F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires > Tire change, can never get away without being marred up.
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 2k11 335is
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Tire change, can never get away without being marred up.

Just took my car into the dealer to get a new tire from nail damage. I was hoping my virgin wheels wouldn't get scraped up at the dealer but not a chance. Seems like BMW can get the tires on without banging them up but no one even the dealer seems to be able to replace them without scraps all the way around the rim and dings on the outside.

I'm almost to the point of being desensitized and expect problems every time I take my car in. What would happen if I bought new rims, I would get them banged up brand new?

My last car I called all kinds of places and one claimed a touch-less process and all four were scraped up. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
bcl0328
Major
38
Rep
1,160
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Abingdon, MD

iTrader: (0)

dealer will always fuck your car up. i took mine for oil change and i notice 2 small indents under the rocker panel from where they lifted the car. you can't see it unless you are under the car but i know it's there. not worth the hassle to try to make them fix it i guess. i knew something would happen before i took it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
vrrooom
SES
vrrooom's Avatar
Cayman Islands
1
Rep
185
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NH,GCayman,Chateau region DE

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Do and document all marks on drop off

I always do a walk around with my sa on drop off, and make sure it is documented on their form. If anything happens, and it does, get a new wheel - I did.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
England
89
Rep
2,572
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

iTrader: (0)

My dealer always takes great care of my cars. Once they made a mistake on an oil change when I had my 330d and forgot to fully top it up but they held their hands up, apologised and said just bring it in whenever is convenient for you and we'll top it up right away! Other than that, they've been absolutely flawless, unlike many BMW dealerships in the UK and almost every single one in the US haha. They deservingly won Best BMW UK Dealership not long ago.

I also scuffed my 189 alloy on a curb rather annoyingly so I had them sort it out at service and they came back looking absolutely pristine and factory fresh!

What's also nice is that I can walk in the showroom at any time and multiple staff will greet me with my first name at no hesitation. And a quintessentially British offer of a brew

Shame you guys don't get the same level of service!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
BMWrules7
Major
20
Rep
1,070
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123
My dealer always takes great care of my cars. Once they made a mistake on an oil change when I had my 330d and forgot to fully top it up but they held their hands up, apologised and said just bring it in whenever is convenient for you and we'll top it up right away! Other than that, they've been absolutely flawless, unlike many BMW dealerships in the UK and almost every single one in the US haha. They deservingly won Best BMW UK Dealership not long ago.

I also scuffed my 189 alloy on a curb rather annoyingly so I had them sort it out at service and they came back looking absolutely pristine and factory fresh!

What's also nice is that I can walk in the showroom at any time and multiple staff will greet me with my first name at no hesitation. And a quintessentially British offer of a brew

Shame you guys don't get the same level of service!
Wait, dealer offers you an alcoholic beverage?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rossifumi's Avatar
No_Country
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: Some BMW
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

If the dealer can't even change a tire without damaging the wheel you should go to another dealer. There is no problem at all changing tires without scratches. I haven't seen any visible scratches on my wheels on any car. And we are talking about low profile (2xx/25's) on the last 3-4 cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
alex2364
Captain
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
708
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You're going to the wrong places. I've gone to plenty of touchless tire places and they've never scratched my wheel. When you drop the car off you have to tell them your wheels are virgin and tell them to walk around the car with you. Point out your wheels and tell them you expect no scratches when you get the car back. And if they do come back scratched, make them buy you new ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
Rich@GTBPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
229
Rep
4,406
Posts


 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North New Jersey

iTrader: (20)

I echo the sentiments that a lot of people here are saying. There is no excuse for a dealer to damage your wheels while replacing tires. The problem is that so many people don't pay attention so they may not even notice they have an issue.
__________________
Email : rich@gtbperformance.com | Web : www.gtbperformance.com | Tel : 973 429 2839



GTB Performance is a supporting member of Bimmerpost and the BMW Car Club of America, NJ Chapter
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Just took my car into the dealer to get a new tire from nail damage. I was hoping my virgin wheels wouldn't get scraped up at the dealer but not a chance. Seems like BMW can get the tires on without banging them up but no one even the dealer seems to be able to replace them without scraps all the way around the rim and dings on the outside.

I'm almost to the point of being desensitized and expect problems every time I take my car in. What would happen if I bought new rims, I would get them banged up brand new?

My last car I called all kinds of places and one claimed a touch-less process and all four were scraped up. Oh well.
The solution is to asked the dealer to now pay for a new set of wheels.
I'm serious. There is NO need for your wheels to be scraped and scratched. That results from carelessness by the installer, who is doing it the fast way not the correct way to keep your wheels protected.
And, their machine might be very old and doesn't have any protectors left on it.

I don't mind the black marks that the the result of tire material stretching across the wheel, that happens and it's normal. But, scratches and especially scrapes along/around the wheel are there because of the idiot who did the install. They should not be working in a tire shop if they don't know how to install tires without damaging the customers property, which is what has happened to your wheels, if they are now scraped and scratched.

Since the dealer employee did the damage, the the dealership is responsible to make things right and get either new wheels, or have your wheels fixed to your satisfaction.

You make the payments, or you paid your cash for your car. It's not the dealers choice nor the employees to damage your car and expect to get away with it.
Call the dealership owner on it. Start with the manager and work your way up if you need to.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 2k11 335is
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Not into playing games here.

I worked with the service department, was very calm about it, they looked at it and they were nice about it (though they should have been up front about the minor damage to begin with) and would try to repair it or replace. I expressed that I would like it replace but they said they would try to repair or they would have to eat the cost of a $400 rim. They claimed it usually takes a day and the wheel repair guy would look at it butwould replace if its not simple. They would go ahead and order a new rim and have it there in case.

Nice, perfect, starting out very good, no hassles great. They said the new rim would come in Tuesday. I said it made more sense to drop off Tues. expecting the results and if not have my car back with the new rim at the end of the day to match the other new ones, easy.....NOT.

DAY 1: Dropped off, they offered a loaner which I normally woudl take but I could be dropped off and picked up since I'm down the road and took off work. They said we have a shuttle but lets wait in the lobby and I'll come get you and see what we can work out. I waited patiently, sitting quietly, an hour goes by, then the next. After two hours thinking my car was being worked on or something which they should have done if they were providing good service, I finally asked the loaner/rental desk after I saw some people come and go. They found the service rep forgot about me in the lobby! They put me in a loaner, not happy I just took the loaner and left.

They called four or five hours later and I just missed the call and left a message saying the repair guy said I have annodized rims and can't be done on site and he would need to take the rim. I called back immedaitely and left messages that I thought we would replace it in this case and prefer they do that.

DAY 2: The next day I Email asking what is going on because I thought they would put the new rim on they ordered since now it is not an easy fix and I was concerned that I would end up with a wheel that does not look factory since these are now annodized rims. The response was "it is an easy fix and takes time" without telling me how much time or anything else than their manager would call within the hour to explain. No calls, I call and Email, no response. Wednesday came and went. I tried to Email at the end of the day, no luck.

DAY 3: Thursday I let it go until the afternoon and no calls or Emails. Early afternoon I attempt to call the manager and service rep, no answer, call main number, no one is available. Finally I just gave up and drove down there . Manager claims he tried to call me a couple of times. I have no calls on my called id or cell records show no calls, nor any messages. When I asked about the rim, they claim they had ordered the rim, had it in the back but said they wanted to try to repair anyway to see if it turned out ok but that would be done possibly Monday (3 more days). Then we have Chistmas holiday so who knows after that.

I'm trying to be reasonable but I thought this was not acceptable and the whole purpose of ordering a new rim was if it turned out to be more than a simple repair, to just put the new rim on. He said the rim was here and gave me a description. Turns out they ordered a 19" rim instead of the stock 18x8.5" rim unless they were being dishonest to begin with. He couldn't find the correct part number and dissapeared for a while.

I asked how much the rim was because this morning I went online and I saw it for $370 at Tischer and if they could order one from there(they are covering the cost). They came back with $800. Wow so BMW's own parts people are rippnig off BMW Service?

I'm not sure what the deal is but it appears to be something a little shady and dishonest. Be honest with people, do what you agreed to, simple follow-up so people don't have to wonder about coordinating going to the dealer or not, return a call with specifics so people don't wonder what is happening if you don't get it done on time.


DAY 4: Friday I contact Tisher, yes we have the rim, I can have it ready in 4 minutes. ?Uh?.... these other guys say it takes days to get one?

D-DAY 5 is Saturday when they said they will call me to tell me something. They would get the new rim, make sure it matches and call me. Really five days for this? They lose a loaner car, they cause me frustration for nothing, it costs me time, it costs them time and money to attempt to repair and all they had to do is put a new rim on. If the new rim isn't on and my car is back to me without a scratch on it, I will be contacting the General Manager. All for minor damage on the rim.. sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The solution is to asked the dealer to now pay for a new set of wheels.
I'm serious. There is NO need for your wheels to be scraped and scratched. That results from carelessness by the installer, who is doing it the fast way not the correct way to keep your wheels protected.
And, their machine might be very old and doesn't have any protectors left on it.

I don't mind the black marks that the the result of tire material stretching across the wheel, that happens and it's normal. But, scratches and especially scrapes along/around the wheel are there because of the idiot who did the install. They should not be working in a tire shop if they don't know how to install tires without damaging the customers property, which is what has happened to your wheels, if they are now scraped and scratched.

Since the dealer employee did the damage, the the dealership is responsible to make things right and get either new wheels, or have your wheels fixed to your satisfaction.

You make the payments, or you paid your cash for your car. It's not the dealers choice nor the employees to damage your car and expect to get away with it.
Call the dealership owner on it. Start with the manager and work your way up if you need to.

Last edited by KevinJ; 12-21-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 2k11 335is
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

What is a good place?

I'm in NVA also. I notice Curry's just opened a shop down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
You're going to the wrong places. I've gone to plenty of touchless tire places and they've never scratched my wheel. When you drop the car off you have to tell them your wheels are virgin and tell them to walk around the car with you. Point out your wheels and tell them you expect no scratches when you get the car back. And if they do come back scratched, make them buy you new ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26
Rep
1,911
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Just took my car into the dealer to get a new tire from nail damage. I was hoping my virgin wheels wouldn't get scraped up at the dealer but not a chance. Seems like BMW can get the tires on without banging them up but no one even the dealer seems to be able to replace them without scraps all the way around the rim and dings on the outside.

I'm almost to the point of being desensitized and expect problems every time I take my car in. What would happen if I bought new rims, I would get them banged up brand new?

My last car I called all kinds of places and one claimed a touch-less process and all four were scraped up. Oh well.
BMWNA requires dealers purchase a leverless tire mounting machine.

BMWAG uses Hunter products (USA made) in their Germany, USA and SA factories.

http://www.hunter.com/tirechanger/index.cfm

Problem is that dealer has inexperienced person operating machine or they don't maintain the machine such as changing the plastic guide tips that wear out. When they wear its metal to aluminum rim which causes scrapes.

Tell dealer they need to remedy or buy you a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 2k11 335is
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the detail

This is why I went to the dealer so this wouldn't happen. If the damage were just around the lip it would be ok, but they marked up the outside and dug into the rim about 8-10" around and also other places.

I have been trying to work with them but they aren't working with me. They gave me a date which they would put the new rim on, which they didn't do. They were trying to re-annodize the rim or something which I said I don't want if it won't match. They still proceed to do that. They aren't returning calls, vaugh on details where I had to show up there. They ordered the wrong part.

Five days the car is on a jack stand on the axel. Will that cause any issues?

So at this point I perceive that they have far more problems at BMW of Alexandria. Your knowledge of the issue is a tell that their installer doesn't know what they are doing then. Rims are now much like any other body part and now expensive. You would think they know better how to handle this by now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
BMWNA requires dealers purchase a leverless tire mounting machine.

BMWAG uses Hunter products (USA made) in their Germany, USA and SA factories.

http://www.hunter.com/tirechanger/index.cfm

Problem is that dealer has inexperienced person operating machine or they don't maintain the machine such as changing the plastic guide tips that wear out. When they wear its metal to aluminum rim which causes scrapes.

Tell dealer they need to remedy or buy you a new wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #14
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: 2k11 335is
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Is BMW Service the new DMV?

Sorry for the book here, publicly documenting for myself maybe, skip to the end.

In the beginning it appeared that they had their act together. Now they act like I went in the back and repaired my own wheel and caused their damage?

They claim they never were going to call me today when the new rim came in to verify they received it and it matched, and possibly go ahead and put that one one, they were going to call on Monday. So this is not true, they were going to call me both days and maybe the car would be ready on Saturday/today. They agree they ordered the wrong part (which is something I pointed out to them) as part of the delay but appears they had no intention of using it. I'm not convinced they ordered rim previous. I found out that they could have had the part the same day if they wanted.

They disagree about replacing the rim before seeing the repaired one. They agree that if I don't like the repair, then they would replace it with the new one they ordered and had on hand. In that case I said what was the whole point, they could have replaced from the beginning knowing it was not a simple patch and paint repair as agreed and again have had five days, Monday morning will be 6 days.

I said I would like the replacement offer at this point, them waiting for the repair is really their issue. It sounds like they are experimenting on the wheel and have never done one before.

They are saying I'm pushing for a new rim???? When I gave them my car un-damaged, they acknowledged the error and was going have it fixed in a day, have the new rim on hand and eat the cost. Their comeback now is that my rim is not new it has 9k miles on it.

I asked for his word that this will be resolved on Monday with the new rim on, he would verify the repair if it is acceptable or not and put the new one on anyway, I asked for his word and a hand shake. I then asked for that in writing and he refused, his word was enough. They claim that was an unfair comment and will not provide anything in writing. In my book, if you give your word, then you should have no problem to back it up in writing. Otherwise that is dishonest. I appologized to the other service reps in the room because this is not their issue.

I returned their loaner car since at this point I'm expected my car back. I don't owe anything here, they didn't do the work in the time agreed, they own me a new rim at this point and I want my car back "without any new damage".

We crossed paths after I dropped the loaner key and he said they might go ahead and put the new rim on today if they could, might call me if it will be ready today. Of course it is past their closing time now but he said "might" call which I took as I won't call you as usual.

I think they are attempting to try to repair something they have not repaired before instead of putting on the new rim, do things however they want regardless of what I question or the amount of time, keeping the car however long they want, go away and when we feel like it we will call you. In fact, from the beginning they attempted to pass off the damage.

Who knew that a simple nail in an inflated run-flat tire could turn into this.

Last edited by KevinJ; 12-22-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Sorry for the book here, publicly documenting for myself maybe, skip to the end.

In the beginning it appeared that they had their act together. Now they act like I went in the back and repaired my own wheel and caused their damage?

They claim they never were going to call me today when the new rim came in to verify they received it and it matched, and possibly go ahead and put that one one, they were going to call on Monday. So this is not true, they were going to call me both days and maybe the car would be ready on Saturday/today. They agree they ordered the wrong part (which is something I pointed out to them) as part of the delay but appears they had no intention of using it. I'm not convinced they ordered rim previous. I found out that they could have had the part the same day if they wanted.

They disagree about replacing the rim before seeing the repaired one. They agree that if I don't like the repair, then they would replace it with the new one they ordered and had on hand. In that case I said what was the whole point, they could have replaced from the beginning knowing it was not a simple patch and paint repair as agreed and again have had five days, Monday morning will be 6 days.

I said I would like the replacement offer at this point, them waiting for the repair is really their issue. It sounds like they are experimenting on the wheel and have never done one before.

They are saying I'm pushing for a new rim???? When I gave them my car un-damaged, they acknowledged the error and was going have it fixed in a day, have the new rim on hand and eat the cost. Their comeback now is that my rim is not new it has 9k miles on it.

I asked for his word that this will be resolved on Monday with the new rim on, he would verify the repair if it is acceptable or not and put the new one on anyway, I asked for his word and a hand shake. I then asked for that in writing and he refused, his word was enough. They claim that was an unfair comment and will not provide anything in writing. In my book, if you give your word, then you should have no problem to back it up in writing. Otherwise that is dishonest. I appologized to the other service reps in the room because this is not their issue.

I returned their loaner car since at this point I'm expected my car back. I don't owe anything here, they didn't do the work in the time agreed, they own me a new rim at this point and I want my car back "without any new damage".

We crossed paths after I dropped the loaner key and he said they might go ahead and put the new rim on today if they could, might call me if it will be ready today. Of course it is past their closing time now but he said "might" call which I took as I won't call you as usual.

I think they are attempting to try to repair something they have not repaired before instead of putting on the new rim, do things however they want regardless of what I question or the amount of time, keeping the car however long they want, go away and when we feel like it we will call you. In fact, from the beginning they attempted to pass off the damage.

Who knew that a simple nail in an inflated run-flat tire could turn into this.
Of course all that sucks.

I would call the general manager or owner, and at this point demand a NEW wheel, not a fixed or repaired wheel, but a NEW wheel.
They damaged your property and then want to tell you what you are going to accept? No way.

They are trying a repair and they hope you will not notice. Maybe you won't. Maybe the repair will be that good. But, it's your choice NOT theirs.
How they've handled this is BS as it puts you in a guessing game as to whether or not the wheel is new or repaired.

Call the GM or owner, and call BMWNA. Tell the GM that you expect a new wheel and won't take anything else.
Calling BMWNA is simply to make them aware of the hassle you're being put through, and maybe they can help. After all this does affect their reputation as well.
Plus, that way if that dealer tries to get the wheel replaced under warranty BMW will know about it. The cost for that wheel should come out of their pocket, not BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,144
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Calling BMWNA will yield you infinite dividends...I've learned.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
26
Rep
1,911
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Calling BMWNA will yield you infinite dividends...I've learned.
Like nothing? They typically advise "dealers are independent businesses...."
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST