off sticker on a A8L brand new...

To the OP: they won't pay you for depreciation, time and anguish yes but the car was 40k miles old you won't get a full brand new call
In your case there was a PROVEN fault with a factory part (the engine), so the fault was obviously with Audi. In OP's case there is no proof it was a manufacturer fault.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #87
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami Beach

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
In your case there was a PROVEN fault with a factory part (the engine), so the fault was obviously with Audi. In OP's case there is no proof it was a manufacturer fault.
But there is also no proof that it wasn't a manufacturer fault. The reasonable solution is to meet somewhere in the middle, which BMW obviously tried to do, but the OP apparently wasn't ready or didn't have the available cash on-hand to jump up to a brand new car, despite the $7,500 discount.

The OP has gone silent so we may never know, but in this case if the first offer (a discount off of a new car) was unacceptable, then BMW should have offered alternatives, such as a lesser amount of cash towards a used or CPO equivalent model. This would have paid for his deductible, offset some of his inevitable premium increase in the coming years, and ensured he could get into an equivalent model without an out-of-pocket expense.
EnerJi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #88
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnerJi View Post
But there is also no proof that it wasn't a manufacturer fault. The reasonable solution is to meet somewhere in the middle, which BMW obviously tried to do, but the OP apparently wasn't ready or didn't have the available cash on-hand to jump up to a brand new car, despite the $7,500 discount.

The OP has gone silent so we may never know, but in this case if the first offer (a discount off of a new car) was unacceptable, then BMW should have offered alternatives, such as a lesser amount of cash towards a used or CPO equivalent model. This would have paid for his deductible, offset some of his inevitable premium increase in the coming years, and ensured he could get into an equivalent model without an out-of-pocket expense.
Yes, but as I pointed out, OP wasn't concerned with it being too expensive and not having enough money. He was okay with only 5k off if he could still bitch to media. OP just wanted a bigger bribe for his silence on the matter.
Tsuyoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
335d, bmw na, car fire, customer relations, thermal event

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST